Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Space

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    yes quite, a rolling 10 years ago is surely enough for anyone

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    I am trying to make the most impactful changes from a STORAGE point of view while making the LEAST impactful changes for the overal forum, if you see what I mean.

So the removal of forum posts makes a little difference, but not enough.
    Back to SNAP then

I have tidied up the thread for the 2015 SNAP challenge as it was pinned and easy to do, and deleted the corresponding threads for 2015 ONLY to test out how much impact it has. I am planning on doing the same for each of the challenges from 2012 to 2018. I am leaving 2019-2021 more or less alone, other than compacting the challenge info into a single post.

What is the difference in how the SNAP sub-forum in Challenges is used and the SNAP threads in Photography? Is the one in Photography where the challenge is posted and the Challenges forum where the photos go? Has it shifted over time? Do people use both? Can we decide on some rules for how they get used and stick to it?

Perhaps a plan is for there to be a sticky thread in the Photography forum and that simply gets edited every month by the person who started that thread, to add the challenge for the new month. No chatter in there, just bare bones info, with a link to the thread in Challenges that will house the photos.

IS already that how it is done/is meant to be done?? Either way, that seems like the best plan moving forward. We will retain the challenge details but the storage hogging photos from the older challenges will be gone.

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    I think all the challenges were put into the main Challenges Forum and I believe even the chat is in there each month and the one in Photography is no longer used. The only posts in Photography this year seem to be directing people to the new thread or some random post by a newbie who has only posted twice.

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    The only current snap thread is the one in the challenges forum. It was moved there so that the challenges were all in the same forum.
    Personally, I think it just needs to current snap challenge sub forum and not the old photography forum. I think it's about streamlining the space to focus on the reason we are all here - scrapbooking.

I am busily tidying up the challenges forum and removing some old stuff too

View Gallery

Thanks to you both - if that is the case I will do just as I suggested. I will move all the Challenge info into a yearly post, collect them into a pinned thread for Previous Year SNAP! Challenges, and link to the Challenges forum. I am able to put a notice banner at the top of Photography that says something like Click here to go to the monthly SNAP! Photography Challenge then link to the Snap sub-forum. Then there is no need to post in Photography to direct people. And I will clear out anything pre-2019 - there is no need to keep old Photo delivery site sales and WHICH? camera from 2010

View Gallery

I am not really sure we need a photograpy forum at all do we? It was useful when Cheryl used to do her classes but any photography/ technique/ camera related questions could easily go into General Scrapping or even Community then you could just put the old photog prompts into the sub forum on Inspiration and Challenges?
    I am just trying to slim Uks into just the busy sections so anyone visiting for the first time will see a vibrant forum with regular posts across its boards rater than a list of forums with no posts for years!

View Gallery

I agree I don’t think we need the photography forum any more and it would slim it down and save a lot of space as loads of the threads are attachment heavy

View Gallery

Does anyone want to wade in on

1. Deleting the Library
    2. Deleting all of the Photography Forum

If we delete the Photography forum I can easily put the historical SNAP! challenge lists in the SNAP sub-forum and have it all in one place. Currently the sidebar menu goes to Photography and if that & the Library no longer exists that needs to be updated as well!

View Gallery

I am guessing other folk mustn't have the howling gales and driving rain we have up here and are out enjoying the Bank Hol rather than surfing!
    I would get rid! As I say we can add it back in if we get an influx of photography questions, but I doubt we will and a slimmer but busy forum wins my vote over a widespread but unused one.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    As the Snap has been moved to Challenges I agree there is no need for the photography forum.

View Gallery

OK - once I sort out the Challenge year posts and the sidebar menu both will go!

View Gallery

Perfect

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I’ve only just seen this. I never use the library, and as the photography forum
    was moved ,I can’t see a problem with deleting it.
    We have just swapped one place for another!!!!! I thought it might cause problems at first,
    But it hasn’t.
    Ellie

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    OK - once I sort out the Challenge year posts and the sidebar menu both will go!
    Sidebar sorted, although the ' in Dolly's seemed to give me problems so I left it out

Library is gone, and the menu has been updated with some more recent challenges. Photography stuff for SNAP! from 2019 and 2020 moved to the SNAP! sub-forum. I am deleting year by year once I have captured the prompts and once I get all the monthly prompts compiled (and boy that is slow-going) I will move that list to SNAP and the whole forum will go.

I am hoping this will solve the disk space problem for the rest of the year, but don't know for sure till all the deletions are done.

View Gallery

Have deleted some 400 pages of threads now ... takes forever but getting there