Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)

Help! Giving up before I start...

I found UKScrappers when I was looking for information about the Craft Robo, and it's been full of information and hints and encouragement. I think I may have persuaded my husband to buy me one for Christmas (it's attached to a computer so isn't an extravagance, although a much cheaper Sizzix machine would be - male logic!), but am panicking a bit as it seems to need a lot of computer know how (and I thought I was almost computer literate...) I have looked at some tutorials but when I have tried to open some templates to look at them I get the message that "Windows cannot open the file" and then that "Windows does not recognise the file type" When I get it to look for a program to open these files (.gsd) it gives me information in a table which doesn't mean anything to me!

My question is, how much computer knowledge and ability do I need to be able to use this great-sounding device - I need to know before he gets round to buying one!

You all sound a very friendly and helpful bunch, I look forward to some replies! Thanks ++

Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Not having (yet!) acquired my CR, I would guess that the .gsd files only work with the software that comes with the CR, and as you don't have that yet, your computer can't 'translate' the language the file is written in. This is why you get the goobedlygook tables.

Hope this helps and I wouldn't let computer literacy put you off buying a CR. As long as you can follow instructions, the tutorials that Bev's done should enable you to get a lot out of your new toy

Dedicated Scrapper Lily_My_Lovely's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (50)
    Hi Eileen...and welcome to UKScrappers!

You don't need to be a PC whizz to use a Craft Robo... as long as you can type and click OK you'll be fine!

As SunDrop says... the .gsd files can be opened in the Craft Robo software (and other vector graphics programs).

Don't stress too much, its as easy as pie just to do the basic stuff (cutting letters and shapes etc) when it arrives... and once you've got the hang of that... you can read some of the stuff written by the ladies on here to get more out of the little beastie!

I my Craft Robo!!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (8)
    I would second what Lily has said the basics fonts and shapes are very easy just like sending something to the printer, it is a bit daunting the first time you use it and I wasn't expecting it to be as noisy as it is, but I love my robo too

Scrummy Scrappers SLO=9, DLO=, CJ=, mini book=,Total= 90

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Hi there..

Never think about male logic... it's not human... sitting in the dark is male logic to changing a lightbulb...

Don't worry about computer literacy, you learn as you go along and believe me you will learn more on this forum than any instruction manual could give you..

It's like everyone says, the basics are easy and once you have started with those, you will be unstoppable....

good luck with it...

View Gallery

Thanks for all the encouragement. I guess I can go back to hoping that Santa will bring a nice big sack.....

I'll keep watching the forum for "handy hints" as well as the "trials and tribulations!"

Eileen C

View Gallery

Just spotted husband sussing out Craft Robo sites on the web - it's looking very hopeful for Christmas, folks!

I'm sure I'll be back on the forum asking for lots of help!!

Eileen
    Last edited by Eileen C; 13-11-2005 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Font error!