Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

After tracing an image is there a way to move it away and then back again accuratly?

I have had my Portrait 3 for a few months and use it primarily for Vinyl Cutting..

Today I wanted to print something and cut it out and decided to finally try the Print and Cut feature.

It was initially disappointing as I couldn't read the registration marks, but after wasting 30 mins I restarted Silhouette Studio, changed the type of paper and dug out my official matt and it worked first time.. So I don't know what the problem was, but its working now.

And I was amazed how well it works.. But I have one quesiton (Finally to the point)

When you take an image and trace it, is there a way to "hide" the image so you can clean up the trace? I guess moving the image out of the trace is a good idea... But how do you move it back accuaratly so that its exactly inside the trace lines? Is it a case of just moving it with the cursor keys until its right? Or is there a way to move it back to where it started?

Thanks in advance for any tips..

Jon

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Jon I always use 'trace and detach' which leaves the image within the cut lines. I do use a mouse to edit and double click on the image for the edit points to appear. I then pulling the 'edit points (sometimes called nodes)' in and out to follow the edge of an image. I do find the latest version of Studio to be quite accurate and I don't have to edit that much. The cut line in red only show between the edit point selected and the one it leads to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Jon to move accurately a trace over the image click on the 'transform panel'. Select both your image and the traced outline and click on the far right 'centre'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Jon I always use 'trace and detach' which leaves the image within the cut lines. I do use a mouse to edit and double click on the image for the edit points to appear. I then pulling the 'edit points (sometimes called nodes)' in and out to follow the edge of an image. I do find the latest version of Studio to be quite accurate and I don't have to edit that much. The cut line in red only show between the edit point selected and the one it leads to.
    Thats actually really helped me with another quesiton.. Thats helped me understand how I "crop" background off of an object.. And works really well.

But once I use the "Trace and detach" feature, the obejct is now cutout of the background (so I have 2 images), but the trace lines are gone.. So how do I cut it? Trace again?

Is there a way to trace & detach but leave the red trace lines behind?

Jon

Edit: I have just realsied I don't need to trace it. If I "send" it, the outside of the image is cut.. But what if I want to modify the trace lines? Perhaps adding an offset to create a border?

Edit2: Ignore that.. I can just click on the image and do an offset and the trace lines appear at a distance that I want...

Edit3: No.. thats not right. Now when I do the 'send' I can see 2 cut lines.. One directly against the image. The other a distance out (Where I created the offset)... I guess I could just click on that line and do "no cut"... That seems to work.. Is that the right approach?
    Last edited by jweaver; 19-02-2021 at 03:18 PM.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by jweaver View Post
    Thats actually really helped me with another quesiton.. Thats helped me understand how I "crop" background off of an object.. And works really well.

But once I use the "Trace and detach" feature, the obejct is now cutout of the background (so I have 2 images), but the trace lines are gone.. So how do I cut it? Trace again?

Is there a way to trace & detach but leave the red trace lines behind?

Jon

Edit: I have just realsied I don't need to trace it. If I "send" it, the outside of the image is cut.. But what if I want to modify the trace lines? Perhaps adding an offset to create a border?

Edit2: Ignore that.. I can just click on the image and do an offset and the trace lines appear at a distance that I want...

Edit3: No.. thats not right. Now when I do the 'send' I can see 2 cut lines.. One directly against the image. The other a distance out (Where I created the offset)... I guess I could just click on that line and do "no cut"... That seems to work.. Is that the right approach?
    Yes Jon when you send it to cut click on 'no cut' for the actual image and just leave the offset outer edge to be cut.

In case anything gets left behind on the mat area I move my image or images completely away from the background off the cutting mat, then scroll my mouse across the mat just in case a tiny cut line or two gets left behind. That has happened to me a small cut line I did not see and laid an image on top of it.