Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neries View Post
    I have also read online that the A adapter for the Foil Quill does not fit.
    Andi if (and a very big if) I was to buy a Cameo 4 I would go direct to Graphtec rather than Hochanda. Same price for the basic machine and free p&p.
    I wouldn't go to Hochanda Neries, I have only ever shopped with them once and that was several years ago. I would go to Graphtec, Brian is so helpful as are the rest of the staff and their warranty would be worth it. That is a bit bad about the FQ adapter not fitting. More stuff is coming along to say to me hang fire and see if things are adapted/adjusted/amended as the machines become more available. FQ adapters may be added because WRmk won't want to miss out.

Andi

View Gallery

I agree with you Andi about social media, a source of evil as far as I can see. Not that I have any personal experience for when i thought of joining a few years ago I was horrified by the amount of information they wanted in order to open an account so declined to proceed. Sadly , as you say, it means missing out on a lot of interesting craft related stuff. I can't even go on Pinterest now because I won't answer all their questions. I have nothing to hide but I abhor this trend for gathering information especially as it benefits them rather than me!
    Shirley

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thanks ladies, it might have been interesting to see the matless cutting. I know you can cut card using it but it leaves little perforated areas on the design to keep them from falling in to the machine which you then have to push out so was just wondering if that left rough areas if you know what I mean. Neries I have seen somewhere that the C adapter for the foil quill will fit the C4.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Thanks ladies, it might have been interesting to see the matless cutting. I know you can cut card using it but it leaves little perforated areas on the design to keep them from falling in to the machine which you then have to push out so was just wondering if that left rough areas if you know what I mean. Neries I have seen somewhere that the C adapter for the foil quill will fit the C4.
    Yes, Shirley, I think Lisa mentioned that it left things attached by "a little tag" or "little tags" (can't remember if one or several) so sounds a bit like a pop out die cut I guess. If you wanted a peek, last year's Silhouette Summit is on YouTube - if you have heard of an American crafter called Ken who has a blog, he also has a YT channel and he went and filmed the new machines - the video pretty much starts with matless cutting using card and felt. It is quite long but you don't need to stay with it if you don't have time/don't want to... all the Wow's and Oh my gosh's became a bit boring Sorry I can't link it but a search ought to bring it up relatively easily (or pm me for a link), and information is key at this stage. A few people have already dived in and taken delivery of a machine so I guess unboxings and demos will start to appear soon. The software issue has been a bit of a mare for some but Silhouette isn't the only one that has had probs with software it seems, and what works with no issues on one computer can get snagged by clashes with other installed programmes on others and cause issues which probably aren't easy for the software engineers to solve. I really do think I will hang on for a while and let others pull their hair out whilst they do the debugging. My only concern is if I do decide a 3 will be better for me and they have all gone by the time I make my mind up - at least all the glitches have been sorted with a 3. The FQ solution you mentioned sounds good.

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    Yes, Shirley, I think Lisa mentioned that it left things attached by "a little tag" or "little tags" (can't remember if one or several) so sounds a bit like a pop out die cut I guess. If you wanted a peek, last year's Silhouette Summit is on YouTube - if you have heard of an American crafter called Ken who has a blog, he also has a YT channel and he went and filmed the new machines - the video pretty much starts with matless cutting using card and felt. It is quite long but you don't need to stay with it if you don't have time/don't want to... all the Wow's and Oh my gosh's became a bit boring Sorry I can't link it but a search ought to bring it up relatively easily (or pm me for a link), and information is key at this stage. A few people have already dived in and taken delivery of a machine so I guess unboxings and demos will start to appear soon. The software issue has been a bit of a mare for some but Silhouette isn't the only one that has had probs with software it seems, and what works with no issues on one computer can get snagged by clashes with other installed programmes on others and cause issues which probably aren't easy for the software engineers to solve. I really do think I will hang on for a while and let others pull their hair out whilst they do the debugging. My only concern is if I do decide a 3 will be better for me and they have all gone by the time I make my mind up - at least all the glitches have been sorted with a 3. The FQ solution you mentioned sounds good.

Andi
    You can add the Youtube link Andi as it's to so with the Cameo. I've seen it (and maybe even added the link I can't remember now ).

