Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Printer

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

New Printer

Hello all, sorry I've not been on here for quite a while. Not been crafting much for the last 18 months but have now got the bug again. Unfortunately my Canon Pixma MG7150 doesn't want to play anymore (typically shortly after replacing the inks) so I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. Does anyone have any recommendations? It's 7 years since I bought the last one so am out of touch. Is there such a thing as a printer built for the UK market or are they all geared to American sizes?
    Another Shirley

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Hi Shirley, yes, ignore the rumours, I am still in the land of the living I had to get a new printer about a year or so ago and I had specific requirements, the most important of which was the ability to print thicker card as my Epson couldn't handle anything above about 160 gsm. I did a lot of research, and asked the question on here too, and I eventually chose a Canon Pixma TS9551C. I love it - it has two feed positions, the normal cassette feed at the front and a "straight through" vertical feed slot at the back top of the machine which can deal with 12x12 card and much thicker card too. It is a scanner, copier printer and here are the main Specifications:

A3 All-in-One printer. Auto 2-sided printing for paper. Wireless and Ethernet connectivity. 2-way paper feeding. 5 individual inks. Canon PRINT app. 10.8cm (4.3 inch) touchscreen

It also has loads of built in patterns and Canon have a great site where you can get 3d model prints to make up.

It really isn't that much bigger than my old Epson (still sits in the same space that the Epson occupied) and I find the print quality is excellent. You can have slightly bigger capacity black cartridges too and it will handle compatibles. It is a bit more expensive than some but I felt I got what I paid for. It really does depend what you are looking for but it ticks all my boxes.

Hope you are well.

All the best
    Andi

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Have had my printer for quite a while but am very happy with it - Canon TS8150 All in One. I always look for front and back feed as back feed is best for thicker card. I have tried other printers but always gp back to Canon. No problem with UK sizes.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I had to replaced my favourite printer an A4 Canon MG5350 when it stopped working and could not be fixed. It took 5 separate inks and had a front & back feed. My replacement is the MG5750 which works just as well but only has a front feeder and the paper has to be removed to close the paper tray up. It also only has a front paper feeder which to my surprise actually prints on 350 gsm card.

The only down size is the Canon software is only 32bit not 64bit so with Studio 64bit the scanner does not show up or work for the PixScan feature.

View Gallery

I don't know what is going on but 3 times I've tried to post a reply to this thread and it won't let me, even though I'm signed in.
    Another Shirley

View Gallery

Aha! I think I've found the problem, I hadn't clicked on the Reply to Thread button.
    Thank you very much Andi, Shirley Anne and Neries for taking the trouble to respond to my query, it was very kind of you. Andi, your printer would be great but as I am only a hobbyist it is beyond my budget. Shirley Anne, your model is no longer available and Neries there is a lot of conflicting information out there about the MG5750, especially the price, it is advertised as £70 or several hundred ££s on Amazon!!
    The shelf life of printers seems to be incredibly short with dozens of models listed as 'No longer available' or 'Out of stock' however, I'll have to make a decision tomorrow as I need it by Thursday. Will let you know what I eventually decide on. Thanks again,
    Another Shirley

View Gallery

Hi Shirley. I really hope you find a suitable replacement. Actually, I went and had a look at the online details for mine and I really don't remember paying the sort of price shown, but I went searching my records and found the invoice. It cost me £199.99 in 2019 which made me blink a bit because I really had forgotten, but I still think it was worth it. Good luck with your search. I think it is the pandemic that has perhaps put prices up a bit more, people working from home etc.

Andi

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BowBow View Post
    Aha! I think I've found the problem, I hadn't clicked on the Reply to Thread button.
    Thank you very much Andi, Shirley Anne and Neries for taking the trouble to respond to my query, it was very kind of you. Andi, your printer would be great but as I am only a hobbyist it is beyond my budget. Shirley Anne, your model is no longer available and Neries there is a lot of conflicting information out there about the MG5750, especially the price, it is advertised as £70 or several hundred ££s on Amazon!!
    The shelf life of printers seems to be incredibly short with dozens of models listed as 'No longer available' or 'Out of stock' however, I'll have to make a decision tomorrow as I need it by Thursday. Will let you know what I eventually decide on. Thanks again,
    Another Shirley
    Shirley I paid around £70 for mine including an extra full set of Canon inks from Currys with a special offer they had at the time. Hubby then bought the same printer a year or so later for £59.99 from Currys.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    I had to replaced my favourite printer an A4 Canon MG5350 when it stopped working and could not be fixed. It took 5 separate inks and had a front & back feed. My replacement is the MG5750 which works just as well but only has a front feeder and the paper has to be removed to close the paper tray up. It also only has a front paper feeder which to my surprise actually prints on 350 gsm card.

