Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Space

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Space

Hi all!

We added additional space to the server the last time we had an issue and we have once again exceeded that. I expect adding more storage space in the gallery for everyone probably sped up the whole running out of space thing.

I need to do some serious culling, as painful as that might be. I have always been hesitant to prune the Gallery based on date, but at this point I am considering deleting 2009 gallery posts. It will be a quick way to claw back some space. And it risks inadvertently deleting something like a Cyber Crop class image or some other thing that is referred back to by the database.

I am just not sure of any other way to do it. What WOULD help is for anyone who sees this to PLEASE look at your gallery and if there are old layouts that you know were not the primary image for a class of any kind, delete it.

To be honest I am not sure how much of an impact it will make but we can try the less drastic approach before the more brutal, sledgehammer one!

My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    OK, off to have a look, 2009 seems so long ago but time flies!
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hi MaryAnne don't think I have much in my card gallery but will have a look anyway and delete. Thank you for your work in running this site - it has been a lifeline during the past year or so especially.

View Gallery

Please notice the banner at the top - a number of forums that are full of quite old stuff will be deleted to try to claw back some space. These forums are not widely used, and I don't think they will be missed.

Once they are gone, they are gone so if there is something in there you want you really do need to have a look and download this weekend.

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Would deleting obsolete Social Groups help? There are dozens that haven't been used for years.

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I have made suggestions to MA about deleting some of the older galleries of people who no longer visit and haven't uploaded anything for more than 10 years rather than deleting galleries of the people who do still visit and share their work on UKS. I have had a good look through and think - if MA can do it and it may be that it is not possible - that is a possible solution.
    I have also suggested that the old photography forum is very heavy usage as everyone attaches things directly and so that would be a good one to look at deleting

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    is there a quick way of clearing layouts from our galleries (rather than one by one) because i dont need to keep anything older than this years and will delete the lot quite happily.

sorry if its a stupid question but why does anyone need to keep anything, (even if it is a cybercrop or class or forum )thats older than say a couple of years.... surely if people really want to keep 10 year old pages they can copy them to their own computers etc? I cant believe the age of some of the stuff thats in here. ignore that if its a stupid suggestion.

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Hi Maria, follow this and you can delete several at one time. Shout if you need help.

HOW TO MASS DELETE GALLERY LAYOUTS
    Click:-
    gallery
    my photos
    statistics
    then under Photo Notifications, Manage Photos
    under category select the gallery where you upload(eg layouts)
    you should then get a long list of all the los in that gallery and the option to delete or save down at the bottom.
    I just cleared heaps out of mine but still seem to have a couple of hundred which must be tucked away in cyber crops or special challenges!

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Thank you Hilary, very helpful, I will get onto it

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Karen, I certainly think that's an idea worth pursuing, at least to establish if its feasible.

One of the strengths of UKS, to me, is the vast archive of old LO's. I worry that if it holds very recent LO's only it will feel more like a Facebook page. Members are of course free to delete their own LO's at any time, for any reason.

Thanks Hilary for the details of how to do a mass cull.
    That's my tuppence worth.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I am a bit disappointed about the Snap challenge only being kept for one year. I look back occasionally at last year to see what I have been doing this time last year... and Ellie has just used 2019 as inspiration for the May 2021 challenge. Carousel we save, say, two years at least.
    I would think any member that hasn’t been on here for several years isn’t going to come back now and it would be ok to delete their old galleries.

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Elaine - just create a dedicated folder on your pc for your Snap Challenge pics and copy and paste the ones you want into that. You could have sub folders for different months or chunks of months???

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

I take your point MaryAnne about the amount of space the images in the Snap threads take up, but Elaine makes a good point: it is still a very active part of the UKS community, unlike some other areas (eg those you have already identified).

I still like the proposal of deleting galleries of members who haven't been active since 2009 - or, say, 2011, which is 10 years ago. If I have any of them happen to be in my Favourites I'm quite prepared to live without them. Ditto if it removes images from a Cyber Crop. We can't have everything we want, and this would seem a reasonable compromise to me: freeing up space for active members is the priority after all surely?
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by yiayia View Post
    Elaine - just create a dedicated folder on your pc for your Snap Challenge pics and copy and paste the ones you want into that. You could have sub folders for different months or chunks of months???
    Perfect solution

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlady View Post
    Would deleting obsolete Social Groups help? There are dozens that haven't been used for years.
    I had a massive clean-up of Social Groups at the beginning of the year. I'll check but my recollection is there were a very small number still left and active. Also, they don't actually tak up much space - neither does the forum posts. It is all about the photos.

PS there are 15 social groups, and a couple might be used again,a couple can go. But they won't make a difference. the space they use is tiny.