Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)

Norfolk - just at the end of the yellow brick road
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    You are doing sterling work Doreen, for little thanks it seems... many views and no comments, nothing changes does it? I haven't been on here in an age, DH and I have struggled a bit with some health issues lately. I'm not using the Beta version - I've never seen so many updates, sometimes just a day apart! I guess when it is released as a full update I will have a heck of a lot of learning to do! I'm just getting my head round the new Foil Quill. I like it very much. I did buy the one that came out recently that works with dies (the one named after the astrological sign for the Twins if you get my meaning). There are quite a few foiling systems out there now, some good and some bad, but the FQ works with your cutting machine, which means there isn't yet another piece of equipment taking up space. I am pleased with the results given that I'm still learning, I just wish I'd seen the FQ BEFORE I "invested" in the other one which will now probably not get used much. Anyway. keep up the good work Doreen, this group would be lost without you.

Andi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Thank you for the update info Doreen. I have to agree with Andi - we would be lost without you and showing a bit of appreciation is the least we can do, so a heartfelt thank you from me! The Foil Quill sounds very interesting Andi does it work well with the Silhouette and what settings do you use?
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by AndiDee View Post
    You are doing sterling work Doreen, for little thanks it seems... many views and no comments, nothing changes does it? I haven't been on here in an age, DH and I have struggled a bit with some health issues lately. I'm not using the Beta version - I've never seen so many updates, sometimes just a day apart! I guess when it is released as a full update I will have a heck of a lot of learning to do! I'm just getting my head round the new Foil Quill. I like it very much. I did buy the one that came out recently that works with dies (the one named after the astrological sign for the Twins if you get my meaning). There are quite a few foiling systems out there now, some good and some bad, but the FQ works with your cutting machine, which means there isn't yet another piece of equipment taking up space. I am pleased with the results given that I'm still learning, I just wish I'd seen the FQ BEFORE I "invested" in the other one which will now probably not get used much. Anyway. keep up the good work Doreen, this group would be lost without you.

Andi
    I bought the FQ too and have bought a small foiling machine not the same one as yours but the FQ beats it hands down Andi. I use a power pack with mine. I don't plug it into As you say nothing changes lots of views but not many comments. I hope you and your hubby are better now

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by SylviaF View Post
    Thank you for the update info Doreen. I have to agree with Andi - we would be lost without you and showing a bit of appreciation is the least we can do, so a heartfelt thank you from me! The Foil Quill sounds very interesting Andi does it work well with the Silhouette and what settings do you use?

The FQ works with the Silhouette/Brother/Sizzix/Cricut and possibly some other machines although these seem to have been the only ones tested so far

View Gallery

Thank you again Doreen. It looks like most people just read and run nowadays.

I have the FQ on order and am waiting for it to arrive. I couldn't justify buying a specific foiling machine but thought the FQ looked brilliant. Glad it has both of your approvals, you can watch a million reviews online but knowing from people who know their machines inside out and don't give biased opinions is brilliant. Also the fact I can foil any design I have and any font on my computer swung it for me! I was tempted by the one you have Andi but something stopped me and I am glad I did now!

Hope both you and your hubby are on the road to recovery now Andi.

View Gallery

Thanks for the good wishes folks. We are both much better than we were, but DH has really worried me at times ... still enough of that it's just part of the ageing process I guess. I am very pleased with my FQ. I plug mine into a USB hub and it works perfectly, although they warn you not to plug it directly into the Silhouette and that some connections won't work to heat it up. There are certainly plenty of tuts out there on YT and people's blogs. Naturally it is nicer to be able to use existing design files, or design your own, and I see all sorts of possibilities. The dies for the other one I have are really very expensive and subject specific, so you end up spending a small fortune, plus you need to be able to store them and the machine. I also had to buy the die cutter that works with the foiler, inspite of already owning a Spellbinders Grand Calibur, because I wasn't certain the GC would be compatible with the foiler. There you go, more fool me I can always use them as bookends! There still seems to be some doubt about when the UK craft shops will get the FQ so it seems to be mainly on pre-order, I know it was available on the shopping channel and sold out in no time, but I found it on a site that operates from Spain. They were very good. Nice to speak to you all again. Have a good weekend.

