Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

UKS 2021 - input?

Hi all,

Good news is that all but one sponsor from last year has agreed to stay on board. That is enough for me to carry UKS forward.

Other good news is a renewed commitment from Graphtec to not only support the sub-forum, but to do so in a more active way. I have had some offers of help to breathe new life into UKS, which may or may not actually materialize, we shall see.

SO. What would be good is for you to all wade in. What EXACTLY do you want from UKS in 2021? Share your ideas. If I can make them happen I will.

Do you want to offer a weekly or monthly class? Do you blog and would you be interested in a blog hop? Is FB hopping a thing? Maybe it should be LOL!

Let's see if there is a way to breathe new life into the old girl At the very least let's have a discussion.

And support those sponsors. Show them how much their continued support means to you. Quite literally UKS would not be here without them. Let's make UKS a place worth supporting.

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I enjoy the challenges on here and would like them to continue. It would be nice if the sponsors actually replied to questions in the sponsor shopping forum even if it was a sorry we dont stock that item. Hopefully UKS can become the vibrant place it once was.

Chinese whisper LO swap

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I like the challenges, although I haven't really taken part this year, but I'm planning to do as many as I can next year. Maybe a monthly class might be nice using different techniques. Great news that we can carry on.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    My own thoughts are there is too much ‘dead wood’ in here. Lots of old challenges that are no longer relevant. To a lay person, this is a very difficult forum to navigate. When I first joined this site I came in had a look around had no idea where to start or what to look for and slunk out again for another couple of years before one day deciding to try to get the hang of it...and that was when there was a home page. Maybe ‘tabs’ would be a way forward rather than a long list of sub categories.
    Right now, I think with the resurgence of crafting in general is going through a hiatus, we should be more inclusive of other crafts and to engage the sponsors more. With the ‘off the page’ thread generating a lot of interest there is an opportunity for people to join because they craft in another form and we could get them into scrapbooking? It’s a lost opportunity I feel.
    There is a very active Craft Robo forum and lots of individual groups but there doesn’t seem any way to encourage new members. Could we go back and contact old members? Would they be willing to reconnect? Could we promote ourselves elsewhere and tell people we are still going..whenever I mention UKS the response I get is ‘oh are they still going?’ We need to promote ourselves as a vibrant community but to do that we have to embrace other social media platforms too.
    Lots more to think about but these are my first thoughts.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    The team that I belong to Scrap Happy have discussed ways of how UKS could go forward. Our Team leader, Tink, has already been in contact with Admin regarding our ideas and Elaine has mentioned others in her comment above. However it seems that a thorough overhaul of the site isn’t practical. Perhaps if Admin were to suggest how they think members could help to revitalise UKS they would find volunteers ready to help.
    Member of Scrap That

My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I love the challenges, but sometimes find them hard to find, things seem to move- could be just me, but Daily scrap, Off the page and card challenge, are ones I can't always find easily. Some appear late, which can be a bit disappointing, and I keep looking around in case I'm in the wrong place.

As mentioned some of the older things could go, not sure where but for example on my PC on the left there's a box with latest posts, one is dated 2016, that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

I loved the cyber crops, even the manic ones which had us making things we'd never use, it was just fun.

I would be happy to help out with setting some of the challenges, I do try to comment on LOs and other items.
    I'd prefer it to stay mainly Scrapbook orientated as there's already a lot to see here, sharing as we do though on the card making and Off the page sections.
    I liked it when there was a homepage, which used to have some of the major challenges on or a featured LO perhaps.
    In fantasy world I'd also like more space in gallery.

The thought of UKS disappearing is scary, it's got me through a lot in the last few years and I want to keep it going. I don't want to sound like I'm whinging, I just have so many friends here and love seeing everyone's work.
    I'm pleased we have another year ahead and look forward to seeing what Graphtec and the other Sponsors have up their sleeves.
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (60)
    I have worked my socks off to write challenges for this forum. If they are sometimes a day or few late I make no apology - until this year they were never a minute late - I have been busy co-ordinating a group of volunteers raising funds and making PPE for frontline workers - yes still! I'm sorry but that smarts!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (49)
    It's great news to hear UKS can carry on. Unfortunately I haven't been an active member this year...no scrapping from me it's just been one of those years, however feeling up to get back in to.

