Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlady View Post
    Hi Smudger, I am just catching up with this thread but can I say there is NO limit as to how many people can be in a team, the only limit is how many members can submit points and that is 10. You are allowed to join a team as a non=points collecting member and also be in another team to submit points if you wish. Hope that helps.

My mistake then, sorry, I thought it was 10 to a team. Shows what I know. Apologies
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie B View Post
    So good to hear someone else’s very valid point of view. I hope your voice is heard by MaryAnn (admin) and Karen & Sue, moderators)
    I think we have shown we are listening very carefully to everyone’s views As we always do.

Smudger thank you so much for your comments which are very helpful. It is always good to see it from all perspectives and yours is important. Thank you. As HIlary said there is no team limit ... just a cap,on only 10 submitting points.

I have to say the teams started for the best of reasons wHen the forum was huge and likewise the whole points system. Now I think that the forum is so small the teams are often divisive, separating people and making it cliquey. I think the points lead to people doing things just for the points which really ought not to be the main reason and can alienate those who do not collect. I think newbie think they can’t take part sometimes and that is really sad. I confess to not knowing the answer to the team and point thing. Part of me thinks it is a good motivation to scrap and nice to get to know a few people more closely, but part of me thinks it’s driving it for the wrong reasons and is putting of some of our members. I guess like with most things there is no easy answer. I collect points but can honestly say I would scrap the same number of pages, take part in the same challenges (i am a challenge junkie ... I just love challenges and when I run out poor Nigel sets me challenges ... yes I am odd) etc if there were no points.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I’m following this with interest and am trying to gather my own thoughts together.
    It’s lovely to see people sharing their thoughts and ideas, every opinion is of value

It has been a funny old year and people have been experiencing it in so many different ways and emotions have been up and down.
    I would just like to say Thankyou to all of you lovely people who have kept us going here on UKS, it’s great that the challenges have kept going despite all the other stuff going on

Thankyou MaryAnne for the running of this site, I’m no techie so have no idea how it is made and would be no help in that department, I’m so pleased there are people that understand how these things work

I love UKS, and I love the challenges.
    Karen and Sue, you have come up with some great ideas over the year. I’m rubbish at thinking up original ideas, but if it helps I would be quite happy to take over one of the challenges that already exists so you can concentrate on other ideas and priorities.
    I love scraplifting so would be happy to take on the chain link challenge and refresh that in the new year, and possibly the twisted scraplift too.
    Last edited by alison 2; 21-11-2020 at 09:26 PM.
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Alison that would be fabulous ... you are always so supportive anyway and do a great job with leading the green house, setting monthlies etc. Be great to have you do a regular like the twisted scraplift etc and see that back if you are happy

View Gallery

OK great, I’m in. I’ll just have to go back and remind myself what the twist was
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

I do think one thing we could all do is comment more in the threads.
    Say Thankyou to whoever has set a challenge, comment on people’s efforts if you have set a challenge, or just say ‘hi’
    Let’s keep the threads active and visible, if we use them they will show up on the ‘Forum Spy’ page which is my ‘home’ page. All threads with new comments show up there
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Glad to hear that UKS is continuing into 2021. What an interesting thread. Though I've been here for a while, it's nevertheless cleared up a few things for me.

First can I reiterate all the thanks already expressed, to everyone who is paddling like mad behind the scenes (to mix my metaphors!) to keep UKS afloat.

I think this is the first time I have seen a monthly cost for running the site, so that has been helpful to know.

I am constantly amazed at the diversity of challenges set, and commend everyone who sets them - especially the regular weekly/monthly ones, as those require a big commitment of time and effort as well as requiring more imagination than I possess.

I've been considering suggesting an idea for a new monthly challenge (which I am happy to run) - I will PM Karen.

I have some thoughts about the teams, now that I understand them better. When I came back to scrapping a couple of years ago, I decided that joining a team and doing challenges for points would be a good discipline for me. (I was previously the world's slowest scrapper!). Doing the regular challenges has helped me a great deal, so thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I was placed in a team of other newbies. While I can kind of see the point of this, on reflection there may have been benefits to adding us to existing teams. Something to think about for the future.
    Perhaps some new rules are needed? (Thinking aloud here): Eg, allow up to 12 points collectors, but only the top 10 can be submitted for the team that month; then, if there are consistently 12 people submitting points the team is split into 2 teams, with the 12 regular points collectors spread equally across the 2 new teams. The new (smaller) teams would then be open for additional members to join. (If there are few newbies, I realise that is probably pointless, but it's just a thought.)

How strongly do the current teams feel about continuing with their current members - should members and teams be allocated randomly each January?

Finally, I think the comments about perceived 'lateness' of posting challenges is simply a reflection of how enthusiastic some members are to get on with them - we all work to different timetables, and for some people, the new challenges may even be the highlight of their week (isn't that a flattering thought?)! It's a shame if the comments came across as critical.

I still occasionally have a look though some of the old forums and posts and classes, and it would be good if these can be retained for reference. I've never taken part in a cyber crop.

