Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Please redirect.Printer Query

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but please redirect the post if necessary.
    My printer finally gave up the ghost this afternoon and now I have the dilema of whch modern one will cope with card uo to 250gsm and print happily without having a hissy fit.Having spent the last few hours researching the attributes of printers I am even more confused.
    I am using Windows 10 and would like an inkjet which does borderless printing.
    Please has any one advice either on what to avoid and what is excellent.I tend to use slightly lighter card for PNC but have a vast stash of 220+gsm
    Thank you
    Helena

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Hi try reading this thread regarding printers should give you some ideas

http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...57331-Printers

Chinese whisper LO swap

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you Sandra,
    I was going crosseyed by the time I thought of asking here.I now have a sensible starting point for my research.
    My defunct printer was a Brother and it was iffy about accepting the same thicker card from time to time but not always. When it was in the craft cupboard I got a crick in my neck and my back locked trying to use the back feed.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have two Epson printers both take heavy card around 300 gsm. My favourite is the Epson Expression XP-960 photo printer. It is A3 so will take full 12x12 scrapbook pages, prints to the edge. Prints stunning photo's and the heavy card such as Hunkdory supersize card, which is a dense card goes through it great. As you know you can get 300 gsm but it can be lighter in density but this isn't.

It is a rear feed and the feeder leans right back, if it doesn't it won't go in at the angle to take the thick card. My other is the same make etc... but a 750 A4 printer, that's an older model and I doubt you could get it now. Just check that the rear feed leans right back, that's my advice. Can't fault Epson for print quality and I like to print my own papers edge to edge.

I got a bargain at Curry's with the 960 at the time and since I wasn't intending to buy a printer at that time I paid for it over 6 months interest free.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Helena I've just read that bit about your Brother printer. I bought that one from Costco and despite having read the reviews that it caused back problems because you had to lean over so far and then it took 6 attempts to get it to take the paper, I still bought it. What a mistake! Fortunately, with Costco I could just take it back. I promise you if you go for the 960 you won't have any problems with it taking card and your back won't hurt either.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you for all the ideas.
    The problem has been partially solved by my husband returning my old HP 3050 which I had donated to him when I bought the Brother.
    With print head cleaning and new cartridges it took 280 GSMcard like a dream.Unfortunately it is portrait orientated , does not print borderless and my memory is that it drinks ink so this may be a temporary fix.I discovered how much I had hated the touch screen on the Brother and how unnecessarly complicated it was.I also noted the advice and made sure the back feed on the HP was fully angled with the printer moved forward from the wall.Thank you Susie.A

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Both my printers have touch screens but I don't use them Helena. I just use the software of the programme I am printing from. Whichever printer you choose in the future just make sure it has that nice rear feed that leans right back. Do let us know how you get on. Sometimes I've found that unless the print setting is on matte paper or ink jet or photo, basically anything but plain paper it simply won't print borderless. So plain paper setting is a definite no no I've found, just something else to think about.