Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Thread: Verticle Text

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Verticle Text

Think I must be losing my marbles. I want to do vertical text down the sides of a card and I'm sure I've done this in the past but can't find anything under Help or in the manual except using TextEdit, whatever that is. Can't find such a thing on my current version.4.2.279 de, only Text Style. I don't do much crafting these days so I'm rusty but also now thoroughly frustrated. Do I just type each letter followed by Return and adjust the gaps through Line Spacing? I'm sure there was a way of the machine doing that automatically. Please tell me I'm not going crazy.
    Shirley

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Hi Shirley. Glad I'm not the only one who is "marble impaired". I do vertical text in the easiest way I know. Type the text horizontally and, when it is all done, you should end up with the text in a green box with a line on the right hand side. Hover over that line and push to the left and the text should start to bunch up and realign into vertical mode. Use the justify boxes to line it up and the line spacing and character spacing to get it the way you want it. There are plenty of YT tutorials out there which will give you a nice visual demo of what to do. Hope you get on okay, I'm off to melt quietly in the corner. You can also do vertical text on its side by hitting the letter A on it's side to the right of the justify boxes.

Cheers
    Andi

View Gallery

Thank you so much Andi, it all comes back to me now! Unfortunately it doesn't quite work for me at the moment because I've used a script font and some of the letters are joined to each other, however I'm sure it will work when I've changed the font. I think I need a refresher course as I seem to be at the age where I need to do things regularly to keep them in mind. Thanks also for the tip about Y.T. it didn't occur to me to look there. I tried the alternative A but I don't want to have to turn the card around to be able to read it. I still don't understand how to find the 'TextEdit' panel the manual mentions, maybe it's in a higher version than Designer.
    Thanks again, Shirley

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BowBow View Post
    I still don't understand how to find the 'TextEdit' panel the manual mentions, maybe it's in a higher version than Designer.
    Thanks again, Shirley
    Glad I was able to point you towards your goal Shirley. It seems that Text Exit is achieved when the text isn't bounded by the green box - you double click the text and it brings up the box and the adjustment line; so if you think you have finished with the text, and then find you need to do something else, that is how you make the text "live" again so you can make more adjustments etc. I found some info on Silhouette 101 and I think it is okay to put the link in as it is part of Silhouette https://www.silhouette101.com/archiv...ion-and-higher (if it's not okay Doreen will make short work of it!!!)

Good luck
    Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Glad I was able to point you towards your goal Shirley. It seems that Text Exit is achieved when the text isn't bounded by the green box - you double click the text and it brings up the box and the adjustment line; so if you think you have finished with the text, and then find you need to do something else, that is how you make the text "live" again so you can make more adjustments etc. I found some info on Silhouette 101 and I think it is okay to put the link in as it is part of Silhouette https://www.silhouette101.com/archiv...ion-and-higher (if it's not okay Doreen will make short work of it!!!)

Good luck
    Andi
    That's fine Andi as there aren't any links to selling websites

View Gallery

Thank you Andi for posting that link, I learned a couple of things I didn't know and there were a couple of other useful links in the Comments below the tutorial. I eventually had to do one letter at a time then return because it wouldn't squeeze far enough to get down to single letters but I got there in the end and it acted as a bit of a refresher. Also I don't normally look on You Tube for help but it's a positive mine of information so thank you again. Now could you please provide some extra hours in each day so that I can absorb it all!
    Shirley