Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

I'm back!.. But have a problem..

Hi folks,
    I'm Nige and used to be on here a few years ago, but when I finally got my old Craft Robo out of the cupboard to give it another go, I ran into a problem
    It's the old C-330-20. I forgot my sign in details so had to make a new account, ah well.
    The problem is I set it up on the table, took a simple design off my computer ( A GSP file), put it onto an SD card as I've done thousands of times, loaded my carrier plus card, then went to start the cut and an Error message came up saying OFFSCALE, although my design was quite small and well within the red lines. I carried on and clicked CUT ANYWAY and the machine started.
    When I came to look it had cut the design perfectly but instead of being centred on the page, it had cut well over to the left, a good 4" or 100mm. Somehow my design was just left of the centre line??? It did this on several attempts.
    I then did a small 2" oval design and centred it smack in the middle of the page. Made a new file and put it on the SD card, sent it to cut but this time it didn't say OFFSCALE, it just started cutting, you guessed it, my egg shape was cut close the edge on the left hand side...I have absolutely no idea why it is cutting so far out?

Just to confuse matters, I use Silhouette Studio nearly every day as it's perfect for making designs for my Laser machine which also has an A4 size bed. I have no trouble whatsoever with the thousands of designs I have cut, but as soon as I pull the Robo out to cut some card, my alignment problem starts...does anyone have any idea what's wrong? When using my Laser, it's connected directly to my laptop, I only use the SD card on the Robo, if that matters of course?
    Many thanks and hello again, I feel like i'm back in an old favourite club here
    Nige

ps. I Much prefer the original version of Silhouette Studio, and through my various PC up grades I have always used the Legacy 3.6 version is it?

View Gallery

Forgot to ask...
    Is the cable that connects the Robo to a PC a bog standard printer cable? A flat USB one end going to a square USB B at the other? I ask because I've lost mine, doh!

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Welcome back Nige, I hope someone can help you but I guess not may of us still have the Craft Robo. If all else fails I would give Graphtec a ring on Monday as they are always very helpful -01978 666700. I was going to ask what happens if you connect the Robo direct to your laptop rather than using the SD card but I see that's not an option if you have lost the cable, worth trying a printer cable if you have one handy.
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 03-10-2020 at 02:12 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Welcome back from me too Nige. As Shirley says try a printer cable.

From memory it is a printer style cable. My Curio, Cameo 3 and 4 cables all have printer style end going to the USB and the only difference between them and a normal printer cable is the metal goes into a chunky white rubbery/plastic before the cable comes out.

View Gallery

Are you using the registration marks?
    I hope you let us know how you get on with Graphtec.
    I have the Cameo and still have my Craft Robo, also.
    Petrina

View Gallery

Me too Petrina, though why I hung onto it I've no idea, haven't touched it since buying the Cameo 3. Should have tried to sell it but too late now.
    Another Shirley.

View Gallery

BowBow- hang onto it. With the Craft Robo, I can sell any design I create using that old program. Not so with the Cameo. I was told I cannot resell any of my designs I create with the Cameo because I use the Cameo software to create my new designs.
    This is a huge big deal for artists that create their own designs and sell digital files.
    Petrina

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Welcome back Nige from me.

View Gallery

Thank you all for the replies and welcome!
    I have overcome the offset problem simply by using a cable from my laser machine which looks to be identical, I now put the Robo on a dining chair next to my PC and send the file directly, works very well too.
    Out of interest, does the ratchet type blade with the numbers on fit my old Robo? Only the small problem I have now is the blades I have seem to be needing a lot of pressure to cleanly cut even thin card stock, I've had to turn the pressure up to 30, I've tried all 3 colour caps but none are as good as they used to be, I'm now considering buying the fat ratchet style blade holder to see if that's any better?
    Many thanks for your comments
    Nige

View Gallery

Yes you can use the ratchet blade with the Craft Robo, but you mustn’t go above setting 3 - the equivalent settings re the coloured caps are 1=blue 2=yellow and 3= red. You can check out compatible machines here on the Graphtec website https://www.graphtecgb.shop/product/...ratchet-blade/

View Gallery

Thank you, I've checked out the ratchet blades and am going to buy one, looking on the Silhouette site there appears to be a multitude of rachet blade types? I mainly want to cut cardstock up to about 300g, which is a heavy card but have no idea which exact ratchet blade to buy? Over the years I've always used the machine for vinyl stickers but now I have a different use for the machine, so much so that if my ideas are successful, I will invest in a new machine, the Cameo 3 is it? But in the meantime I'd like to try a new blade, but which one? Any suggestions will be gratefully received
    Nige

WOW, I've just noticed that Firefox has signed me in using my original Username, why or how I don't know.....

View Gallery

Did you look at the link I posted before as that is the only ratchet blade that is suitable for the Craft Robo and even then it isn't recomended you go higher than setting 3 - https://www.graphtecgb.shop/product/...ratchet-blade/. The premium, deep cut blades etc are only for the Sihouette Cameos, Portraits or Curio. To be honest I think you might have a struggle to cut 300gsm card if it is a detailed design- have you tried with the blade you have and the red cap to cut 300 gsm card because if it doesn't cut with that then I don't think the ratchet will make much difference as setting 3 is the same as the red cap. The latest machine is the dual carriage Cameo 4 which has an increased cutting force and uses a variety of blades to cut different materials.

View Gallery

Thank you for that Shirley Anne, appreciated...........Hmm what to do now.
    I just noticed that the blade in your link can cut chipboard? Really LOL I have loads but it's an inch thick, might struggle there.....or is there a different chipboard?

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Thank you for that Shirley Anne, appreciated...........Hmm what to do now.
    I just noticed that the blade in your link can cut chipboard? Really LOL I have loads but it's an inch thick, might struggle there.....or is there a different chipboard?
    Yes there is a Silhouette brand of chipboard which is 0.4mm thick.