Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: Memory Journal

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (23)

Memory Journal

Hi friends,

I'm in need of inspiration - and where better to turn.

I want to make a grandparents memory journal - using question prompts I have downloaded from the net. I have made the cover and have plenty of pages inside ready for me to start answering questions I pick at random.

What I am looking for are some ideas of how to "jazz it up" a bit - rather than just lines of questions and answers. And also what to put at the front to "explain" what the journal is.

I've found plenty of questions to use - what I need are images of pages/books done by others to give me some tips and ideas on layouts and embellishments etc.

Can anyone tell me what to search for?

Thanking you in advance.
    Tracey
    Tracey x
    www.bristolandwalescatrescue.com
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&id=716698092
    "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana" Groucho Marx

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    You could do worse than look at the galleries of members who have produced some excellent family history related LOs. tigerlady and eClaire spring to mind.
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Have you got many old photos either of them or places they lived, family etc? You could do a layout on one page then opposite it ask questions to prompt them?
    EG A photo of a each as a child then opposite - where were you born, what was your school like, did you enjoy school, favourite subject, best friend, favourite toy.
    What you want to find out is not the stuff they tell in regular stories but the things that make you go "Wow" I would never have guessed." I found out about Mum's evacuation a few months before she died and managed to find pictures of the house she was evacuated to and the 1939 census record for that family. Mum was amazed and it gave me an insight into her wartime experiences.

For her 90th birthday I made a "This is Your Life" type of book compiled of layouts and stories throughout her life. I am very fortunate that my family have been keen photographers since 1865 so have plenty of material!

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

Love to scrap but need more time!! eClaire's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Hi Tracey - I do a lot of heritage LOs (G61 - thanks for thinking of me) and a lot of these are using words from a book that my parents wrote for my children where they wrote down their memories of growing up in the war. This has made the journaling very personal for my girls and there are so many stories they remember even now that they are grown up. I have also done LOs about special objects in their home, that I and my girls remember, here are some examples:

When the bombs came - WW2 National Service

More WW2 memories
    A page using a real buckle from a wedding dress

and some pretty ones with less journaling

Lots more examples throughout my and other galleries in UKS - The book is a lovely idea, I hope you can get started
    eClaire - a scrappy cat and a green button