Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Space

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Thank you MaryAnne and Karen for doing all this maintenance to keep the site functioning. It's very much appreciated.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    The tedious thing is deleting pages of threads as you can only delete 6 pages at a time in a three step process and so clearing 600 pages of old community chat from 2008 onwards is taking me quite a while!

View Gallery

I think the gallery deletion could be even more stringent and delete gallery posts older than 2014 ... that leaves 6+ years of gallery still there and I think it would make a heck of a difference. Plus I am absolutely sure everyone has copies of their pages either in albums or on their computer. I am proud/ashamed ... not sure which ... that I have a digital image of every page I have ever made from 2002 onwards which was great because I three away a LOT of old IRL layouts but I still have the picture of how awful they were should I ever want to humiliate myself!

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I agree lots more years could be deleted.

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Yes as i said before, 5 years is surely enough for anyone. There is still a load of really old stuff around, not just galleries but loads of cybercrop and old slymi etc. Does anyone really still look at that old stuff? Isnt there just a general delete button for a forum? I mean what is the problem with a blanket deletion of anything before 5 years ago?

I am sorry it is so difficult and taking you so long, thank you for your efforts

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    No one is quite grasping the difficulty of Gallery deletions, I think.

There is NO WAY in Photopost to delete a Gallery. You can either:
    1. Delete individual layouts one-by-one
    2. Delete all layouts in a year
    3. Delete a full gallery by deleting the member from the vBulletin side of things

Each has a knock on effect -
    1. deleting individual layouts is tedious and time consuming
    2. Deleting by year means things that are linked will get screwed up. The Cybercrops in particular will be an issue. There is simply no way to track down every linked item to correct that so the whole forum is going to be littered with dead links
    3. Deleting a member who has posted a ton means each and every post for all the members deleted will get set to GUEST, again, totally screwing up the database.

Of all the options, removing 2009 layouts is the easiest. Then I think we can live with that for a bit and see what the knock-on effect is. If it is something we can live with then moving on year by year seems sensible. Because 2009 was more the hey day of UKS, with huge numbers of layouts getting posted over the year, simply getting rid of that year, in addition to the general tidy up of the forums, might really help. I am also looking at Craft Robo/Silhouette tempaltes, another huge amount of storage and in the FORUMS not the Gallery.

I am inching towards the 2009 deletion but I am really aiming for caution - I have never done this sort of massive one click purge before and am a little terrified I just want to project the impact before I pull the trigger!

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I think only you can gauge the complications from what you are intending to do..all we can say is we support your decisions in whatever you do.

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    When Smax was doing the admin we had gallery purges every couple of years and everyone accepted it. We have had the luxury of no gallery cull since the 2009 uploads so really nobody has cause for complaint.
    Remove 2009, see how much impact it has then take more if a "cushion" is needed.
    We have had several days warning and nobody has voiced any major objections.
    Go for it!

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I do always think that in case of fire I always have UKS with my LOs on, perhaps I should photograph all my oldest LOs again, I may have pics on a disc somewhere but I should be more methodical about care taking.
    Thanks for trying to deal with it all ladies, I don't envy you.
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by thriftycrafter View Post
    I do always think that in case of fire I always have UKS with my LOs on, perhaps I should photograph all my oldest LOs again, I may have pics on a disc somewhere but I should be more methodical about care taking.
    Thanks for trying to deal with it all ladies, I don't envy you.
    Oh please do and back up. I am religious in backing everything up once a month ... once you have lost a hard drive you are extra careful.

My mantra to everyone is back up back up back up.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    In looking at the attachments, I can see some people are adding images that are over 7mb in size. That is HUGE for the SNAP! challenge. They do not need to be that big and are seriously impacting the disk space. I would rather keep layouts, even old ones, before keeping monthly challenge items. I am looking at ways to enforce a limit on attachments to say 2-3mb but I would love it if those who are uploading will take the extra step and reduce the size of your images before you load them.

I am not sure of the impact of enforcing a smaller size - I worry it might then prevent the images from showing in the forums but they will still be there, getting backed up every day.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Oh sorry MaryAnne, I didn’t think of that, but I suppose that’s why we upload straight to the thread rather than into the gallery, we don’t have to resize !
    I will ask people to try and reduce them, probably need to do it in the card threads too, not all those go in the gallery either
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I’m happy with 2009 deletion, that’s a long time ago !
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

I have looked back through the snap threads for this year and a lot of the photos are HUGE and they really don't need to be.

When I upload directly from my phone it gives me the option of size and I select small.
    If I upload from the computer I resize the same as I do for the gallery

You can always look back and see how big your photos are if you re unsure by looking at your post and selecting manage attachments and it will show your he size. They should really all be below 1mb. They don't need to be any larger than that and I know we can allr esize as we do for the gallery.

When your think that some people have maybe 30 - 50+ photos in a month chat on snap challenge and they are over 1mb each that is possibly more than 50mb of photos which is a heck of a lot of gallery space we could use.

I have looked back through the posts this year and lots of the photos are closer to 2mb or even higher.

Again I think the focus has to be on space for the gallery as this is first and foremost a scrapping forum so resizing the photos in snap would make a huge huge difference to space.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I apologise MaryAnne, I have checked back and some of my photo's are 2MB whereas I always resize for the gallery to about 250 kbs. I've just posted one photo at 122kbs on the snap challenge and it is fine and perfectly good quality. Thanks for pointing this out.

Good point about the card threads too Alison.