I really appreciate the efforts of admin, keeping the site ticking over & bringing out new challenges....long may it continue!

I agree the old homepage was much more user friendly, shame it disappeared

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MiniOwner View Post
    I have worked my socks off to write challenges for this forum. If they are sometimes a day or few late I make no apology - until this year they were never a minute late - I have been busy co-ordinating a group of volunteers raising funds and making PPE for frontline workers - yes still! I'm sorry but that smarts!
    And all your hard work is appreciated by many I’m sure but if you want to lighten your load on UKS and catch your breath for a bit why not ask for some help? As I mentioned before members need to know where/how they can help Admin to keep things running.
    Member of Scrap That

You're never too old to try something new ;) TinkerHamilton's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Sue, I don’t think Karelyn was pointing a finger at any particular person and like you is doing her bit during the pandemic sewing scrubs and masks.

I have shared my thoughts in an email with MA but have stepped back since certain social media groups are of the opinion that Scrap Happy and its members “are trying to take over”. Where this misinformed opinion came from is a mystery. Nothing could be further from the truth.

We have a vibrant and chatty team, we enjoy the challenges and are actively scrapping and doing our best to keep the gallery buzzing. However, the site not always easy to navigate and is getting quieter each month. Over in Scrap Happy we are agreed that we would amiss UKS if it was to go and are grateful for another year’s grace. However unless it is allowed to evolve it will sadly fade away. Mixed media and art journalling is on the up as well as a resurgence of scrapping. There are plenty of scrapbook groups on Facebook doing very well as a testament to that. Indeed one of UKS’s ex banner sponsors has itself a very popular Facebook group offering challenges and prizes. There must be a way of luring these sponsors back. I understand the sponsors forum has disappeared. Could sponsors be offered more incentive? The ability to set challenges using their products? Given the chance to offer tutorials? Could a monthly/weekly art journalling challenge be offered?

The above are just some of my thoughts, one thing more than anything that could change is for the admins to accept help when it is offered. I know they work very hard keeping the challenges coming and for that we are grateful but sometimes life gets in the way, we understand that and perhaps a little delegation or acceptance of assistance could not only make life easier for them but could help others feel they have something worthwhile to contribute the success of the forum

Tink
    Member of the Scrappycats

My soul is fed by crafting. thriftycrafter's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    I'm sorry that you've been working your socks off, as you may have seen, I'm quite a fan of Friday 5 and often complete it. I like it and look forward to it's appearance on Friday. I would not like to think though, that it was causing stress to set. A simple name change such as 'Take 3 from 5' or something similar could remove the expectation of it appearing regularly. Asking someone else to take it on for a while to give you a break is an option.

I don't have the skills to 'Take over' or do I wish to, but I would like to help. Life gets in the way sometimes and I hate to think that keeping UKS going is a chore that causes someone stress.

I did not know that the PPE group was causing problems with UKS commitments.
    As previously said I'm grateful to all who set challenges and I'd be pleased to help and keep the forum going.
    Last edited by thriftycrafter; 21-11-2020 at 03:31 PM.
    Happily Scrapping for Scrap That

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    I have pondered what to say in response to this. I certainly don't purport to have all - or indeed any - of the answers but make the following points.

Firstly I have no understanding of how a forum is set up. Not techy or aware of the softeware issues or limitations there mght be so I am absolutely no help when it comes to home pages etc.. I do know that a lot of the old challenges were kept because it was thoguht they might be helpful for people if they wanted to find some inspiration when that old mojo went wandering off. A few years ago members were asked and the overwhelming response was to keep much of the older stuff so it could still be used if wanted. Maybe it is time to cull some of them because I could certainly do without the headache of closing old threads that get 'spam' posts on them. I agree a home page is helpful but it needs someone to maintain that on a weekly basis which MaryAnne Sue and I used to do when we had one - maybe a volunteer could take that on if we can work it to have it back