The only down size is the Canon software is only 32bit not 64bit so with Studio 64bit the scanner does not show up or work for the PixScan feature.
    Neries I don't know what version of the software you have but I'm running the latest and I can now scan with my Canon printer - can't remeber when it was fixed but it was a whie ago..

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Neries I don't know what version of the software you have but I'm running the latest and I can now scan with my Canon printer - can't remeber when it was fixed but it was a whie ago..
    Thanks Shirley. I have not tried to use the scanner in Studio for a while, so will have go and see. I am using V4.4.552.ssbe

View Gallery

Hi all. Hope you don't mind me asking a question that is off topic to the one started by Shirley (Bow-Bow) but could I ask if you are all using the latest version of the software V4.4 895? I have stuck with 4.4.281 for quite a while now because the version that came after that seemed to be causing so many problems, and I think in the end Silhouette pulled the V4 software completely for a while. It doesn't say that 895 is a beta version and it is offered as 32-bit and 64-bit and 64-bit for a Mac as well. If you are using it do you find it okay or are you still finding bugs? I am using a Cam3 having decided that the 4 didn't suit my needs, although I seem to have really lost my mojo of late and keep trying to gee myself up to get back to card making and 3d stuff; I suppose the pandemic is a bit to blame but I can't lay it all at the door of a virus, it's me!
    Last edited by AndiDee; 26-10-2021 at 04:12 PM.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Thanks Shirley. I have not tried to use the scanner in Studio for a while, so will have go and see. I am using V4.4.552.ssbe
    It was fixed back in July Neries - I am now using 4.4.895 so can't remember the number of the version that fixed it.

Andi I don't think it will ever be bug free but I've not had any problems with 4.4.895 (windows 64 bit) so far but I have only used it for cutting as I do most of my designing in Adobe Iillustrator. Hope you can get your mojo back.
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 26-10-2021 at 04:57 PM.

View Gallery

Thanks Shirley, after downloading and installing 4.4.895 I can now use my scanner in Studio. I must have missed the release of this version when were away on our summer holiday July/August.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Andi I don't think it will ever be bug free but I've not had any problems with 4.4.895 (windows 64 bit) so far but I have only used it for cutting as I do most of my designing in Adobe Iillustrator. Hope you can get your mojo back.
    Thanks for this Shirley Anne. I am not so quick with new versions these days, and I got a bit fed up with Software that seems to leave all users to be the beta testers (I know you are part of a group that are actually helping to beta test Studio on behalf of Silhouette, and good on you all for that), it seems to be all software firms generally these days. I use Thunderbird for my mail and there was an update today which left me trying to fix an issue that meant I could receive but not send emails. I managed it in the end with the help of DH, but neither of us is a computer expert so it is all "fingers crossed" and hope you find the key to it all! I think I will get my mojo back but I feel I'm getting a bit old for all this now, I had a birthday recently with a 0 on the end of it and it hit home a bit - it's a state of mind; I'm not fed up but I get distracted.

Thanks for the help and I shall now go and download the update. I'm not sure how much the changes will relate to my Cam3, everything seems to be geared to the 4. It didn't cut it for me (excuse the pun), I don't cut vinyl and, although I do cut felt I find it quite therapeutic to do that by hand. I made a set of characters to put on a Christmas wreath the year before last and I was really pleased with the result. I do have plans to do some more and needle felting is something I am considering.

Take care and stay well,
    Andi

View Gallery

Weii I finally made a decision after hours of research and had to drive nearly 15 miles each way to get the only one available in the area. It's the Canon TS5351 and I'm not looking forward to installing it tomorrow, expect I'll struggle. Decided to go for cheap model (£69.99) as it's not likely to have heavy usage. Unfortunately it only has 2 ink cartridges, black and colour, and I've been used to 6 so could be disappointed with results (if I ever get it to work). Curry's didn't have a single printer under £100 in stock, perhaps they've all been bought for Christmas.
    On the subject of software versions I'm still on 4.2.279 as when I looked at the notes for later versions it always seemed to be about the Cameo 4 whereas I only have a 3.
    Another Shirley.