Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)

Sewing on Layouts

I have a very good sawing machine that is like to try on my next Lyaout but im scared. Has there to be a special sewing needle i need? Do i have to use special Card? What sort of thread is the best, and what stitch works best when stitching say printed paper to card or a fabric to card.
    So many questions, so please forgive me asking as im very new to this and dont want to make big mistakes first time around.
    The card i have is all Bazzill and the printed papers are KI Memories, Doodlebug, Scenic Route and Sophie from the Basic Grey range. They are all different thickness and texture. Some of the KI Memories is frosty looking.

Cheers
    Chrissie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    I have sewn on to LOs but only during classes as I don't have my own machine. The results are fab

Use biggish stitches (we used zig zag stitch in the class)
    The needle you use won't be suitable for fabric afterwards as it will blunt but that is fine for the card.
    We sewed Scenic Route and Bazzill together on a simple machine with no problems.

I'm not sure about threads though

HTH

Emma
    Emma Jane

Living in the fantasy world of Edward and Bella leeann21's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Girls just a pointer incase you are ever tempted, using your own machine is the best way to go , i would never ever buy one of the mini scrapbooking sewing machines, the needles break easilly and you cant move them properly, oh and teh battery goes flat very fast
    My Blog Updated 13/09/11

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    As Emma said - just go for it - but remember that you'll need to change the needle before doing sewing on fabric as working on card and paper blunts the needle - just like it does scissors.

Would strongly recommend practicing on a piece of scrap card before you go anywhere near your layout though - once the needle holes are there they are there for good!

You can use ordinary sewing thread, but some of the special machine embroidery threads you can get look stunning on layouts, as does the thicker thread like perle or tatting cotton - as long as you can thread your needle you can use it.

Just one tip - use the finest needle you can - fine thread and big holes does not look good!

Have fun
    Carolyn

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (34)
    Toni Leeann - I have heard the same thing from loads of people. I was going to buy a mini one last year but e1 advised against it.
    Emma Jane

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolynUK
    You can use ordinary sewing thread, but some of the special machine embroidery threads you can get look stunning on layouts, as does the thicker thread like perle or tatting cotton - as long as you can thread your needle you can use it.
    Would you use normal thread in the bobbin?? TIA

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (48)
    I try to use the same thread in the bobbin as on top, otherwise you can get tension problems > ruined papers. As Carolyn said, def use an offcut of same paper/card to try on first.
    Eleanor
    Blogging round the Paper Mountains.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Im not too sure what needle i have in my Brother sewing machine. Ive used this needle to sew my own curtains so i take it to being a needle for cotton fabrics.

Thank you for all the replies so far. Can anyone tell me why these craft mini machines have such a bad press? Even my aunt in australia hates them and told me her group found them to suitable for the trash only. Id have thought if they were especially made for scrapbooking they would great. I was going to get one as well,lol!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (42)
    Can I just ad that if you are lucky enough to have an embroidery sewing machine there is a web sight that sells designs for stitching on paper / card,I have the wedding designs set and the xmas set,they even have some applique designs.They look fantastic.some of the wedding designs are in my gallery,will try and do a link.
    janet

Design Here

this is the link
    Last edited by janetlinda56; 17-01-2006 at 09:01 PM.
    JanetO

x

work gets in the way of scrapping!
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I recently bought a machine from Lidle for £39. I hate to admit it but I don't really do sewing ( I know very undomesticated ) But if I can follow the instructions any one can.
    I had a good play one night with different threads, tensions, stitches, card etc. It's great and now I want to have stitching on every layout and card I make. Just have a play first on a bit of scrap until you are happy with the effect.
    There are some lovely layouts on this site that have stitching on, fruitysuet has one and cathy c, both great for inspiration!!!!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    I only have a basic Janome machine, and I love using it on my LOs... I find that if I am sewing large peices of paper to each other then it is easier to use a little glue or tape to hold them in place first. Also you need to be careful that you keep the peices flat, or you can get bumpy paper

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What a great bunch you all are with these suggestions. Thank you so much. My husband told me to get a smaller sewing machine that i use just for my scrapbooks. I think i may take his offer up since he is paying
    So what makes of machine should i steer clear off then? I see 2 of you have stated the names Janome and Ladle.
    My machine cost him a few hundred and if im honest i really dont want to damage it. So if i look on ebay should i look for the names suggested? Sorry if im not allowed to mention that auction site. Im not sure of the law here. Please forgive as i am so very new. Im trying to make friends

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (18)
    My Janome cost £250 a couple of years ago, I have it serviced every year and I haven't had any trouble with it... I LOVE it
    I think if it is just for scrapbooking, it doesn't really have to be a branded one... look in your local Lidl or Aldi, as I know ours have them in quite often for about £40....
    Your DH sounds wonderful... if I had a machine, there is no way my dh would see it necessary for me to have another

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for that idea. Husband said he was willing to pay up to £100 if id use it. Now i have to be sure i can justify the use of it. Ive just called my local haberdashry shop and the owner has a brother sewing machine i can have a play with tonight using scrap paper and card. He even stated his wife will show me how to stitch lace and corrigated card to thicker card. Told me i needed to just buy needles that is suitable for denim fabric as they are heavy duty.
    So im going to have a little lesson tonight and it means i dont ruin my machine. If i like it then i will telly hubby id like a smaller one to use. Least that way it can be left out in my studio all the time.
    He is a little love and buys me things i really do want. Its nice i get the support from him unlike my uncle who is forever moaning about what my Aunt spends.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (27)
    Or if you have a sewing machine shop near you - go and ask if they've had any trade ins that they are selling off cheap!

To the question about bobbins - ideally yes top and botton should be the same - but occasionally I'm Lazy and don't bother - but as I always do a test piece first anyway (for stitch size and to determine placing of presser foot on the real thing etc) if there was going to be a problem with different threads I'd spot it then.....

The mini machines are utter rubbish. I got one free with a mag subscription and its just not worth it. its noisy, only does straight stitch (or "chain") if you use the underside, and whilst it does have a power lead as well as being able to run on batteries - its so short as to be useless.

If anyone wants mine they can have it for the cost of the postage
    Carolyn