Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: Paper and card

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Paper and card

I know this has been asked a thousand times but do you have favourite card and paper that’s good to cut?
    I bought some fairly expensive card thinking it would be good but it’s awful, only good for card bases.
    Also does anyone have a portrait 3? I’ve not really had a problem with my original portrait but wondered if it’s worth upgrading?
    Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobble21 View Post
    I know this has been asked a thousand times but do you have favourite card and paper that’s good to cut?
    I bought some fairly expensive card thinking it would be good but it’s awful, only good for card bases.
    Also does anyone have a portrait 3? I’ve not really had a problem with my original portrait but wondered if it’s worth upgrading?
    Thanks
    I use Lynda Chapmans card for toppers (Google will find it for you). I still have the original Portrait so can't help with your other question sorry.

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

I use a lot of AC (American Crafts - search engines will find it) card because it is 12x12, it cuts beautifully and has some great colours; the downside is it is quite expensive. I also love Graphtec's own adhesive backed card, and I make a lot of use of the plain white card supermarkets sell, it's A4 and about 160gsm, so cuts well plus it isn't expensive and goes through a printer really well.

Nice to see a new post on here by the way - no disrespect to Neries but I was getting fed up with her being the last one to post on here and that was ages ago... she was probably fed up with it too!!

Andi

Of course, I could always have posted something myself - DOH!!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Thanks
    For print and cut I use Supersmooth and Lydna Chapman's white card in various thickness's from 1.20 to 2.50gms. Recently started using the 'special' printing paper & card from Tattered Lace and Carnation Crafts. One side has a special coating. I have found Centura Pearl is not as thick as it use to be and cuts well on my Cameo on blade setting of 4. One packet off gold mirri from Create and Craft will not cut at all as it is too thick. It has a very white shiny reverse side. The silver in the same packet cuts fine as it is thinner

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    I use a lot of AC (American Crafts - search engines will find it) card because it is 12x12, it cuts beautifully and has some great colours; the downside is it is quite expensive. I also love Graphtec's own adhesive backed card, and I make a lot of use of the plain white card supermarkets sell, it's A4 and about 160gsm, so cuts well plus it isn't expensive and goes through a printer really well.

Nice to see a new post on here by the way - no disrespect to Neries but I was getting fed up with her being the last one to post on here and that was ages ago... she was probably fed up with it too!!

Andi

Of course, I could always have posted something myself - DOH!!!
    Andy I was fed up with it too, so please someone post after me.

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post

Andy I was fed up with it too, so please someone post after me.
    There Neries, now I'll be the one with the prehistoric reply that's the trouble when the site isn't seeing the amount of traffic that it used to, nothing seems to be encouraging people to post... lots of views but no participation... Oh well.

Andi

View Gallery

Thanks a lot for your replies, I'll try some of those makes of card. Still in two minds about upgrading my machine. I've got my original machine where you needed the caps as well, should have sold it but I can't see anybody wanting it now, there was nothing wrong with that one either to be honest.
    In the interest of Andi wanting more traffic I'm going to post two more questions.

View Gallery

I too use super smooth for print and cut. I have 120gsm and 240gsm (which also goes through my epson ecotank printer) and I have Lynda Chapmans 'brick' for my card blanks (this will go through my canon printer, but not through the epson)

I have a portrait with the optical eye, I sold my craft robo, reluctantly. Im sure someone would be more than happy if you decided to sell it. Especially if they want to dip their toe in the water. Can use the silhouette software with it so thats a bonus.

What does the portrait 3 give you that you don't have now? I changed my Robo, cause I wanted the optical eye.
    Maureen

View Gallery

Yes I'm not sure that there's enough new stuff to tempt me to get the portrait 3.
    I've got an Epson eco tank printer, I love it, so it's nice to know that 240gsm card goes through it.
    Last edited by bobble21; 25-04-2021 at 03:34 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Yes I'm not sure that there's enough new stuff to tempt me to get the portrait 3.
    I've got an Epson eco tank printer, I love it, so it's nice to know that 240gsm card goes through it.
    Bobble I checked the specifications at Graphtec on the Portrait 3 and they are almost the same as the Cameo 3 with the exception of the size of the mat and no extra tool holder. My Cameo 3 does cut beautifully Centura Pearl (250gsm at least) on a blade depth of 4 and I use my Cameo 3 all the time. In lots of ways I prefer it to my Cameo 4.

View Gallery

I use 200gsm as it goes through my printer great. If I want a heavier look, I glue 238gsm to the back of the 200 with a tape gun ATG.

I really enjoy UKScrappers as I think I live here some times- someone else said that before me.
    Petrina

View Gallery

I love UKS too, helped me a lot.

My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I've found that The Works and The Range own brand pads are perfect for my Silhouette and very reasonable. I know that the more expensive the paper/card the quicker it will be ruined by a mis-cut/movement within the process.
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That