Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    I have recently been completely unable to cut as the machine.... Silhouette Cameo1 Designer... shows as being unconnected.

Going through the troubleshoot, I found under devices that the USB support was showing that the PnP driver code 10 was at fault.
    That's sounds a bit knowledgeable but I haven't a clue really.
    Has anyone else had this fault ? If so, what to do?
    Silhouette America are being rather slow to respond.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried a different USB cable (incorrectly referred to as a USB printer lead) and in a different USB port? The blue coloured USB ports are USB 3.0 (which also supports USB 2.0 and USB 1.0).

In the Device Manger, does it say ‘Unknown Device’ (with the machine turned on it should say ‘USB Printing Support’)? See the section “Testing Hardware Connection” https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/pr...not-connect-pc

I’ve tried a Silhouette Portrait on Windows 10 1903, in a USB 3.0 port, and with Silhouette Studio V4.2.471, and not surprisingly it worked okay. The statement says ‘from the 1st August’, and that release and the latest Beta release are before that date.

The statement from Silhouette America is confusing. Those machines listed act like they are a USB printer, and uses Microsoft’s default USB Printing Support Driver (the version loaded with my Portrait plugged in is from 2006)!

USB 1.0 can be classed as a low speed (1.5 Mbit/s) or full speed (12 Mbit/s), depending on what device is connected. USB printers, USB keyboards, and USB mice, and others are all USB 1.0 devices. Microsoft is NOT going to stop supporting USB 1.0 anytime soon!

Is it just a coincidence that the new Silhouette Cameo 4 is about to be released?

Ian
    Ian Wadsworth MEng (Software Engineering)

View Gallery

I've been looking in to this problem for the last few days and it only seems to affect certain USB chipset & device combinations. I can use a Cameo 1 & Portrait 1 without a problem on my PC with Windows 10 v1903 but my colleague cannot, the devices show with an error in device manager. It seems to be an issue with how Windows is allocating resources on device startup, and if you keep reconnecting the USB it will sometimes work but only very rarely.

Weirdly, I actually got the Cameo 1 to connect again by using a USB 3.0 Hub (this Hub specifically but other types of hub may work too). If I plug the Cameo in to the Hub it works, if I plug the Cameo directly in to the PC, it doesn't. I can't say for sure if using a hub would work for everyone but two other users I've been in communication with have also purchased this hub, and it worked for them too, so there is some hope for a workaround at least. I thought I'd share this info in case others wanted to try it.

It's a very strange situation and I am hoping Microsoft can release an update to resolve this.
    Last edited by BrianP; 16-09-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Just got back having given up. I can still use an old laptop but it isn't the same!

Meantime the havoc seems to be spreading.

Shall explore the Hub solution.

Thank you to everyone who has replied.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hooraaah!

Thank you so much BrianP. I bought that splitter and it sorted the problem. I have my Cameo back.

I should have thought that solution was totally counterintuitive and have no idea how you got there. However got there you did and I am so grateful.

many thanks

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Be aware that Silhouette have brought out a way of circumventing the issue. Check Silhouette America.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Be aware that Silhouette have brought out a way of circumventing the issue. Check Silhouette America.
    Just replied on your other post

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    I've been looking in to this problem for the last few days and it only seems to affect certain USB chipset & device combinations. I can use a Cameo 1 & Portrait 1 without a problem on my PC with Windows 10 v1903 but my colleague cannot, the devices show with an error in device manager. It seems to be an issue with how Windows is allocating resources on device startup, and if you keep reconnecting the USB it will sometimes work but only very rarely.
    Were these tested using USB 2 or 3 ports?

The computers that failed to connect to earlier machines, do the later machines work okay?

On a Windows 7 machine, I had problem with some USB devices not working. When they were plugged into a USB hub, they worked! I’m not too sure if it was a hardware/connectors issue, or something else.

I was using an experimentally USB device (I can’t remember what it was, or what it), and it worked okay with an USB extension lead, but not without the extension lead!

A hardware USB port analyser, and/or software USB Port analyser software, can be used to see what happens when the USB machine is first plugged in.

