Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thanks Hilary I will
    Ellie

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Alison you were asking about my family tree tree. It lights up but that makes it even harder to take photos of. It is very rough and ready, I think the one I made for Mum was better. Basically wooden tags sprayed white, photos printed on card and canvas and details of who, birth and death on the back. ED864AC7-AE5E-4CE1-A67E-86D66F31D327.jpegC6AC8A52-815B-4FB9-9A11-2535F5BE0C8C.jpeg

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Such a brilliant idea, Hilary. It must look awesome when it's illuminated!
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Very ingenious Hilary. I like it.
    Ellie

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Wow love it Hilary, very creative. I want to make one now ! Did you make the actual tree ?
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

No the tree came from either eBay or Amazon . This is a good time to get one as they are often used at Christmas.

View Gallery

Thanks. I’ve added a few to my shopping basket to have a look at. That will be a nice little project
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

You have plenty of living relatives to do it , I have only got 3 including me left!

View Gallery

I do indeed, although just one left in my mum’s generation
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I've just read through this chat with interest
    I'm doing my family tree on Ancestry for my side and DH's side. We all have very common names so it's been quite hard and I've come to a bit of a standstill (haven't done any for the last year or so) but I've enjoyed what I've done
    My Nana wrote a book for my Mum with lots of family information and stories in so we have that as a resource which is nice and my Mum remembers visiting some of the older relatives when she was little
    I would love a good way of storing the info I've found - family history sheets of some sort?? as most of mine is jotted notes in notebooks or held on Ancestry - and would like to scrap some of it too. I've scrapped a lovely 1930s photo of my Nana and one of my Dad at a VE day street party (he's the only blurry person as he moved - probably on purpose )
    I love your tree Hilary. I bought a similar one in Hobbycraft
    For one of the boys' Christenings I did a family tree with photos of parents and grandparents as children (might have been great grandparents too )

View Gallery

I did a "This is your Life" type book for Mum's 90th and my brother's 60th. I will dig it out later. I used my Grandfather's old diaries to find snippets about her life from the day she was born.
    I am currently struggling with a woman called Grace. My uncle and second cousin did their research in person, looking at records, and they say her name is Clarke (and I have found a record which I believes confirms it) However if you look at 95% of trees on Ancestry, they all have Grace Pyle. Now my gut says Clarke is correct- in the 1770's I think people were more likely to marry someone from the same village rather than 30 miles away, but I really want to find that thing that finally proves it. all good fun!

View Gallery

Your books sound great. I made a basic album for mum on her 80th, just highlights of her life, no real detail.
    When my aunt died I found a pile of letters written by my grandfather to my grandmother when they started out in parenthood,it was interesting to see another side to him.

Good luck with the Grace/Clarke problem, hope you can find the proof you need.
    I’ve been finding that several trees on ancestry seem to have glaring errors. I think they copy from other trees and accept the hints that ancestry suggests without actually checking them. I’m being very careful to not copy errors by mistake !

Several years ago I started a couple of pages of my dad and grandfather in 12x12 with the intention of doing an album for each family member. I’ve come back to them, cut them down to A4 and I thought I’d make an album of who’s who. Do you think I should do it from my perspective, referring to them as my grandfather, my great aunt, etc….. or just state the facts ?
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

I think most of mine have been written in the 3rd person but some are from my viewpoint. If you put a tree as the front page it will help future generations to work it out.
    When you get hints for a person make family trees the last thing you look at and take any tree with more than 10k people on it with a pinch of salt. Yes there ARE people who have accurately got more than 10k family members but the vast majority have just accepted anything suggested to them. I learned the hard way, a nice long branch had to be deleted and restarted a few years ago. Another interesting source of info is bna ( British newspaper archives I think) you don’t need to subscribe you can buy credits for pages. Just pop in a name and look at the paper local to that person on dates when they were alive. I have found an arsonist, someone who was a servant and made pregnant by her master who then kicked her out and kept the baby. She killed herself. I also found out the mystery surrounding Mum’s second cousin’s death( suicide by cyanide poisoning in a bank vault!) These are the things that make family history come to life.

View Gallery

Wow yes you’ve found some interesting snippets there !
    I have a US senator in the family, they have some interesting stories. Yes the newspapers sound a good plan
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

A current one? Impressive!