Andi

View Gallery

Sorry ladies, I've been one of those who's been looking and not thanking since V.4 was released, waiting to decide whether to upgrade or not, but the constant updates are making me wary. As for the FQ, my main concern is does it need a perfect mat or can it over-ride the cuts and bruises of a well used mat? I have a hand operated foiling wand but it requires more effort than I can now give it and if truth be told I haven't done much card making this year, what with a horrible chest virus and the ageing process. I've been tempted by the system mentioned by Andi but have managed to hold off so far, as others have said, it's a big commitment financially and space wise, also I worry about how much stuff there will be to dispose of when the time comes! For years I've kept on buying but never selling the stuff I no longer need or use, e.g. my Craft Robo CC330-20, though it's probably worthless now. Anyway, thank you all you loyal ladies who keep posting on here, I feel I'm missing out a lot nowadays because I refuse to go on Social Media on account of all the information gathering they do. Not that I've anything to hide, it's just a principle thing and my Inbox is already full of buying opportunities on a daily basis despite unsubscribing. Thanks again for all the work you put into this site.
    Shirley

View Gallery

Just realised that the foiling machine I've been following isn't the one mentioned by Andi but the cost and space issues still apply.
    Shirley

View Gallery

Hi Shirley. I'm sorry you've not been well too - our troubles started with that silly virus thing at Christmas and we just scraped through the holiday itself, then I got over the worst of it but DH was struggling. I know he's feeling ill if he says "I think I need to go see the doctor" without me nagging him to go!

Of all the foiling options out there the FQ seems to have everything going for it. If you buy the full kit there are three "wands", 4 small machine adapters (It covers 4 machines - I guess 5 if you include the Curio, which takes the same adapter as the Cameo and it does all three models of that). The wands aren't huge. You can use most thermal foils but it won't work with the ones that need toner or a laser printer. I did look at the Spellbinders machine that is like the one I bought, but even that didn't seem to be compatible with my Grand Calibur. Plus there was another one I looked at - can't remember what it is called, the crafting market seems to be flooded with them as foiling becomes all the rage. I think the main plus for the FQ is that, as I said in another post, you can use any suitable cutting designs that you have in your Studio programme or design your own if you can do that. The other machines that use dies really have you over a barrel, dies aren't cheap and you can't always find one that is totally what you are looking for. Plus you have to order it and wait for delivery.... and I lose the will to live before I've made the bloomin' card!! The downside of the FQ is that it seems to work very well with thin outlines, so I'm working now to learn how best to do filled in designs using the sketch functions, so that it doesn't leave gaps or go over the same area too many times. I would say personally that the FQ is good VFM and won't leave you with large pieces of equipment to house and eventually dispose of... I'm a magpie too, although I did sell my CR and hope the lady that bought it has been as happy with it as I always was.

Andi

View Gallery

I can only echo what Andi has said Shirley

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Andi glad to hear you are feeling better.

I don't normally download the beta versions of Studio preferring to wait until they are out of beta. Because I bought the Foil Quill last week I had to download the beta so I could use the sketch pen fill. I bought my F.Q. from C&C on the Thursday evening before the first show on the Friday and could not believe that it arrived Saturday morning. Like all things new there is a learning curve, but I am pleased with my results so far, especially the peacock.

I bought the first foiling machine that goes through a die cutter about 18 months ago and love it. Now I can combine both for making cards. The peacock and sentiment was done using my F.Q. and my Cameo 3. Speed 2, pressure 2.

IMG_0439 sm.JPG IMG_0425 sm.JPG IMG_0424 sm.JPG

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

These are fabulous Margaret - I am following the posts about the Foil Quill with great interest and wondering if I can justify the purchase of one when they become generally available here! Like Shirley I too have "masses of stuff" which I know will eventually have to be disposed of when the time comes - its no fun getting old - the only upside is you dont have to go to work any more! Sorry to hear that you have been ill Andi and Shirley and hope you feel better soon - at least the weather is picking up a bit now and the sun is shining today.
    Sylvia x
    My Blog

View Gallery

What super results Margaret, you have assuaged my guilt for buying two different things to foil with! I only bought the other machine, plus the die cutter that it works best with, just before Christmas when it was first presented. I think choosing useful dies and embossing items to use will be the way forward for the other machine. Where did the peacock come from if you don't mind me being nosey, that is so impressive?
    I hadn't seen all the FQ stuff when I bought the first machine or I probably wouldn't have done so. I saw people using the Toner type foils but the results didn't look perfect so I didn't go with that, and I also had a look at the machines you use by hand but, again, the results seemed quite poor. I have the Business Edition of Studio which I purchased as an upgrade a while back when it was on offer so I have the sketch function. I also have a Curio which I will be able to use with the FQ, so plenty to play with. And then there is the Fuse tool which I haven't even tried yet so shaker cards beckon to me! I'm not sure I have enough time left to get all this stuff done, it doesn't stop with card-making, there's cross stitch, knitting, crochet, tatting, dressmaking......... oh boy!!!!

Andi

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Glad you like them Sylvia and Andy.

Andy the FQ was first shown at the big US craft trade show in January this year so you would not have seen it before you bought your hot stamp/die before Christmas. The only thing I can't do with the FQ is put two or more different foils on at the same time which I can do with the manual machine. I also love the embossing I get with the manual one. Once I have foiled it goes back in the die and I run it though with an embossing mat.

I will go hunting for the link for you. I still have my Curio but it's not near my computer at the moment. It was recently replaced by a brother in the January sale.