Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want UKS to stay open for another year?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

38 97.44%
  • No

1 2.56%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I come onto uks several times a day
    My last participation was going onto the scrap whispers section of the gallery and commented on many of the layouts especially those that had no comment at all.
    I also removed older layouts in case uks does close.
    I am a member of the Allsorts team and contribute as a points collector, I am also taking part in the secret Santa with the other active members of the team.
    I do quite a few challenges a month but am only doing the ones I especially feel I can do. I have set two of the weekly challenges this year and I have another to set next month. I think if points collecting is stopping I may do less of the weekly challenges, which makes me wonder if they should just be monthly.
    I really enjoy the Abc challenge, and the sketch, and scrap whispers, and do about half the weekly and half the Friday 5. I do quite a lot of layouts a month, but would continue to do so even if UKS closed.

If Uks closes I would hope to keep in touch with team members and friends via e-mail or Facebook. I am a member of several Facebook scrapbooking groups.

I am concerned that an awful lot of work time and expense is needed by a few people to keep this open for us, if it continues I will probably stay, but my gut feeling is maybe it is time for it to change or even go. So as I voted a yes maybe I should be an Either.

If we do pay a subscription to keep uks open I would want to know that the only people who saw my layouts and posts were subscribed members.
    Which would mean a closed members area and then an anyone can see area. I am a private person and do not particularly want my layouts seen by hundreds of people, which is why each month I move my layouts into a private album.
    Last edited by Claire59; 09-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Just a heads up ... the only no vote in the poll so far is mine ... ignore it

I am very jet lagged and read it incorrectly

Of course I wAnt it to remain open

Sorry

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Hope you are over your jet lag soon Karen. Also hope the boiler problem is fixed soon MaryAnne. Must ring our boiler repair people today as ours sounds like a jumbo taking off and that's the nearest we get to a holiday, listening to the boiler.

When I started on UKS it was purely for scrapping, I used to do the SLYMI regularly but I found that the challenges made me scrap in a way that isn't natural to me, so I found them difficult. I know that's the point of them but I ended up with lots of LO's that sit in a box because I am not 100% happy with them. But I do love to see what other people make of them and that was a while ago and when I look at some of the challenges now I know I could happily do them but it is a lack of time and energy. I see the challenges now, such a View one recently set by Alison, I think and I would have loved to take part. Unfortunately, it is so long since we went anywhere I didn't even have a decent view to show if I'd had the time or energy to do it.

Health issues mean that I can't get up until after noon and by the time my body is working it is usually about now before I can do anything. Even writing this I am still in my dressing gown. So you can imagine that at this time of year when we lose the light so early I don't get very much done, I do need natural light for true colours, daylight bulbs don't work for me.

That said, I do join in with the card challenge set by Nat, I also have great fun with the lovely ladies on the snap chat forum and we do a LO challenge occasionally on there too. I will also be setting the prompt for the first week in December for the weekly challenge (correct me if I'm wrong Karen). I am trying to make a wedding album for my niece and each page is painstakingly done, because it has to be just right, then it goes in the gallery. The cards often don't these days as we just post them in the thread.

I don't think a day goes by when I don't leave at least a few comments for other more prolific members. I am happy to poke my nose in when someone needs help, especially if I see someone who is new and they need a welcome aboard.

At one time, I just left the site open all day but now I tend to dip into UKS probably about a dozen times a day, maybe more. It is the first thing I check when I put on my computer and the last thing I look at before I close down at night. When life is tough and I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking this, UKS is a voice of calm and sanity and fun. When I've had a particularly bad day dealing with elderly folk, I can come on here and have a moan or better still just forget about everything and join in and see what everyone else has achieved during their day.

I would also love to know MaryAnne as I'm sure you would, why 80 members have looked at this thread yet only 34 have posted. Before I closed down last night it said I was the only member on here with 150 guests. I realise they may be on here because of different time zones but I still wonder why they aren't joining. Does this sound silly, but could it be they think it is really for people in the UK from the name as we don't seem to have many members from further afield, apart from Denise and Maria etc... - just a thought?

My boiler can't be fixed for a week, hope it hangs on until then. We also are trying to get a neighbour's boiler fixed. Thank goodness it isn't really cold yet MaryAnne.

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I regularly do the weekly challenges and I did one last week. I have slipped a it the last couple of months due to a bereavement but I'll be back to it soon.
    I chat in my team each day, on the GB thread about every other day, the photography forum most days and the card making group periodically. I am also team leader on a sketch challenge group. I love the ABC challenge and would love to see that continue. The only reason I have dropped off lately is because of the bereavement.

