Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Update

Well I spent the weekend cutting plastic file dividers to see if I could make my own stencils. It cut well, but I planned on sticking a minimum of two copies together to produce a thicker piece, this is where it didn’t go well! I had cut a delicate design, but it didn’t have a frame so was not easy to match up and stick together. However, decided to try it out anyway. Here is where the senior moment decided to join my experiment. I put it through the embossing machine, but the plastic had all wrinkled and was completely ruined. It was then I realised I had use the magnetic shim and NOT the embossing mat 😫.

Not one to give up I cut another design, but with a solid border to make it easier to join them together. So I now have four copies stuck together and ready to try again with the embossing mat and nothing not even a slight imprint. So added a further copy of the design and two pieces of card as an added shim, still nothing.

So needless to say I am not sure this idea is going work, but it was fun trying. Will have to try some stencil material and try it again.

I hope you all have a happy day crafting.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by EileenSatchell View Post
    Well I spent the weekend cutting plastic file dividers to see if I could make my own stencils. It cut well, but I planned on sticking a minimum of two copies together to produce a thicker piece, this is where it didn’t go well! I had cut a delicate design, but it didn’t have a frame so was not easy to match up and stick together. However, decided to try it out anyway. Here is where the senior moment decided to join my experiment. I put it through the embossing machine, but the plastic had all wrinkled and was completely ruined. It was then I realised I had use the magnetic shim and NOT the embossing mat ��.

Not one to give up I cut another design, but with a solid border to make it easier to join them together. So I now have four copies stuck together and ready to try again with the embossing mat and nothing not even a slight imprint. So added a further copy of the design and two pieces of card as an added shim, still nothing.

So needless to say I am not sure this idea is going work, but it was fun trying. Will have to try some stencil material and try it again.

I hope you all have a happy day crafting.
    That's a shame after all your effort Eileen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Oh dear Eileen, not going well for you. I used Milar sheets when I made mine with my original Cameo. Ok embossing was not as sharp as embossing folders but the same as using commercial stencils. A thick embossing mat makes a difference, also remembering the correct order of the sandwich.

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Shame it didn't come out so well Eileen. I've seen posts in various places of people having success with using card rather than plastic by sticking together several layers depending on the thickness of the card used - no idea if it works though as I have never tried it

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Shame it didn't come out so well Eileen. I've seen posts in various places of people having success with using card rather than plastic by sticking together several layers depending on the thickness of the card used - no idea if it works though as I have never tried it
    That sounds a much better idea Shirley, I may try it out at a later date. I think I may have accept it would be better to buy embossing folders.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    Oh dear Eileen, not going well for you. I used Milar sheets when I made mine with my original Cameo. Ok embossing was not as sharp as embossing folders but the same as using commercial stencils. A thick embossing mat makes a difference, also remembering the correct order of the sandwich.
    I think it might be better to purchase embossing folders to achieve a deep embossing effect I am looking to achieve.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Did you lightly spritz your card with water before putting it through Eileen? I have seen several people do that and it seems to help in getting a better impression. It might be worth a try before abandoning your idea. Also, it could be the cardstock, have you tried different makes and weights to see if that helps?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What a shame it didn't work Eileen especially as it must have taken up quite a lot of time. I seem to remember trying something similar using several layers of card glued together. It did work but the impression was nowhere near as good as an embossing folder - that was what inspired me to buy the curio, which was even more disappointing.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

photos made embossing plates

I have had better results using 8 layers of cardstock paper, all cut separately of course. Adhere layers together using a glue stick so as not to have too much glue between layers.
    Throughly dry for 24 hours. Sprits new sheet lightly with water before trying to emboss. Use rubber matt.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Petrina

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by pkcase View Post
    I have had better results using 8 layers of cardstock paper, all cut separately of course. Adhere layers together using a glue stick so as not to have too much glue between layers.
    Throughly dry for 24 hours. Sprits new sheet lightly with water before trying to emboss. Use rubber matt.
    That looks wonderful Petrina, I will certainly try this, may I ask what GSM card did you use? Thank you so much for this tip.

View Gallery

EileenSatchell, thank you.
    To create the 8 layers I cut them all out of 200gsm cardstock paper before gluing together.

Embossing paper:
    I used a variety of paper I had in my inventory 200gsm cardstock, also 65# fine letter writing paper and regular 20# letter paper.
    Petrina

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Wow they're lovely Petrina

View Gallery

Thank you Doreen.
    My art has improved over the years thanks to the encouragement received here. I am forever grateful.
    Petrina

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

These look wonderful Petrina - it must have taken a lot of time and patience to glue 8 layers together and to get them exactly positioned. The results are so impressive
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Great results, you are more patient than me Petrina !!