Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)

Words to scrap by

I thoughts I’d start a new scrappy chatty post about words … in scrapping.

how important are words on your pages?

I almost never do a page without journalling on. At the very minimum is had the place and date but often a lot more than that. I have been known to write a lot on pages at times.

Plus it is rare that it’s not handwritten. When I started scrapping I frequently typed my journalling and stuck it on. Now I never do that. I often write on journalling spits or cards but just as happily write directly on the cardstock. And I never plan ahead what I am going to say. I start and write what drips out of my head.

If I am making pages for someone else I tend to use quotes but not proper journalling as I can’t always assume what theyd want on there. Also for themed albums, like the gift wedding album I am making I tend not to add the date as it’s the same on every page.

So, how about you? Are you a handwritter or a Tyler or do you prefer not to write or write on the back or on tags where it’s hidden? Do you plan what you want to say or go with the flow?

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I like to tell the story and often journal on my page. I learned the importance of that from you Karen. I nearly always hand write but I have been known to type, but not often. I nearly always put the place abd date too but I do like to tell the story aswell.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Wow, great question...

I think it depends on a number of things. All my scrapbooks to date have been to give away, so basically for other people and a lot of it was dates, places, sentiments and a small amount of journaling. I think it's important to journal on kiddies pages because some day they might not remember where a place was or when the photo was taken and we won't be around to remind them.

The journaling is of paramount importance to me because it is telling the story. Sometimes a photo will speak for itself but if it is an interesting photo I want to know what was happening, where it was, who was there and so on. We have so many old photo's and haven't a clue who is in them, we might know one or two people but the rest is a mystery and bear in mind I still have two uncles one 94 and one 96 who remember everything but I've caught them out on a few occasions.

I prefer to type as I get cramp very easily and my handwriting becomes untidy very quickly but I prefer to see handwritten journalling. As for what I write, it usually depends on space, you know how I can ramble on.

View Gallery

I nearly always do some journalling, but I don't enjoy hand-writing because invariably I will make a mistake and ruin it all. I've typed a lot on old pages but I like to choose a nice font rather than the usual for typing. If I do digi pages I type on those too. I really wish I could just write neatly enough to tell stories on my pages but I get stressed just thinking about it and I'm more likely to ruin it all. I think journalling is important because as Susie said I've got photo's and don't know the story behind them/people in them. My mum always wrote who was in the photo's on the back of the picture, but it doesn't always explain who they are/how you know them etc.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I usually hand write my journalling and whether it is visible or hidden depends on how personal it is. I think that it is important to have something on each layout however small.

Anne
    Anne

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I will hand write on my pages too, for some of the albums I’ve been doing recently - wedding and baby’s first year it hasn’t needed much. My holiday albums get a bit more journalling.
    I like to include the basics on most pages though - who, where, when
    I never write loads though as that’s not me
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Barbie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (29)
    I write directly onto my pages too but am not fond of my handwriting so don’t do it as often as I could. I usually resort to a pre-written word or phrase.

It is important to record the name of the person, and the date I think. I have been looking at some old LOs where I haven’t recorded these and I know that in years to come, it will be difficult to identify who it is, especially with baby and children’s photos.
    BARBARA

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Yes, important to name the babies and children, my mum wasn’t sure which of us were which sometimes when we were looking at our baby photos !
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    I was raised to always write the information on the back of pictures , right back to great grandma pretty well everything is labelled so journaling is an extension of that. If there is nowhere to put it on the front of the layout, I write on the back.
    Last edited by tigerlady; 22-06-2022 at 04:13 PM.

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I think also it depends on the photo. If it just needs a simple who, what, where and when, that's fine. But if there's a funny story behind a photo I like to tell it because otherwise the moment is forgotten.