Secondly I took on the team management in 2006 or 7 when it was a huge forum and it needed a system that worked for vast numbers. I took the decision to split it into 4 houses (we have just 2 remaining) as at one point we had over 40 teams playinga long with the fun on the boards and it became too unweildy. I would like to point out I never tried to run this alone. I simple coordinated the teams, collected the points from the house leaders, ensured the rota for setting challenges was sorted etc. It relied on a whole team of people who gradually dwindled, as did the teams. I think the team system is now one of the issues. As a newbie or an occaisonal user, unless you are in a team or following the daily chat threads in other forums there is little interaction and I think it makes it hard to feel a part of the forum as a whole. The system would work if there were more teams perhaps. Maybe a volunteer would like to take on the responsibility of developing new teams with people so others felt included. I used to do that but frankly gave up for lack of support.

Thirdly I have to say I am very proud of what Sue and I have done to be honest. When MaryAnne became unwell we both stepped up what we were doing to help keep everything ticking over. Apart from coordinating the challenges, we both set a lot of them and people seem to enjoy them. It may seem like a small thing, but it does seem to inspire people to scrap and it takes time and thought. It is extrememly rare that a challenge is missed or delayed and we are both proud of that fact. We have already been busy thinking up new ideas for 2021 but it would appear that maybe people are not satisfied with what we are doing so again, if there are voluneteers who would like to take on setting additional challenges every week/month then that would be brilliant. To my knowledge we have never said no to offers of help but then I am sure someone will point out if I am wrong. I think the fact that we have a weekly every single week, a Friday 5 each week, and each month we have at least 3 other challenges plus things like the ABC, the chain link etc is pretty good for a forum of this size with relatively few active members.

Fourthly, having worked at Fi's right hand woman for several cybercrops they are an incredible amount of hard work. Yes they are fun but there needs to be a very active vibrant group of a decent size to make them successful plus a huge army of volunteers to set challenges, organise sponsor prizes, be there to help, upload, chat, stimulate and unless we get the forum more active it is simply not going to work with the small number of active members we have now. Again perhaps volunteers would like to come forward to try and encourage new members. I know Elaine suggested getting past members back. Most of the friends I started scrapping with and still chat actively too in many facebook groups no longer scrap.

Fifthly - and I know I might be unusual in this - I still think the principle MaryAnne always had was that this is a SCRAPBOOK site. I know there is blurring at the edges with mixed media canvase, art journals etc but it is about where you draw the line. We have card making, true, but we inisitally wanted to stand by the principle that this was a scrapbooking and memory keeping site. Maybe that needs to be reviewed and because I love UKS I would go with the flow, but in my opiniton it is not the way forward. I think people tend to like groups that focus on what they love and what they do. Personally I belong to a lot of groups that are scrapping, separate groups that are about art and painting, others about crochet etc but as I say that is only my opinion.

Sixthly I would whole heartedly welcome more involvement from sponsors so they got more bang from their buck and so it encouraged interaction between them and the board members with a view to increasing their revenue stream because, after all, that is what it is about. Again perhaps a volunteer would like to step forward and act as a liaison oragnising sponsore challenges. I have done this in the past and I caution you it is not always easy. But it would be very welcomed.

As for comments about Scrap Happy - without Scrap Happy and the other few active teams, the gallery would not get filled at all. No point whatsoever setting challenges if noone does them.

So to sum up, plenty of things for volunteers to offer and please do talk to Sue and I - it is NOT our forum, it is MaryAnne's - but having done a great deal to keep it going I think you would appreciate we have a vested interest in making as good at it could possibly be. I am suprised that people might feel we have shut others out, as that is certainly not the case. We have both done what we have done because UKS matters to us as it does to so many people and some of the comments over the past few months have smarted after what we feel we have tried to do. So please, volunteer for things that you feel you could do to help. A forum is not just an electronic item, it is a meeting place for like-minded friends to gather, inspire each other, share and support and this is OUR forum ... all of us.
    Last edited by scrapdolly; 21-11-2020 at 01:27 PM.

