Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Space

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    I am a bit disappointed about the Snap challenge only being kept for one year. I look back occasionally at last year to see what I have been doing this time last year... and Ellie has just used 2019 as inspiration for the May 2021 challenge. Carousel we save, say, two years at least.
    I would think any member that hasn’t been on here for several years isn’t going to come back now and it would be ok to delete their old galleries.
    If it is the CHALLENGE info that you need, that is easy to solve - I would suggest someone collects all the challenges into a single post by year (just a simple list) and I can delete the rest. We could keep every year there is if we do that. Again, it is the PHOTOS that are the problem.

I need to try to sort out how photos are attached to posts and what it means for storage. But the fact is the Galleries and not the forum posts are the real problem - the stuff I am suggesting removing (other that Snap) doesn't get used, so we should get rid of it and then I can assess the difference it made. Check out how much the profile pics and avatars use. That is a surprise!

data.jpg

I will look at Dolly's suggestion (a good one) of deleting old galleries and see how easy it is to do - currently what I am seeing is that I can delete PHOTOS in bulk, by date or by ticking boxed in long lists. What I can't seem to do is delete a member gallery. I might be able to delete a MEMBER (and thus delete their gallery) but I need to figure out if they then get deleted from UKS completely or only from the Gallery. Deleting a UKS member sets all their posts to GUEST. That would be a disaster for the forum.

It's all interconnected

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Yes after I posted I looked again and realised you had already done this! I can't even remember which groups I was in so haven't missed them

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Elaine presumably you have your photos stored somewhere on a computer or an EHD so that could be your reference

The photo forum it very picture heavy and they are attachments not links to the gallery Which MA thinks take up more room and whilst it’s nice to keep everything, UKS can’t just be about storing photos and daily events. I agree it’s nice to look back ... though personally I never have as I have everything at home, I think scrapping has to be the primary focus and it needs more storage. Something has to give

scrapping in the sun (or snow) Maria in France's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    surely 5 years ago is enough for anyone.... does anyone honestly look at the cybercrops and things from before that? why cant that be archived onto someones computer if it is wanted?

Anything from before 5 years ago could surely go as well as the member galleries who havent been on in that time? I mean surely the aim isnt to be running a museum.

As has been said, it is about keeping the stuff that people are using NOW active surely.

(I have cleared out my gallery by the way, keeping only the stuff that is either recent or I really wanted and it went down from 12 pages to 3. It is a bit of a performance for people though, so many diverse clicks to get to the bit where you can bulk delete and you have to know what folder it was in etc) Hilarys instructions were great but I can see why people dont do it regularly, it is rather a faff. Just saying.

View Gallery

I haven't found a quicker way but I will have another look later, Maria! I like a challenge.
    How about The Library- is that a big use of space? I haven't looked at it for, I imagine, 10 years.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I do have photos in my Drop box account but the bit I really meant was the record of what I was ‘doing’. It’s almost like a diary to look back... especially in 2020 as it was such an exceptional year.
    At the end of the day you will do what you can.. and we will accept what you do but it seems old member galleries should go first over ones we actually use?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Elaine mary Anne would leave 2020 I think ... unless she has to delete the whole sub forum.

I guess at least we all have our scrapbooks to remind us what we did

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by scrapdolly View Post
    Elaine mary Anne would leave 2020 I think ... unless she has to delete the whole sub forum.

I guess at least we all have our scrapbooks to remind us what we did
    And our Facebook reminders!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    If it’s not too cheeky asking but how much are you paying in hosting fees for the current solution? I might have a way of getting the fees reduced with more storage space.

View Gallery

So I have looked and looked and there are only two ways to delete things in Photopost - you can do a bulk delete by DATE or you can delete individual photos by ticking a long list. That may at first seem like a good options, but you can only sort them in stupid, useless ways like RECENT or LEAST VIEWED, not by user. Your can delete ALBUMS but you can't sort that list by anything useful (like alphabetically by user name or most photos or oldest) and I can see there are LOADS of empty albums (created but containing no photos) and I have no idea what the impact is of those empty albums (not much, I imagine, but it might make seeing what is really there easier if I delete all empty albums)

I think the only option I might have to get a serious amount of free space is to delete all photos from 2009. As UKS has been around since 2002, I suspect one of the last things SMAX did before we moved to self-hosting was a database purge of 2002-2008. It looks like 100 pages of 30 images per page is very nearly all of 2009. So if I want to be very safe and not risk anything, I can bulk delete page by page 30 at a time. I am happy to do that.

So if you are still active on UKS and have images from 2009 you want to keep in your gallery, remove them to your computer then re-add them so they have a 2021 date. Then I will begin deleting 2009 images. I suspect that will have to happen next week. I need to see about the cybercrop stuff because I will not want to delete links to classes. Those classes are still looked at and of all the "historical" stuff on UKS that is the last thing I would want to delete.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dee-saster View Post
    If it’s not too cheeky asking but how much are you paying in hosting fees for the current solution? I might have a way of getting the fees reduced with more storage space.
    We have a VERY good deal and while I appreciate the offer, I wouldn't move - especially since the servers have had a recent upgrade to new equipment. We know them to be reliable and responsive and switching without good cause wouldn't be prudent. But if you PM me the terms of whatever solution you have in mind I will compare - and perhaps using that info to leverage a better deal from the server folk might be possible!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    I do have photos in my Drop box account but the bit I really meant was the record of what I was ‘doing’. It’s almost like a diary to look back... especially in 2020 as it was such an exceptional year.
    At the end of the day you will do what you can.. and we will accept what you do but it seems old member galleries should go first over ones we actually use?
    PRIOR means BEFORE 2020 not including 2020. So yes, 2020 is staying.

And if I could figure out a way to delete a members gallery I would - but I can't. I can only delete photos one by one or tick the ones to remove on a page of 30 photos.

The only other thing I can think of is to delete a UKS member and see if that deletes their gallery as well. But as I can't search by member name or sort by name, finding them might be a two stage process - find a member to delete, look at a photo in their gallery so it pops up to the top of the list of recently viewed photos (which I can sort by) then delete that member and go back to the Photopost list and see if they are still there.

View Gallery

Yeah so yes, deleting a user from UKS will remove their gallery in Photopost. BUT it also will set every single post they made to GUEST - ok for people who have never or rarely posted but which will create chaos for people who have posted a LOT

So finding the magic combo of people with lots in their gallery AND who have rarely posted, would be a massively time-consuming undertaking.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by tigerlady View Post
    I haven't found a quicker way but I will have another look later, Maria! I like a challenge.
    How about The Library- is that a big use of space? I haven't looked at it for, I imagine, 10 years.
    I agree that the Library can go. I will also review that after we see what the effect of the other stuff is.

View Gallery

If you take out 2010's gallery as well, UKS was pretty much at the peak then so it could well be those 2 years of high uploading with twice yearly cyber crops might well be enough space to last 3/4 years at current traffic levels.
    Maybe even take 2011in a few months time and work on a rolling basis of deleting 10years back in Jan each year?
    Nobody needs access to layouts that old, people should have them on their computer or IRL.
    There will still be plenty of inspiration in the gallery.