Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

cutting using old replaceable blades

I found, by chance, that I could cut using an old cutting housing, (the kind that uses the red, yellow, and blue caps) with NO coloured cap on, and it cut the card nice and clean, but didn't wreck the cutting mat, but the blade setting was still on the ratchet, interesting.
    Anyone else tried or found this?
    Grace
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I haven't used those for a very long time Grace in fact I don't think I have any now

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    OOOOH! I have never thought of doing this. I have an old ROBO - much loved, much used - which is still running just fine for my purposes. I did sand down a spare coloured cap many moons ago and I have used that on occasions but I might just give this a try as well. As they say "you don't know till you give it a go". You never know, it wont affect the warranty that's for sure! And one day soon Graphtec might just be interested in my machine for their museum!!!!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I haven't used those for a very long time Grace in fact I don't think I have any now
    I have at least 6 old kind of blades, they may not all be new, but, incentive to check them out

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by yiayia View Post
    OOOOH! I have never thought of doing this. I have an old ROBO - much loved, much used - which is still running just fine for my purposes. I did sand down a spare coloured cap many moons ago and I have used that on occasions but I might just give this a try as well. As they say "you don't know till you give it a go". You never know, it wont affect the warranty that's for sure! And one day soon Graphtec might just be interested in my machine for their museum!!!!
    the old Robo was what I started with,wonderful machine, hope it works for you.
    Grace

View Gallery

I use the old housings when I run out of Cameo blades. When I do, I always use with the cap, red, blue or yellow on. The next time I need to, I will try cutting with the cap off. Thanks for sharing. What pressure & settings do you cut at when you leave the cap off?
    Petrina

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by pkcase View Post
    I use the old housings when I run out of Cameo blades. When I do, I always use with the cap, red, blue or yellow on. The next time I need to, I will try cutting with the cap off. Thanks for sharing. What pressure & settings do you cut at when you leave the cap off?
    I didn't seem to be able to change from the ratchet to the old blade, so I just used the basic setting for the card I was using, as if it was a ratchet blade that was in the machine, since my first post I've used it again, and again all was well, I was cutting out letters, so there was plenty of movement, my cutting mat is pretty well worn, but I could not see any new deep cut marks, I hope it works okay for you as well Petrina.
    Grace

View Gallery

Please be careful using the old blades with no caps. If you get the force setting wrong it is a very quick way to snap the blade tip and stall the machine.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    Please be careful using the old blades with no caps. If you get the force setting wrong it is a very quick way to snap the blade tip and stall the machine.

Thank you Brian, for your words of warning, your advice and input are always very welcome

View Gallery

Thank you CattyGracie and BrianP.
    I am thankful for the great things I learn here.
    Petrina

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by pkcase View Post
    Thank you CattyGracie and BrianP.
    I am thankful for the great things I learn here.
    And me, it is a wealth of information here
    Grace