Finally, can I just say that I would prefer the site to retain its focus on scrapbooking. Off The Page is a lovely way to see what else people get up to - there are some stunningly talented members here - and the points are a nice bonus, but it IS 'ukcrappers' after all, and the reason we all came here in the first place.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Alison thanks for your input and in in the GB
    You always list the challenges and point us in the right direction
    And co ordinate the weeklies we take on board to do
    What about a monthly class ?
    They always so popular in CC
    I happy to step in with weekly if someone forgets
    Or the sketch challenge I always enjoy that one too
    And happy to help

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (90)
    Yes i think thats why the photogenic thread is so nice its very chatty
    Where as some threads have lots views but no comments
    Its so nice too to comment on each other LO's I know we do try our best UKS has so much inspiration in the gallery

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by g61 View Post
    Glad to hear that UKS is continuing into 2021. What an interesting thread. Though I've been here for a while, it's nevertheless cleared up a few things for me.

First can I reiterate all the thanks already expressed, to everyone who is paddling like mad behind the scenes (to mix my metaphors!) to keep UKS afloat.

I think this is the first time I have seen a monthly cost for running the site, so that has been helpful to know.

I am constantly amazed at the diversity of challenges set, and commend everyone who sets them - especially the regular weekly/monthly ones, as those require a big commitment of time and effort as well as requiring more imagination than I possess.

I've been considering suggesting an idea for a new monthly challenge (which I am happy to run) - I will PM Karen.

I have some thoughts about the teams, now that I understand them better. When I came back to scrapping a couple of years ago, I decided that joining a team and doing challenges for points would be a good discipline for me. (I was previously the world's slowest scrapper!). Doing the regular challenges has helped me a great deal, so thank you to everyone who has contributed.

I was placed in a team of other newbies. While I can kind of see the point of this, on reflection there may have been benefits to adding us to existing teams. Something to think about for the future.
    Perhaps some new rules are needed? (Thinking aloud here): Eg, allow up to 12 points collectors, but only the top 10 can be submitted for the team that month; then, if there are consistently 12 people submitting points the team is split into 2 teams, with the 12 regular points collectors spread equally across the 2 new teams. The new (smaller) teams would then be open for additional members to join. (If there are few newbies, I realise that is probably pointless, but it's just a thought.)

How strongly do the current teams feel about continuing with their current members - should members and teams be allocated randomly each January?

Finally, I think the comments about perceived 'lateness' of posting challenges is simply a reflection of how enthusiastic some members are to get on with them - we all work to different timetables, and for some people, the new challenges may even be the highlight of their week (isn't that a flattering thought?)! It's a shame if the comments came across as critical.

I still occasionally have a look though some of the old forums and posts and classes, and it would be good if these can be retained for reference. I've never taken part in a cyber crop.

Finally, can I just say that I would prefer the site to retain its focus on scrapbooking. Off The Page is a lovely way to see what else people get up to - there are some stunningly talented members here - and the points are a nice bonus, but it IS 'ukcrappers' after all, and the reason we all came here in the first place.
    Some brilliant observations and ideas and very positive

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by alison 2 View Post
    OK great, I’m in. I’ll just have to go back and remind myself what the twist was
    Fab Alison ... I think I used to make up a different twist each time so it’s very free rain for you to make it your own and run with it. Whatever you come up with will be fab.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by bramblepie View Post
    Alison thanks for your input and in in the GB
    You always list the challenges and point us in the right direction
    And co ordinate the weeklies we take on board to do
    What about a monthly class ?
    They always so popular in CC
    I happy to step in with weekly if someone forgets
    Or the sketch challenge I always enjoy that one too
    And happy to help
    Great ideas and positive ones too. I think classes would be a great idea.

Perhaps anyone who would like to offer a class could pm me and I will see what the take up is like and organise a timetable ... and no, NOT because I am taking over but, as a moderator, it needs coordinating and I see that as part of the job.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I have some ideas bubbling for new challenges as do a few of my team..would you prefer one email from the team leader or individual ones?
    Margo, I think you made a really good point about not meaning to come across as critical..no one would ever want to criticise people intentionally. We are all volunteers after all and there are far more important things going on in the world right now and this forum is a great place to come and forget about your troubles. Long may that continue.
    It is great to see so many people invested into this site.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    Quote Originally Posted by g61 View Post

Thank you so much for your post and making me see things from a more positive stand point. I did take to heart the bit about late challenges and I guess some of that was partly due to a guilty conscience and partly due to feeling some indignation as I am a volunteer and doing my best.

Your point about newbies coming into established teams is a good one and I will make sure that doesn't get lost.

Finally, can I just say that I would prefer the site to retain its focus on scrapbooking. Off The Page is a lovely way to see what else people get up to - there are some stunningly talented members here - and the points are a nice bonus, but it IS 'ukscrappers' after all, and the reason we all came here in the first place.
    Hear hear. And it was in response to listening to you all that I put Off the Page in motion.

My (badly written) request for someone to take over Friday Five was genuine if anyone would like to?

Alison, I would be delighted for you to look after Chainlink thank you.

We are listening and we really aren't averse to changing anything for the better but ... is it possible for this thread to concentrate on ways forward and exciting new ideas?

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I think we crossed there Sue. I’m glad your ruffled feathers have been smoothed.. no one wants a ‘ruffled Sue’

One thing I keep meaning to mention is..is there any way to extend the size of the galleries for individuals? it is very irksome to have to keep deleting favourite layouts to make room for new ones. Some of my layouts from just last month have had to be deleted to make room for mine. I know a lot of that problem is due to the fact I scrap as much as I do but I enjoy it, so why not? With less people on here at present I hoped we could all have a bit more space for loading our layouts.

Whilst I hear what you are saying about ‘other crafts’ we could still have the focus on scrapping but have another section for, say, art journaling, etc. Keep it to paper crafts by all means but I think a broader spectrum would be welcomed and may encourage more people..which is what we all want.