Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: The Gallery

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

The Gallery

OK. I can easily see how I can increase the storage for members. I can see that I can actually limit the uploads to three a Day, which has always been the "rule" but not enforced as such by the software.

I can see a way, I think, to delete member galleries based on the least popular/oldest ones, but they need to be done page by page (of 50 or so entries) of 700+ pages. The only OTHER way is to do it in a very sledgehammer sort of way, by date.

https://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/photopost/index.php is the Gallery list. Thoughts and comments on what might be useful categories to have/keep? Ones that can clearly be deleted (NOT the Cyber Crop ones, ever )

Look at your own galleries and if there are layouts that do NOT show up in your Member Gallery, move them there, so if an old gallery is deleted (like, say ATCs) you don't lose them.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    A lot of these seem to be bereft of posts for a long time
    SNAP: All Years
    ATC Gallery
    Swaps & Circle Journals
    Christmas Journals
    Older Events and Challenges
    UKS 2014 Summer Scrapbooking Challenge
    Break it Down
    & now for something completely different
    Stash Bash
    UKS Art Journey
    Scrap Like You Mean It
    Have I got Scrap for You
    Document: 2010
    Mini-Books 2010
    52 Questions

The biggest by far to cull would be challenges but not everyone might have put their pages in their members gallery as well so that one certainly needs to be left

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I think most people just upload their pages in ‘layouts’ now as that brings them up at the top, so I think many of the others are not used anymore
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    That is certainly the case for me. The only other galleries I use is Card making and weekly challenges..which is where I ‘hide’ my layouts until it is the week to load them as a challenge.
    I think by date sounds like a good idea MA

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    I am more inclined to delete based on a sort of the "least popular" galleries - I would prefer to sort them both by time of last upload, AND size AND popularity but that isn't possible And there are pitfalls! I believe I noticed a user posting after a very long time and her gallery popped up as one that has not been posted in or viewed much. And yet, a brute force cull might have deleted her when she could have been just on the verge of rejoining and becoming more active again.

As to Dolly's list, I might check the entries. See if they are in Member Galleries as well as the challenge gallery. I believe I have the power to move things, and if so, I can do that before deleting the smaller galleries. But it will be a massive undertaking!

View Gallery

I think date would be wrong as we’d lose some really good inspirational stuff from some world class scrappers and things that link with the cyber crops and classes so I think date would be a real problem.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    That is certainly the case for me. The only other galleries I use is Card making and weekly challenges..which is where I ‘hide’ my layouts until it is the week to load them as a challenge.
    I have just looked at the challenge gallery ... never been in there. I don’t know how this works but for example your pages are in there Elaine and in layouts. Does this mean it takes up extra space MA ..if it is in two places is it taking up twice as much room. I seriously have no understanding and it might not be the case.

Elaine just a thought ... is it worth deleting one page from the challenge album and seeing if it goes from your own album too in which case it won’t be duplicating space but if it goes and is still in your main layouts album then maybe that means you are doubling ip on space and could clear quite a lot.

I am so not techy so don’t know how the gallery space works in this sense.

View Gallery

I believe it is ... how do I explain this? Like a POINTER system. There is a single layout uploaded. I think when you upload you get some options, You can CHANGE the Gallery you upload to and if so there is then a POINTER to that layout in the other Gallery. But the layout (I THINK, unless you do a specific thing that I forget right now ) is still in your member Gallery. I will test out the theory in my own gallery cause I am pretty sure I will have added something and sent it to a specific gallery in the past. I'll report back. But yeah, if I am right, just removing those unused galleries will help tidy things up.

And then we need to consider how we can make use of this info going forward. Having Galleries for current challenges that we can use while the challenge is ongoing then remove (with no loss of layouts posted) when they are done will keep things tidy. On the other hand KEEPING Galleries but moving them to the equivalent of the Older Challenges subforum means peols have an easy way to go find layouts created for a challenge to get inspired. Lots to think about.....

View Gallery

I will give it a try too ... haven’t any in other galleries like challenges but will have a play

My question to Elaine was wether she moves the page, adds a pointer, or uploads again But I worded it in such a convo,Uter way no one would EVER have worked that out��

Of for a beach walk now as it’s a beautiful day

View Gallery

OK. The Project Life Gallery is quite small. My plan is to look at each upload and make sure it is in Members Galleries. If it is, then it will be safe when I remove the Gallery. I will then upload a random image and put it ONLY in the Project Life Gallery and then REMOVE the Gallery. If what I uploaded is still in my Member Gallery I know it is safe to remove the others and not risk losing anyone's work. If the image ALSO gets removed and is NOT in my member gallery, than we have to rethink.

View Gallery

Well crap. Photos uploaded into the categories will be removed when the category gets removed. Thusfar I can't see a way to BULK MOVE things, then have to be one at a time. Annoying. So it may not be possible to remove categories from the Gallery without losing layouts.

I'll carry on investigating....

Sorted. I think it will work, as it let me move all things from the ATC Gallery into it's parent Bits&Bobs.