Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)

SVG Cut Lines Printing

I bought a USB stick with printable flower decoupage charisma sheets and SVG cut lines which is set up the Brother machines. Unfortunately for some reason it print out the cut lines. Does anyone know how to stop it printing them.

My solution was to bring all the flowers to the front, which was fiddly and time consuming. It was fiddly enough importing the PDF of the flowers file, laying the SVG cut lines over the top in exactly the right place, then using the knife to roughly cut around each one and grouping each piece of flower with the cut lines. Then rearranging within the registration marks ready to cut.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    In the line style window is the line thickness set to 0 and do you have print cut lines turned off ?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I don't know much bout the Charisma file's but I assume they're there for the machine to follow when using the Brother machine because it needs to have an outline would it not be the same for the Cameo?

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    In the line style window is the line thickness set to 0 and do you have print cut lines turned off ?
    Thanks Shirley, I will go and check. Thinking abut it I remember that being a solution a while ago, but these days my memory is not what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I don't know much bout the Charisma file's but I assume they're there for the machine to follow when using the Brother machine because it needs to have an outline would it not be the same for the Cameo?
    Yes Doreen but the problem is two separate files which for the Cameo print and cut have to go together as one file. Because of the problem with the latest software Studio does not recognise my printer to use the Pixscan mat.

Lovely flowers on the USB but I won't be buying another one. The colours I see on my screen are not the same as the printer prints out. The nearest I could get it was to use the setting for 'other photo paper' and high quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Thanks Shirley, I will go and check. Thinking abut it I remember that being a solution a while ago, but these days my memory is not what it was.

Yes Doreen but the problem is two separate files which for the Cameo print and cut have to go together as one file. Because of the problem with the latest software Studio does not recognise my printer to use the Pixscan mat.

Lovely flowers on the USB but I won't be buying another one. The colours I see on my screen are not the same as the printer prints out. The nearest I could get it was to use the setting for 'other photo paper' and high quality.
    What a shame the colours aren't the same Margaret.

View Gallery

Shirley I have checked out my line style window and the line thickness was is set to 0 and no tick in the box so the print cut lines are turned off.

View Gallery

Shirley I have checked out my line style window and the line thickness was is set to 0 and no tick in the box so the print cut lines are turned off.
    I am a bit stumped then Neries- what happens if you give the cut lines no colour ?

Line style.jpg

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    I am a bit stumped then Neries- what happens if you give the cut lines no colour ?

Line style.jpg
    Thanks Shirley, that sound a good idea. Just tried it and still the cut lines show as grey. I will trying printing a test piece later.

The problem is making four files one to save on card. The decoupage flowers are on one sheet of card which is such a waste. It was a case of grouping then copying and pasting exactly the svg file onto the same file as the flower file.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Thanks Shirley, that sound a good idea. Just tried it and still the cut lines show as grey. I will trying printing a test piece later.

The problem is making four files one to save on card. The decoupage flowers are on one sheet of card which is such a waste. It was a case of grouping then copying and pasting exactly the svg file onto the same file as the flower file.
    I suppose if all else fails, once you have the file set up with registration marks you could group all the cut lines together then delete the cut lines, send to print then paste back in place.

View Gallery

Shirley that is a good idea for any future ones I use.

I have to place the SVG cuts on top of the flowers by lining up the black rectangle lines as the print bleed is so big. Then keep in place by grouping when using the knife to separate the pieces. I won't be buying any more of the Tattered Lace USBs with charisma prints.

View Gallery

I have purchased a USB SVG fob, but was not impressed with the colours either. However, when it came to print and cut I removed the cut lines then I performed a trace. I did wonder if the printed cut lines would show, if they are cut lines and the line is very fine.

I think these SVG files are made for the Brother and have never been tested on any other cutting machines.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by EileenSatchell View Post
    I have purchased a USB SVG fob, but was not impressed with the colours either. However, when it came to print and cut I removed the cut lines then I performed a trace. I did wonder if the printed cut lines would show, if they are cut lines and the line is very fine.

I think these SVG files are made for the Brother and have never been tested on any other cutting machines.
    I agree Eileen, made for the Brother but advertised for any machine which uses SVG files. A trace on the flowers would not work as there is a print bleed on the main element and a much larger one on the smaller elements. I did try to do it but without success.

View Gallery

I originally posted this method on the Tattered Lace Facebook page, to re-combine the image and SVG files; hence there are no screen shots.

To use Charisma with a Silhouette Cameo/Portrait/Craft ROBO and the Silhouette Studio software (it must be a version that reads SVG files), the Charisma Image and Cutting lines files must be merged/reunited back together. These steps may appear involved, but this is due to Charisma Image and Cutting Lines files being separated for use with the ScanNCuts.