View Gallery

Thanks Andi I found the video and also came across something about it by Melissa on the Silhouette School Blog from back in June which actually shows close ups of the cut out items if you want to take a look. Quite a few US members of the closed Beta Group which includes Melissa had the C4 pre release and most of them seem happy with the machine and hopefully their input is helping sort out the problems but I think you are right that what works well on one computer gives problems on another. I feel for the software developers as at the moment for as well as making the software workable with the C4 they are having to do the same for the Graphtec CE-Lite-50 which can now use Silhouette Studio and also Apple have released an update to the Mac operating system so they have had to deal with that too. I have just read in the beta group that the current software isn't quite ready for the rotary and kraft blade - something to do with algorithms to orient the blade to make nice clean cuts but they are confident that will be sorted by the time the blades are commercially available. As I said before I am very happy my C3 and have never had a problem with it. I love the autoblade although I know others have issues but it often turns out to be user error for example not locking the blade in properly. I'm sure there will still be plenty of C3s around probaby at good prices too should you decide to go for one.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Well that was an interesting read and very much supports what we are finding out by trial and error. I went from a cameo 1 to a 3 in July only because the butterfly clip holding the blade finally gave up the ghost and no amount of tape would hold it in place. The strange thing i found was that materials I was cutting with one pass and less force in the 1 needed two passes and greater force in the 3. After going back and forth with various versions of the software to stop my machine suddenly increasing the cutting force and gouging pieces out of the mat I debricked the firmware and went back to a legacy version. All seemed well so i presumed debricking the firmware had made it feel like a plotter again and less like a blender. I have gone back to the .273 and am about to download the 307 as i hear that helps a lot with pixscan ( which i don't use a lot but just to be sure). yes we heard from Silhouette that there was a compatibility problem for 64 bit scanners so that explains some things. What we also learned is that they have had some problems with the autoblade 4 as people were finding that during cutting the blade was actually flexing! I also think that they could have waited to add the C50 lite to the mixture and get the software for the basic 4 right first. Another problem they acknowledged due to sudden force increases was the mat unscrewing itself and starting to skew - It's happened to me with the 3 where the roller has actually unblocked itself and mat has started to go walk about - most disconcerting, especially if the 4 is supposed to have 5kg of cutting force. The latest software is geared towards the Cameo 4 but at the same time has to be compatible to the other cameos and it's causing such a hassle . If you look at the joining dates on these posts we are all 'seasoned users' and for the most part have been digging ourselves out of software holes and machine errors for a long time so know where to go, who to call and mostly how to sort ourselves out but I feel sorry for those users who, attracted by the pubblicity are now seriously weighing up the cameo 4. I agree that it does seem to be geared towards vinyl users - if they managed to make a collapsible roll feeder why couldn't they give us a pull out drawer that we could change for a feeder if we wanted. Personally I'd prefer more tool storage with bigger mat supports. My business is cards and boxes orientated so hardly ever use vinyl . I think that the overall intentions are good but we've yet to see what the machine can really and honestly accomplish - true that if you want to sell a machine you're not going to cut a piece of paper lace in front of the cameras !! Upwards and onwards ..I feel they'll get there in the end but feel sorry for the software developers who were rushed into a hasty launch. In fact on the Silhouette site they say that ' due to an unexpected increase (!!!) in the amount of mail they will take a little longer to answer any queries'.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BowBow View Post
    I agree with you Andi about social media, a source of evil as far as I can see. Not that I have any personal experience for when i thought of joining a few years ago I was horrified by the amount of information they wanted in order to open an account so declined to proceed. Sadly , as you say, it means missing out on a lot of interesting craft related stuff. I can't even go on Pinterest now because I won't answer all their questions. I have nothing to hide but I abhor this trend for gathering information especially as it benefits them rather than me!
    Shirley
    Totally agree. I avoid social media like the plague as much as possible . Pity about some craft sites but I never join groups and much preferred this sort of forum. Years ago I had a Facebook acount as it was the only way to keep in touch with family around the world. I once sent a private message to my cousin asking for my aunt's telephone number and it showed up a search I did for something else !!! Never been back since - if I need to say something I'll phone or watts app which I suspect is just as bad. We are constantly tracked even when we go to the supermarket. Big Brother is certainly keeping tabs on us , and if you try to close an account or use ad blockers life is made very diffcult.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Thanks Andi I found the video and also came across something about it by Melissa on the Silhouette School Blog from back in June which actually shows close ups of the cut out items if you want to take a look. Quite a few US members of the closed Beta Group which includes Melissa had the C4 pre release and most of them seem happy with the machine and hopefully their input is helping sort out the problems but I think you are right that what works well on one computer gives problems on another. I feel for the software developers as at the moment for as well as making the software workable with the C4 they are having to do the same for the Graphtec CE-Lite-50 which can now use Silhouette Studio and also Apple have released an update to the Mac operating system so they have had to deal with that too. I have just read in the beta group that the current software isn't quite ready for the rotary and kraft blade - something to do with algorithms to orient the blade to make nice clean cuts but they are confident that will be sorted by the time the blades are commercially available. As I said before I am very happy my C3 and have never had a problem with it. I love the autoblade although I know others have issues but it often turns out to be user error for example not locking the blade in properly. I'm sure there will still be plenty of C3s around probaby at good prices too should you decide to go for one.
    As far as matless cutting goes - i suppose you could do the same thing on any machine if you just use the eraser or knife to erase or cut bits away from the outside cutting lines - a bit like a random and very far between perforate. I personally don't fancy the idea of having to sand off the blips just to say I can do matless cutting but I'm sure there must be a use for it some where otherwise they'd never have spent valuable money developing it.
    Talking blades. what is the punch tool supposed do exactly? They talk about weeding so I suppose it's aimed at vinyl users. Has the Kraft blade for the Cameo 3 come out in the UK yet?

