Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

How can you select a bunch of objects if they are ontop of something?

I have used Silhouette Studio today for the first time in anger, but not for my portrait.. I just needed to do a simple design and figured that SS would be ideal.

The design couldn't be simpler.. it just a flat rectangle in the background.. And a little bits of text in the foreground.

I am used to using the select tool to draw a rectangle around the bits I want to select and then move/resize.. But I hit a snag.. When you have the filled rectangle in the background, as soon as you click you select the rectangle and drag it, rather than draw a rectangle with the select tool.

Is there any way around this? Is there a modifier key you can press so that it allows you to drag and select?

The only way around this was to drag the background rectangle off and out of the way.. Then I could use the select tool normally... But it got really frustrating as I tried to fine tune the design

Does this make sense? Does anyone have any tips for this??

Jon

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Have you tried taking the fill off selecting the text then when you've done what you need to do then put the fill back on. If it's not got the fill on it's a "hollow" rectangle if the fill is on it's a "solid" object if that makes sense

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    Have you tried taking the fill off selecting the text then when you've done what you need to do then put the fill back on. If it's not got the fill on it's a "hollow" rectangle if the fill is on it's a "solid" object if that makes sense
    Pretty much what I have been doing.. Moving the background out of the way or making it transparant, does the same thing

I just wondered if there was a way of "forcing" the select tool to draw its rectangle, even if you start to use it ontop of an object..

Its no big deal, I think I should just put the background in when I am 100% done...

Thanks.

Jon

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jweaver View Post
    Pretty much what I have been doing.. Moving the background out of the way or making it transparant, does the same thing

I just wondered if there was a way of "forcing" the select tool to draw its rectangle, even if you start to use it ontop of an object..

Its no big deal, I think I should just put the background in when I am 100% done...

Thanks.

Jon
    I tried with some text and a rectangle making sure the rectangle had no fill and was at the bak and it worked for me. Maybe you have a different version of Studio to the one I have I'm using version 4.464.00

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

No.. You misunderstand. I am agreeing with you.

The solution to this is to either move the background out of the way.. Or remove the fill.

My question was whether you could force the select tool to draw a selection rectangle even when you click on an object first (in this case the background)

But I can live with moving the background our or removing the fill.. I just wondered if there was another way.

Jon

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Assuming you are referring to dragging a box to select your items then check your Preferences - either click on the Edit menu and choose “Preferences” or click on the gear icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Click on Tools - the menu is divided into three sections -Action After Tool Use, Selection Tools and Editing Tools. In selection Tools you can choose how you want the drag box to work.

View Gallery

I hope Shirley's suggestion has helped you

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That didn't actually help me with THIS issue.. I can't find an option which changes the behavour.. If you start to drag a box when your pointer is oversomething (i.e a background filled box) it GRABS the object (in this case a box), rather than drawing the rectangle.. This is just how it works as you can only drag a rectangle if you are in free space.. But if your pointer is over (or near something) something it will always grab it... And I am surprised there isn't an option to do this.

The option I would need to find would be described as:

"Always drag a selection rectangle, even if pointer positioned over an object"....

But I do need to thank you for bringing my attention to this.. One thing I am not keen on with SS is the fact that you select objects by touching them with the drag box, rather than enclosing them.. I use Sketchuip a lot and I am used to totally enclosing the objects I want to grab.. And there IS an option for this, so I will be trying that for sure... I also hate the fact that after drawaing a shape, SS wants to draw another shape rather than go back to the selection tool.. And there is an option for that too... So I am happy!

Jon
    Last edited by jweaver; 01-03-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Would it help to work with layers ?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

It might.. But I think just moving the background out of the way (or making it no-fill) is the obvious solution

Now that you have shown me the "tools" options in settings, I am surprised there isn't one which addresses this.

To be honest, I am not keen on how SS selects objects when you are close to them.. I don't know how many times I thought I was dragging the select box and ended up moving something.. I can see why some people like this.. And I generally do.. But there are times when its really annoying.

If I had my way I would have a setting that said "ALWAYS used the selection tool to select".

View Gallery

Think I would agree with the others, I would do what I had to first and then fill the background when i'm finished
    Maureen