1. Open the SVG cutting file (File -> Open), or drag and drop the file on to the mat.
    2. Select ‘All’ the Cutting Lines, and group them.
    3. From the Line Colour window, change the line colour to say yellow.
    4. From the ‘Cut Settings’ window, change the ‘Cut Style’ to ‘Cut Edge’.
    5. From the ‘Line Style’ window, change the Line Thickness to 0.0 (zero). If you do not, then the cut lines will be printed on top of the Charisma image.
    6. Move the grouped Cutting Lines off the mat.
    7. From the ‘Design Page Settings’, in the Cutting Mat section, set the Reveal to above 50%. This is so you can see what’s been erased with the ‘Eraser Tool’ in a later step.
    8. Add the Charisma Image file (either PDF/JPEG/PNG) with File -> Merge or drag and drop the file. For a PDF file, select ‘Import as Image’, make sure that the DPI is 72dpi, and then click ‘Import’.
    9. With the Charisma Image selected, send it backward (Object -> Arrange -> Send Backward).
    10. Select the Cutting Lines, and then drag/move them over the Charisma Image, and align the Cutting Lines rectangle on top of the Charisma Image rectangle. You may have to re-scale the Cutting Lines. Use the Object -> Move window (or the Transform on later versions), to move the Cutting Lines rectangle a precise amount. You may have to turn the ‘Snap to Grid’ option off.
    11. Select ‘All’, and group both the Cutting Lines and Charisma Image.
    12. Select the ‘Eraser Tool’, and erase the rectangles and anything else unwanted near to the rectangle, so just the Charisma Image and Cutting Lines remain.
    13. You can also separate 2 or more Charisma Images using the ‘Eraser Tool’, so they can be manipulated individually.
    14. Enable the Registration marks from the menu Silhouette -> Registration Marks, and selecting the ‘Style Type’. Make sure the Images are inside the Registration Marks.
    15. Print the Charisma to the selected printer with the Registration Marks.
    16. Place the printed media on the mat, and load the mat into the Cameo/Portrait/Craft ROBO.
    17. Click on ‘Send to Silhouette’ (or whatever cutter is connected), adjust the ‘Cut Settings’, and then click the ‘Start’ button.
    18. Save the project to disk. You can’t save the project to the Tattered Lace USB, since it has been write protected.

Ian
    Ian Wadsworth MEng (Software Engineering)

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    I originally posted this method on the Tattered Lace Facebook page, to re-combine the image and SVG files; hence there are no screen shots.

To use Charisma with a Silhouette Cameo/Portrait/Craft ROBO and the Silhouette Studio software (it must be a version that reads SVG files), the Charisma Image and Cutting lines files must be merged/reunited back together. These steps may appear involved, but this is due to Charisma Image and Cutting Lines files being separated for use with the ScanNCuts.

1. Open the SVG cutting file (File -> Open), or drag and drop the file on to the mat.
    2. Select ‘All’ the Cutting Lines, and group them.
    3. From the Line Colour window, change the line colour to say yellow.
    4. From the ‘Cut Settings’ window, change the ‘Cut Style’ to ‘Cut Edge’.
    5. From the ‘Line Style’ window, change the Line Thickness to 0.0 (zero). If you do not, then the cut lines will be printed on top of the Charisma image.
    6. Move the grouped Cutting Lines off the mat.
    7. From the ‘Design Page Settings’, in the Cutting Mat section, set the Reveal to above 50%. This is so you can see what’s been erased with the ‘Eraser Tool’ in a later step.
    8. Add the Charisma Image file (either PDF/JPEG/PNG) with File -> Merge or drag and drop the file. For a PDF file, select ‘Import as Image’, make sure that the DPI is 72dpi, and then click ‘Import’.
    9. With the Charisma Image selected, send it backward (Object -> Arrange -> Send Backward).
    10. Select the Cutting Lines, and then drag/move them over the Charisma Image, and align the Cutting Lines rectangle on top of the Charisma Image rectangle. You may have to re-scale the Cutting Lines. Use the Object -> Move window (or the Transform on later versions), to move the Cutting Lines rectangle a precise amount. You may have to turn the ‘Snap to Grid’ option off.
    11. Select ‘All’, and group both the Cutting Lines and Charisma Image.
    12. Select the ‘Eraser Tool’, and erase the rectangles and anything else unwanted near to the rectangle, so just the Charisma Image and Cutting Lines remain.
    13. You can also separate 2 or more Charisma Images using the ‘Eraser Tool’, so they can be manipulated individually.
    14. Enable the Registration marks from the menu Silhouette -> Registration Marks, and selecting the ‘Style Type’. Make sure the Images are inside the Registration Marks.
    15. Print the Charisma to the selected printer with the Registration Marks.
    16. Place the printed media on the mat, and load the mat into the Cameo/Portrait/Craft ROBO.
    17. Click on ‘Send to Silhouette’ (or whatever cutter is connected), adjust the ‘Cut Settings’, and then click the ‘Start’ button.
    18. Save the project to disk. You can’t save the project to the Tattered Lace USB, since it has been write protected.

Ian
    Thanks Ian, I will save your instructions and try your way next time I want to use one of the images. I always download the USB's to my p.c. so have added a file with your instructions to the Decoupage Delights folder.
    Last edited by Neries; 01-10-2020 at 05:02 PM.

View Gallery

What about doing an inset cut line, would that take care of some of the bleed?
    Maureen