Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Thread for people to look at

Just reposting this in Chat in case it gets missed and especially as this part of UKS is so poorly used these days - https://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards...-for-july-2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Thanks Shirley it's so sad how this part of the forum is hardly used anymore unless someone has a problrm

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

It's a shame how quiet this thread has become and I have just dragged out my very old Silhouette. You have always been there with lots of helpful advice and beautiful designs which have been shared so willingly. I will be trying to get back into using my Silhouette when I eventually get time to craft but I would just like to say "Thanks" for the help you've given when I've been stuck.

On the odd occasion I have got my machine out I've had to use it on the floor so one of the things I did when re-vamping my craft room was to make space for my Silhouette and have a desk handy to use it on so no bending down. So all good intentions there.

Is it quiet because less people are using these machines or becoming more proficient or have dies taken over in some part do you think? The trouble with cutting dies is you are often limited to the size of the die but with the Craft Robo/Silhouette etc... you can make your design bigger or smaller which you already know of course.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop on and say Hi when I saw your post.

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

I've only posted when I've had a problem, sorry.
    Maybe we should all post what we're working on at the moment.
    I'll go first.
    I'm designing a card for my husbands great granddaughter, he's only 65 !!
    Anyway I'm doing a card that records her name, date of birth, weight etc.
    It's in the style of an intricate cutout, if that makes sense like the laser cut ones you can get made to order.
    I've ordered a new mat and blade just for this job.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Susie.A View Post
    It's a shame how quiet this thread has become and I have just dragged out my very old Silhouette. You have always been there with lots of helpful advice and beautiful designs which have been shared so willingly. I will be trying to get back into using my Silhouette when I eventually get time to craft but I would just like to say "Thanks" for the help you've given when I've been stuck.

On the odd occasion I have got my machine out I've had to use it on the floor so one of the things I did when re-vamping my craft room was to make space for my Silhouette and have a desk handy to use it on so no bending down. So all good intentions there.

Is it quiet because less people are using these machines or becoming more proficient or have dies taken over in some part do you think? The trouble with cutting dies is you are often limited to the size of the die but with the Craft Robo/Silhouette etc... you can make your design bigger or smaller which you already know of course.

Anyway, just thought I'd pop on and say Hi when I saw your post.
    I don’t think it’s because less people are using the machines Susie it just seems that there are so many Facebook help groups now and people seem to prefer to use them possibly because they get instant replies.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by bobble21 View Post
    I've only posted when I've had a problem, sorry.
    Maybe we should all post what we're working on at the moment.
    I'll go first.
    I'm designing a card for my husbands great granddaughter, he's only 65 !!
    Anyway I'm doing a card that records her name, date of birth, weight etc.
    It's in the style of an intricate cutout, if that makes sense like the laser cut ones you can get made to order.
    I've ordered a new mat and blade just for this job.
    That’s a nice idea, I’m always busy trying to come up with svg designs to sell in my online store and at the moment it’s Wedding cards. My machine is used practically every day.

View Gallery

I visit virtually every day but to be honest I haven't used my machine for ages because I have a different machine now and as my Cameo is the original machine I don't know what the later versions are capable of although I still use the software to make SVG files

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

So it's Facebook that is pulling people away. I don't use it at all so I will still be popping on here to pick your brains from time to time.

One of my biggest problems with my Silhouette was the stickiness of the mat. It seemed to go from super sticky, can't get anything off or not sticky enough and the card slides about mid cut. Also, with the old (original) Silhouette I will need new blades. Mine are the 3 different colours, yellow, blue and pink, would they still be available or can one of the newer style of blades be used in my Silhouette would you know?

View Gallery

Those blades haven't been available for a long time the ones below were what I was using in my original Cameo. The blue one says it's a fabric blade to distinguish between the two if you cut card as well as material but they are the same so you can use either if you don't cut fabric. I don't know anything about the newer machines and blades or if they can be used in the original machine sorry.