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by susibi View Post
    As far as matless cutting goes - i suppose you could do the same thing on any machine if you just use the eraser or knife to erase or cut bits away from the outside cutting lines - a bit like a random and very far between perforate. I personally don't fancy the idea of having to sand off the blips just to say I can do matless cutting but I'm sure there must be a use for it some where otherwise they'd never have spent valuable money developing it.
    Talking blades. what is the punch tool supposed do exactly? They talk about weeding so I suppose it's aimed at vinyl users. Has the Kraft blade for the Cameo 3 come out in the UK yet?
    Found this for the punch tool - "With the Punch Tool for Cameo 4, you can have the Cameo 4 create weeding points for your vinyl and heat transfer projects. When you insert the Punch Tool into the Cameo 4, the software will prompt you to choose whether you want to weed the negative space (like for a vinyl decal) or the positive space (like for a stencil). Your Punch Tool (Cameo 4) will then go and create weeding points to make weeding vinyl or heat transfer easier and faster."
    I actually wasn't aware that there was a Kraft blade for the C3, thought it was just ffor the C4 so can't help there - maybe someone else will know..

Not mad keen about the matless cutting either but was just curious to see it in action. In the Closed Beta testing Group those who have the C4 have mentioned that the terminology surrounding "matless" cutting may be confusing as cutting with no mat is used for a kiss cut and is an option all Silhouette cutting machines whereas true matless cutting" is cutting completely through the material and is reserved for the Cameo 4. I'm sure when you are actually using a C4 it comes more obvious !!
    Last edited by Shirley Anne; 21-10-2019 at 12:56 PM.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by susibi View Post
    The weeding tool (and it also seems to be called the punch tool, so perhaps I have made up the name "weeding tool" ) apparently makes little holes at the edge of the design, I think, and again is mainly for vinyl, which can be quite difficult to weed once it is cut (Someone correct me if I'm wrong here). All the additional blades that are currently being mentioned, e.g Kraft, Punch, Rotary are all additional purchases and seem as thought they are going to be at least a tenner each, based on prices I have seen in USD. The Cameo4 you get only comes with the one blade so at the moment cannot even fulfill it's full potential until those other blades become available, which seems to be November at the earliest. That is truly disappointing I think, since they are all made to fit in carriage 2, which has the greater downforce, and the blade that comes with it is made for carriage 1 only so you can't test out any of the new features really. A truly rushed job bearing in mind there have been cutters out there for ages with tried and tested 4kg cutting force. Once the other blades become available I can see some of the shopping channels offering deals to include at least one other blade in the initial purchase - the deal on Hochanda was a bit weak IMO, the cutter with a roll of vinyl, a sample pack of different vinyls and a tool kit; if I'd been ready to go I don't think it would have tempted me.

Andi