Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Sizzix Big Shot Plus problem

Do you have one? The handle is turning but is no longer pulling the full "sandwich" of plates and die/paper through. It can pull through just the platform + Adapter A + one cutting plate. I've tried adding just the second cutting plate, but that seems to defeat it.

Any ideas? Could it need a bearing replaced? It's not had heavy use, but it is out of warranty, naturally.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Margo,

Funnily enough I've just bought one. I would contact them anyway, it can't hurt to ask. If whoever you bought it from isn't interested I'd email Sizzix themselves. It is odd. Is it when the two cutting plates and a die go through (or don't) or are you now trying it just with the plates etc... but no dies? Does it just not take them through as if they are too thick or what?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Even though it is out of warranty I would still contact Sizzix, they are really good at trying to sort things out. I had a problem with my handle coming off several years ago and they sent me a complete new handle mechanism even though I had had my machine a while and it was out of warranty.

View Gallery

Thanks, Susie and Jampot.

Susie, it feels like it just won't 'grab' the plates, almost as if it is all too thick or something. It was working fine, I cut some flowers out, then it just wouldn't do it anymore - same paper, dies and 'sandwich'.
    I've looked online and there are videos on YT to show how to replace the bearing, which is a possibility. I does look like a bit of a faff so I'd hate to buy new bearings and go to all that trouble until I'm surer that the bearing is the issue. I've contacted Sizzix anyway, and will await a response.
    Margo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Have you tried the different combination for an embossing folder? I can't see any reason why that should work but I always eliminate everything first. I hope you get a quick response from Sizzix.

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

How old is it Margo cos Sizzix warranty is 3 years. Just a thought the casing where the handle is hasnt come away from the machine has it? I had issues with mine a few years ago and the casing came away. They repaired it but it always felt really stiff after that. In te end I bought a spellbinders Platinum. Hope you can get it sorted. Just another thopught nothing has got caught in the rollers to stop it grabbing the plates like some lose paper/card.

Chinese whisper LO swap

View Gallery

Yes, that's good that the warranty is actually 3 years.

However, I had a go at flattening out the plates, which were very warped, and it's working again. I'll look after them better in future.

Thanks everyone.
    Margo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Glad to hear it's working again Margo, well done.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Margo..did you put your plates in the oven? I’ve seen several YT tutorials on how to do that..but haven’t been brave enough to try it.

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Hi all. Just had a read of this and thought I would put my twopenneth in! I have "flattened" many of my plates in the oven. Follow the instructions on youtube carefully - i.e. wrap them in foil (with no wrinkles) and place something heavy, such as a similar sized dish full of water, on top of them and leave until they are cold before removing this. It really does work.

View Gallery

Yes, yiayia, that's exactly what I did! I reckoned I'd nothing to lose after all, Elaine, so I was happy to take the risk. I've done it a couple of times now, and it's so much better.
    Margo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Does that trick melt the cracks back together as well as straighten ?! I think mine are on the verge of breaking, I force all sorts through mine
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Does it go in a low heat?

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Hi again. I usually do it on about 180 - merely because I use that heat for so much of what I cook in the oven - and they are in there for at least 45 minutes, at the lowest shelf, again because that is the most convenient place as things are on the higher shelves. I then remove the whole "sandwich" from the oven and leave it to go cold.

Alison - I don't know about the cracks, I can't recall mine being actually cracked. I doesn't get rid of the "cut marks" IYKWIM - but then they work fine with them in anyway don't they? But, let's face it, you don't have a lot to loose if they are very near the end of their shelf life anyway do you? However, if they are back to flat then I would assume that the cracks wouldn't get any worse. All I can say is give it a go - and please let us know how it works out with regard to the cracks.

Another hack I learned is to have the plate you are cutting into at the top of the sandwich rather than the bottom and to flip it and rotate it often i.e. instead of the die cutting down into the paper or card it cuts UP into it.. This does seem to increase the time it takes for the plates to start to bend and buckle.

I always have one plate for cutting into and one for the base and when the cutting into plate is beyond saving I bring the bottom plate up to use as the cutting into one and put a new one on as the base plate.

Have I made this easy to understand or not please?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    That all makes sense Yiayia. Mine seem to last quite a long time, even cracked, scratched and bent ! Will give the oven a try sometime, that’s if I can work out how that works
    I tend to rotate the plates all the time, but haven’t tried cutting up rather than down.
    Another thing I’ve found to help things go through easily is not to have the die too near the end, so the plates start going through before it hits the resistance of the dies. maybe that was your issue Margo ?
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022