IMG_20220609_090408.jpg
    Last edited by DJG; 09-06-2022 at 09:16 AM.

View Gallery

[QUOTE=Susie.A;6777686]So it's Facebook that is pulling people away. I don't use it at all so I will still be popping on here to pick your brains from time to time.

One of my biggest problems with my Silhouette was the stickiness of the mat. It seemed to go from super sticky, can't get anything off or not sticky enough and the card slides about mid cut. Also, with the old (original) Silhouette I will need new blades. Mine are the 3 different colours, yellow, blue and pink, would they still be available or can one of the newer style of blades be used in my Silhouette would you know?[/QUOTE

As per Doreen’s photo you can use the ratchet blade with the original Silhouette but not the Auto or Auto detect blades -see here for info-
    https://www.graphtecgb.shop/product/...ratchet-blade/. Re the cutting mat have you tried resticking by spraying lightly with repostionable glue or Zigs two way wide tip glue pen - then dab over the mat with a T-shirt or something to remove the initial stickiness (clean the mat first either by lightly washing or use baby wipes and put masking tape over the edges as you don’t want those to get sticky) It’s something I do and my mats last for ages even though I use my machine everyday.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks as always for the replies ladies. I did buy new blades a while ago now so I'm not desperate but will definitely check out that link and order the new blade.

I have also bought a new mat which I have used and it was very sticky. I tried washing and resticking my old one but it felt uneven (my fault no doubt) so sticky in some places more than others. Recently I needed large numbers for kiddies birthday cards and my Silhouette came out and that was great but whenever I attempt to do a more intricate design I seem to have problems with the card lifting and tearing.

As I keep banging on about, we have tons going on here at present, re-vamping next door (long story) and future proofing our home for our approaching old age so crafting has almost disappeared from my life which is a shame as I have this beautiful new craft room at last. So for now, thanks for the hints and tips, I will check out the link get a new blade and at some point be back on here picking your brains because the software has changed so much now. Also, I used to have a pc and I've had a Mac for about 9 years now and I used to use Inkscape for welding words and things but don't have that on here, not even sure if it is compatible. I'll be needing to find a software to do some basic designs unless that is all in this new software from Silhouette, as you can tell I'm really out of touch but know you're here for advice is very reassuring.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Susie.A View Post
    Thanks as always for the replies ladies. I did buy new blades a while ago now so I'm not desperate but will definitely check out that link and order the new blade.

I have also bought a new mat which I have used and it was very sticky. I tried washing and resticking my old one but it felt uneven (my fault no doubt) so sticky in some places more than others. Recently I needed large numbers for kiddies birthday cards and my Silhouette came out and that was great but whenever I attempt to do a more intricate design I seem to have problems with the card lifting and tearing.

As I keep banging on about, we have tons going on here at present, re-vamping next door (long story) and future proofing our home for our approaching old age so crafting has almost disappeared from my life which is a shame as I have this beautiful new craft room at last. So for now, thanks for the hints and tips, I will check out the link get a new blade and at some point be back on here picking your brains because the software has changed so much now. Also, I used to have a pc and I've had a Mac for about 9 years now and I used to use Inkscape for welding words and things but don't have that on here, not even sure if it is compatible. I'll be needing to find a software to do some basic designs unless that is all in this new software from Silhouette, as you can tell I'm really out of touch but know you're here for advice is very reassuring.
    Yes you defintely can design in Silhouette studio it has lots of features, welding being one. The features vary depending whether you are using the basic version or pay to upgrade to Designer or Business edition but you can do lots in the basic version. Personally I think it is much more user friendly than Inkscape.

View Gallery

I use Inscape as well as Studio. I have a PC but I'm pretty sure you need to add some other software to allow you to use Inkscape with a Mac....maybe a Google search will tell you

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I just download the latest software for the basic version so when I do get back into it I'll try that first.

Not a scrapper, a card and boxer.
    View Gallery

Yes you could just change the name, weight etc for each customer. This was meant for Shirley Anne.