Regarding the firmware update https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/fa...Oez8xtysRikyfQ
    If it’s a Windows 10 problem, why update the firmware? The Silhouette machines cannot detect what Operating System is being used, so what would happen if the firmware updated machines were connected to non-Windows 10 machines or previous Windows 10 machines (before release 1809)?

What exactly have the Graphtec engineers changed in the firmware?

Ian

View Gallery

The link on the firmware update says it from Silhouette America

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

As Doreen says the update was released by Silhouette America and they work with the firmware developers who are actually in Japan.

View Gallery

Silhouette America is a subsidiary of Graphtec Corporation in Japan http://www.graphteccorp.com/contact/headquarters.html

Many years ago, I had a conversion with Neil Roberts (then the National Account Manager) of Graphtec GB, and he mentioned that the engineering division of Graphtec developed/produced the Silhouette/Craft ROBO craft cutters (Graphtec also produce vinyl cutters for industry use).

It doesn’t really matter who made the changes, it’s more important as what they were, in relation to the ‘Windows 10’ USB problem, and if there could be problems if used with other Operating Systems.

Ian

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
    It doesn’t really matter who made the changes, it’s more important as what they were, in relation to the ‘Windows 10’ USB problem, and if there could be problems if used with other Operating Systems.

Ian
    No changelog has been given but considering the Cameo 2 (and newer) machines don't suffer from this problem, it would be fairly safe to assume that whatever firmware changes were made over the years that prevented the newer machines from having this issue, has been back ported to the older machines firmware. Also, as Cameo 2 (and newer) machines don't have problems with other OSs, there is nothing to suggest the Cameo 1 with new firmware would. In fact, I've tested a Cameo 1 with this latest firmware on Windows 7, and I even fired up an old Windows XP machine running Studio v2.4, and it worked fine on both.
    Last edited by BrianP; 24-09-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

View Gallery

The newer machines may have newer/different micro-controllers, with different USB hardware, and a different USB stack/library. Any firmware releases would usually be decided by senior company executives (they were when I worked in the digital set-top box industry as a software engineer), who would want to know exactly what the changes made were, the size (lines of code) of the changes, and any possible risks that the changes would have.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    In fact, I've tested a Cameo 1 with this latest firmware on Windows 7, and I even fired up an old Windows XP machine running Studio v2.4, and it worked fine on both.
    It’s good that you’ve tested the new firmware with different operating systems Brian .

Ian

View Gallery

Hello, I see this thread is an old one, but I discovered it when I was googling for a vinyl cutter. I'm an elementary school teacher and we have to buy a cutting machine so I was just wondering which model is better. I read already that Cricut and Roland are fine, but on review websites there is no roland at all, and a friend of mine told me she was advised cricut, too, and regret after. So please, if someone will read this thread and have experience of work with vinyl cutters, let me know

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SweetVinegar View Post
    Hello, I see this thread is an old one, but I discovered it when I was googling for a vinyl cutter. I'm an elementary school teacher and we have to buy a cutting machine so I was just wondering which model is better. I read already that Cricut and Roland are fine, but on review websites there is no roland at all, and a friend of mine told me she was advised cricut, too, and regret after. So please, if someone will read this thread and have experience of work with vinyl cutters, let me know
    Hi SweetVinegar as this group is sponsored by Graphtec who are the UK distributors of the Silhouette machine's it would be unfair to recommend other makes of machine. I would put your post in the general scrapping group here https://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards...eral-Scrapping
    or the community chat here https://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards...Community-Chat to see what others recommend.
    Last edited by DJG; 30-01-2020 at 03:18 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetVinegar View Post
    Hi SweetVinegar. I am bias in favour Graphtec/Silhouette machines having owned 5 machines since 2009 and still have 3 would recommend them. None have had problems mechanically, only a few software issues. The software is always being updated as machines have been improved but still works with older models and the basic edition is free. Anyone can download it from the Silhouette America web site. I have only used vinyl a few times with no problems and it was easier to cut than the materials I normally use like card.

The parent company Graphtec Japan make vinyl cutters and plotter for industry. GraphtecGB are in Wrexham, North Wales and their customer service is the best.