Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Print on filled background

Please can someone tell me how I print into a filled shape? I have created a rounded square and filled it with the desired colour and now I want to put text onto it but when I send it to print it only prints the coloured square, despite having selected all. I shall be very grateful if someone is able to come up with the answer today.

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Does your design have layers? I suspect it does - so select your text and go to "layers" and select "bring to front". hope this helps.

View Gallery

Thank you for your quick response Yiayia, eventually found layers and clicked "Bring to front" but still no joy. How does one know if there are layers anyway? Is there a way of showing them? I suppose it's common sense that if one does something to a shape and then puts something else on top of it it's bound to be layered but it would be nice if one could see that.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I hope I'm understanding what you want to do. Click the scissors icon on the top toolbar and make sure both the text and the shape are set to "cut" then send it to the printer, if you want then want to cut just the shape out make sure the shape is set to "cut" and the text is set to "no cut" and send to your Robo/Sil machine.
    ETS
    make sure your text is the colour you want it to be
    Last edited by DJG; 31-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

View Gallery

Oh dear, not making any progress at all. Started again and filled background first, then moved text onto it and clicked "Bring to front". I could see grey outlines of boxes which appeared to represent the individual letters but still only the background printed. I do find graphics software frustrating, I'm sure it's simple when one knows how. Next thing I suppose is that the printer will be out of the coloured inks needed due to all the failed attempts. The dogs are looking at me with such reproach that I shall have to abandon things for the time being and take them out. Will probably try again later, even if it means tearing out more hair!

View Gallery

Oh, have just seen your response Doreen, thank you, I shall give it a try as soon as I have walked the dogs. In one attempt I did click "No Cut" on the text so maybe that is my problem - certainly hope so. Thanks again for your response, will let you know later in the day.

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Another way of thinking - I do this sometimes in another programme I have when I want the text to appear much bolder on the final item.

1. Build your design with all the elements in it.
    2. remove the text portion to the side - off the grid or page - and print the background
    3. click "undo" so the text goes back in exactly the same place it started
    4. remove the background to the side as above
    5. send it to print again - the text should then print on top of the pattern
    6. click "undo again so background goes back in its original place
    7. sent to SIL for cutting - it will then cut the shape and all should be well.

A bit convoluted but it works for me!!

I take it that you DON'T want to cut the text??
    Last edited by yiayia; 31-10-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: add info

View Gallery

Assuming as yiayia said and you don't want to cut the text just print it.

Here is a screen shot of what I've just printed and yes it printed exactly as you see on the screen shot
    Capture.PNG

all I did was fill the square with grey or whatever colour you want, place the text on top of the square and filled with black or colour and clicked on the print short cut button.

In case you are wondering why there are 2 identical images, 1 design the text has been converted to a path, the other was left as typed and only filled with colour.

If you don't want the text to have any fill, but you still want see it, you have to choose Print cut lines.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"

View Gallery

I have tried everything!! Redone it from scratch more times than I can count and sent to print so many times that my printer rollers are in danger of wearing out. Followed both sets of instructions and referred to the manual but for some reason I cannot get it to print the text, either on the filled background or off it. I have selected, deselected, cut uncut, you name the variation I'm sure I have tried it. Am now wondering if it's my printer that won't print on top of what it regards as already printed (I am using photo paper). It must be possible to print text on a filled background, surely that is how business cards are done, so I must be doing something wrong but I haven't a clue what. Am getting desperate as I need to deliver this today, if only my handwriting was presentable I'd resort to that.

View Gallery

Oh Lucille, your message wasn't visible when I posted my last message but thank you. Now, alas, another question! How do I tell it to print the cut lines? When I click on print it just gives me my printer options which of course do not offer any choice. I have selected the text and clicked on the Cut option (which I intend to remove before cutting the basic rounded square) but cannot fathom how to print the Cut lines. Sorry to be so dense but I am so frustrated that maybe I'm incapable of thinking straight!!

View Gallery

Lightbulb

EUREKA Lucille you mentioned the magic phrase "Fill the text"! That is what was missing. I had selected the text colour in the Lines menue but didn't realise that I had to fill it. I have been struggling for hours (started last night), I was sure that it was something simple but was too thick to work out what it was, now, thanks to all you lovely ladies who took the time to help I feel as if a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Sorry, I did say make the text the colour you want it but didn't add the word "fill"

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by murphysm1th View Post
    EUREKA Lucille you mentioned the magic phrase "Fill the text"! That is what was missing. I had selected the text colour in the Lines menue but didn't realise that I had to fill it. I have been struggling for hours (started last night), I was sure that it was something simple but was too thick to work out what it was, now, thanks to all you lovely ladies who took the time to help I feel as if a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders!
    I can empathise with you, every problem I've ever had with my machines has been a PICNIC moment, I get really cross with myself when it happens.

That is another reason I have to force myself to walk away and give myself time to think, or I just repeat the same stupid mistake over and over missing the obvious.

Newbie Starter pack and cheat sheets here

Repeat after me "Google Is My Friend"