Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Input on machines? Which one?

I think my quite ancient Cricut (1st Gen, using Sure Cuts A Lot, by way of dating how old it is!) has finally given up the ghost.

I an stunned by all the options. I need something that cuts stencils (mylar and transparencies) and probably sticky backed craft foam, not much bothered by cutting paper.

I am WAY out of touch. I need something pretty idiot proof, that works with a Mac (still running El Capitan and not interested in upgrading until I am forced to) and it needs to be able to go from an image (jpg usually) to an SVG.

What are my options? Anyone know which Graphtec product will fit the bill?

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Well the Cameo 4 should meet your requirements MaryAnne - lots of info on it here https://www.silhouette101.com/archiv...uette-cameo-4#. If you want to be able open a jpeg, trace it to get cutting lines then save as an svg then you would need to upgrade to the Business Edition of the Silhouette Studio software - comparison chart here - https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/so...mparison-chart. Depending on the size of things you want to cut there are bigger C4 machines availble, the 15" Cameo plus and the 20" Cameo Pro.

View Gallery

You're not alone Mary Anne, I too am running El Capitan on my iMac. I use it with a Cameo 3 running Designer Edition but as I only make cards it does everything I need.
    Another Shirley.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I am still using my Cameo 2 MaryAnne, but upgraded to the business edition of the software. I have read all about the new machines and agree with Shirley that the Cameo 4 is probably the machine that would suit you. I have had a cutting machine for many years and think the software is brilliant and does more than some of the other brands. Why not try downloading the free version of the Silhouette software and have a play with it before buying your machine? At least then you will know if you get on with the software before spending money on the machine. There is no point in buying the machine and not getting on with the software. Sorry, I don't know about running it on a Mac as I use a Windows machine.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I can't be any help with the later versions of the machine because I still have the original Cameo

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    I am still using my Cameo 2 MaryAnne, but upgraded to the business edition of the software. I have read all about the new machines and agree with Shirley that the Cameo 4 is probably the machine that would suit you. I have had a cutting machine for many years and think the software is brilliant and does more than some of the other brands. Why not try downloading the free version of the Silhouette software and have a play with it before buying your machine? At least then you will know if you get on with the software before spending money on the machine. There is no point in buying the machine and not getting on with the software. Sorry, I don't know about running it on a Mac as I use a Windows machine.
    I wasn't even aware that was possible! But I can see how it might be a good idea. Stupid question - where do I download the software?

View Gallery

You can download the basic version from here MaryAnne. To get the extra features you have to pay to upgrade but the basic will give you a good idea of how the sotware works -
    https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 26-11-2020 at 11:01 AM.

View Gallery

Humm. Won't open. Must put my tech support on it His name is Chris....

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    Humm. Won't open.
    Okay, a thousand apologies for even suggesting such a thing but here goes .... you did download the MAC version rather than the Windows version didn't you? I assume your Mac wouldn't stop you from downloading incompatible software but would not be able to run it (don't have a Mac myself so this is a total guess and I could be talking out of my rear).

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    I wasn't even aware that was possible! But I can see how it might be a good idea. Stupid question - where do I download the software?
    Sorry MaryAnne, I have only just had a chance to come back on here. I see Shirley gave you the link to download it, have you managed to open it yet? I am afraid I don't know how a Mac works, so can't offer any advice with that side of things.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Wonder why there are two versions for Windows 32 and 64 bit but only one a 64 bit for a Mac

View Gallery

Def the Mac version, def the one that is compatible with the OS. It downloads, unpacks, drags into Applications, just won’t open. I’ll try again in the AM

Nope. Just the little spinner saying Verifying Silhouette Studio and .... nothing. I tried downloading the older Beta version to test . So not sure what the issue is but now worries it MIGHT mean I can't run SS on my Mac without upgrading. I'll try a few things and see what happens before I give up....

View Gallery

Don’t know if this will help but you can find the minimum system requirements here - https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/fa...m-requirements

View Gallery

Operating System: PC (Windows 8.1 and higher) OR Mac (OS X 10.10 and higher). Chromebook is currently not supported.

I am on 10.11.6
    Internet connection: Strongly recommended for updates and access to the Silhouette Design Store. Required to activate a license key for upgrade.
    Obviously I am on the internet....
    RAM: 4 GB of RAM
    4GB
    Processor: 2 GHz (or faster) processor speed
    2.53 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB hard disk space
    4 GB
    USB Port: USB 1.1 Port (or higher)
    I assume so but as nothing is hooked up this should not matter

The only thing I can figure is that as there is no machine, it can't verify the software. Which doesn't surprise me, really. It seemed odd that I would be able to run software when that thing it would control can't be pinged to verify.

Still need to have hubby have a look but it does look like I CAN run it based on the system parameters....

View Gallery

Well you defintely don't need to have a machine connected to run the software on Windows so can't imagine it would be different for a mac. Perhaps worth trying one of the Legacy versions - https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software. I am a Silhouette Closed Beta tester so have asked the software development team if they have any suggestions -will keep you posted

Have had this reply already from another Beta tester- "Not sure if this is her problem but on my Mac the first time I open an application I downloaded from a website (anything not from App Store) I have to right click on the application and select Open and then agree to running a 3rd party program. After that it’s good to go. Simply clicking to open doesn’t work."