Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Silhouette queries

Hello all.

I'm a UKS regular, but I'm new to this part of the forum. I'm hoping some of you Silhouette experts on here can help with some queries!

1. Can the Silhouette software handle imported files in .dxf format?

2. Can the Silhouette cut a material we call "plasticard"?

I have an electronic cutting machine that is not a Silhouette. DH also uses it, and he's been having some issues, so we're wondering if a Silhouette would be better suited to his needs.

Thank you.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Hi Margo, yes the Silhouette Studio software will open .dxf files. No idea about cutting "Plasticard" on a Silhouette machine.

I would suggest you check with Graphtec's Store https://www.graphtecgb.shop/product-...ting-machines/ or phone them 01978 666700. The are in Wrexham, North Wales.

You can download the free standard Studio software at https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software

View Gallery

Thanks, Neries.
    I assume normally people use .svg files with the Silhouette and that they read in with no issues, regardless of where they came from, yes?

(DH design in QCAD, which produces .dxf files. The cutting machine software says it can import .dxf files, but it won't open DH's QCAD files. So he exports them from QCAD as .svg. This was working perfectly well, but recently they are coming in with wrong dimensions, ie the dimensions of his objects are wrong. Some of the objects are formed of several layers, so resizing is not straightforward. Sorry to bore you, but we are exploring other options!)
    Margo

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

You can't import svg files in the basic (free) edition of the software but you can if you upgrade to Designer or Business Edition - there is comparison chart here. You can open dxf files in the basic version but dxf files tend to have lots more nodes so may not cut so smoothly. I'm not sure what plasticard is but if it is thick and really dense then it could be a problem and if it is possible you would most likely have to use a Kraft Blade which doesn't do intricate cuts well. Do you know anyone who has a Cameo 4 who could try for you ?

View Gallery

That's helpful, thanks, Shirley Anne. Will do some more research now.
    Margo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Whilst we're on Silhouette queries, I have the original Silhouette and so many cutting files from their website. If I change machines are the Silhouette files suitable or should I say will they transfer or do they have to be SVG files. I have the option when buying a file of buying the svg version but never have?

View Gallery

If you change to another brand of machine then you would need to have the files in svg format to use in another program but if you just upgrade to a newer Cameo then you may have to update the software if you are using a really old version but you should be able to open your .studio format files OK.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for replying Shirley. I'm not thinking of replacing it at present as I barely use it so it would be a waste of money. I fancy a 12x12 if I do change in the future and I must admit like the look of the scan'ncut now because of the way the blade automatically works out the depth and pressure. Do any of the Cameo type machines do this do you know?

View Gallery

The newer Cameos and Portraits come with auto blades which adjust themselves automatically once you have told the machine what material you are using but they can’t sense the actual material automatically. They also come with dual carriages which means you can use different types of blades. You might like to take a look here https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/fe...-product/cameo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That's interesting because I don't want to lose all these files. That said, I always seem to cut little squares in my mat trying to get the setting right and then I have the problem with the mat either being too sticky or not sticky enough - it's probably just me! Will check it out, thanks Shirley.