View Gallery

Lots to think about here, Karen.
    Some questions, if I may?
    Firstly, how easy, technically, would it be to reinstate the Home Page? Has it been deleted from the database or is it just sleeping somewhere waiting to be reinstated?
    How many actual Teams and Houses take part in UKS activities. Is there a need for new teams/houses. Are there newbies or returnees eager to join in/start up one if a mentor was to volunteer to show them how?
    Are there any Admin “rules/guidelines” regarding sponsors setting challenges.
    Member of Scrap That

You're never too old to try something new ;) TinkerHamilton's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Thank you for such a concise reply Karen.

Your first point: my understanding is that the home page disappeared when UKS migrated to another platform. I’m relatively au fait with web design and have set up a forum in the past. If it is possible with the current platform I am more than happy to take on the home page.

Second point: as much as I would love to see more teams, with so few visitors at the moment I think it unlikely that more teams would be viable. This makes me very sad but one has to be realistic.

Third point. I will reiterate what I said in my previous post. We are all very grateful for the challenges and what you and Sue do. I can honestly say that I don’t think members are dissatisfied with what you do, but it if a challenge is called Friday 5 it’s not unreasonable to expect it on a Friday. If Sue’s outside commitments are such, maybe as suggested by Thriftycrafter it’s renamed and posted as and when possible. As far as offers of help are concerned, I have offered to help both you and Sue. When you asked about the colour challenge I offered to help with that and you declined. When the Friday 5 was being put up late I offered to help Sue out with that. She also declined. Is it any wonder that members feel that you are loathe to accept help so perhaps not offer it?

Fourth point: I totally agree about the amount of work a cyber crop takes on the magnitude of the old ones. Personally I always gave them a wide berth as they were not for me. That said, when the Scrap Happy retreat was cancelled this year due to the pandemic we spent a weekend virtually cropping together. When Hilary and I were Green Buttons House Leaders we often had Friday fun nights, a couple of challenges, a speed scrap and a lot of fun. A cyber crop does not have to be big and hyped up to be successful.

Fifth point: I hear what you say about the original principal of UKS but life evolves. The popularity of Off The Page is a testament to that. Recording memories is a great thing to do but people prefer to do it in different ways. A good example of this is the difference between digi and real life scrapping. Yes it preserves memories but it does it in a different way.

Sixth point: at the moment as far as I can see the only thing sponsors get in return for their sponsorship get is a link to their site. The sponsors forum is no longer active and I would be interested to know how many of them are actually approached contribute to the challenges?

As for Scrap Happy it’s quite flattering that we’re spoken about outside the forum, the things being said maybe not so much we are not the only active team but maybe the team with the loudest voice.

Finally I’m am not sure how many of the numerous admins are actively contributing to this site but it needs a reboot if it is to survive.

Tink
    Member of the Scrappycats

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Niot sure about the concise reply!! Maybe that was a joke.

Tink I'd be thrilled if you took on the monthly colour challenge - it's all yours (December is done so from january 2021 onwards) I don't recall refusing but I am sure if you say I did then I did. No idea why but there you go. It's yours now.

And it looks like if a home page is possible it is yours too. I have no idea if it is or not.

Perhaps Scrap Happy would like to organise a mini cyber crop type thing too in 2021. I for one would love to play along.

With regards to Off the Page - it only runs to 14 pages since starting in March and as they are very photo heavy pages that isn't a lot. Only 19 people have posted and of those there are maybe half a dozen - me being one - who post regularly and I wonder how many would share in the thread if it didn't garner points? Is it about sharing or points? And with regards to digital scrapping I think the clue is in the name - it is still very much scrapbooking. In the same way you can do digital art journals, digital planners etc.

I can't answer about the sponsor forum I'm afraid. But I would be all for someone working with them and getting them to orgaise a challenge or two or a class etc.

I am not sure about the numerous admins. As far as I am aware the only actuve admins are Sue and I alongside MaryAnne. And yes I agree, that Scrap Happy are not the only active team - my team is active too - but perhaps the team with the loudest voice and obviously a clear idea of where we need to go in the future.
    Last edited by scrapdolly; 21-11-2020 at 04:15 PM.