All that said, I agree with Amanda Jane that I can find lots of inspiration on FB and similar. In fact with so many groups you can join there is a never ending supply of ideas. However, the chat is just not the same and I far prefer chatting in here and that is why I would be prepared to pay a subscription. I have made lots of friend here and the chat is nowhere near the same on FB. Long may UKS continue. I am sure there are many that would not pay the subscription though for the same reason as Amanda Jane says.

Scrapping is my hobby Housework isn't Mary Buttons's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I do the weekly challenge every week and the monthly and try and do an ABC challenge Friday 5 and all my pages I post in my gallery here I also give details of what I've used and where I've made thing for the page. I try and comment on pages as I go along too
    I chat on my team and my House (green buttons) and also in the photography challenge every day I get so much out of UKS and not sure how I will be if it closes
    Scrappycats Team Green Button house
    My Blog Mary's Musings

Plant smiles, grow laughter, harvest love Hedgie's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    The last photos I uploaded was yesterday and that was for the scrap whisper which I really loved. I pick and choose which weeklies I do as some are right outside my comfort zone. I have enjoyed setting the weekly though. I chat most days on the GB thread.

Chinese Whispers Christmas Card Swap Chinese Whisper LO swap

So many photos, so little time g61's Avatar
    View Gallery

Popping back on here to update. Relieved to hear there are some more sponsors - thanks to them all and thanks to Mary Anne!

Due to family situation, I've not been actively scrapping for almost 4 years. Now that things have changed, I have so much catching up to do! I have hundreds (probably thousands) of photos to scrap, and UKS is where I look for inspiration. I was always a slow scrapper, but I'm changing: 'just do it' is my mantra now, and no more keeping papers for best etc.

I've never been in a team but recently submitted LOs following some of the challenges for the first time, which was fun. I have so many photos, I can always find something to fit just about any sketch or challenge. I'm not fussed about collecting points really, partly because I can't join in consistently, and I don't always finish the LO in time. I work full time, so I have to fit that in too . (I'm convinced some of you never sleep.)

I don't use FB at all, so I would miss UKS greatly - there is no substitute. For that reason, I would be happy to subscribe if that would make a difference, and I'd be more than happy to pay the sort of amounts suggested.

Apart from throwing money at UKS is there anything else that would help?
    Margo

I'm a member of Scrap Happens, in the Blue Brads House

View Gallery

I have uploaded 10 LOs and 1 card in the last 6 weeks, ie since I started up again. I visit the site almost every day now, and have a look round to see what's new.
    Margo

Scrapping is my hobby Housework isn't Mary Buttons's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I love the weekly and monthly challenge and even if it makes me scrap outside my comfort zone I usually manage to make it work for me and end up really liking the pages I've done even if I wasn't sure I could do them in the first place.
    Scrappycats Team Green Button house
    My Blog Mary's Musings

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

You are one of the 'prolific' members I mentioned Mary. I have so much admiration for those of you who are able to create something so quickly yet to such a high standard.

Like you g61, I have probably 1000's of photo to scrap and I need to take a page out of your book and 'just do it' instead of agonising over everything. Something Elaine said once has resonated with me, "It's only a piece of paper". When I've gone wrong and am trying to fix something I think of those words and even on occasions tear it up and start again.

Off to check out how many guests are on here now.
    Last edited by Susie.A; 10-11-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

2 members and 111 guests.

I was talking about this situation with my hubby and funnily enough he said the same thing that I mentioned. He suggested that paying a membership fee seemed like an excellent idea but also suggested having a limit to how many times a guest could visit to decide if they wanted to join before being blocked. If someone hasn't decided after, say half a dozen hits on the site that they love it enough to want to become a member, then can they be blocked. This is assuming we can keep UKS going with the help of the sponsors and memberships.

I've noticed that one of the biggest drawbacks to how much we contribute to the site seems to be either health issues or family problems. It happens to all of us at some point and sometimes, as in my case, can continue for years. I don't use FB but Elaine does and she put it so well when she said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that it is basically about the friendliness on this site that makes it so unique.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (48)
    I have just come back to UKS in October and did the monthly challenge, joined (which I loved) the scrap whispers. I have done this weeks challenge and the November challenge just need to upload them. I only have an I-Pad now so need to work on the technical side and remember a lot of the "How too do stuff" then I can join in more. I love the swaps and am participating in a few. There is so much to see and do all on one site. Please carry on, I would be happy to subscribe.
    Chris
    Jigsaw Christmas Decoration swap. A.T.C. coin swap(2 groups)Christmas stocking Swap.
    Twisted Sisters AJ CJ.

View Gallery

Just seconding Susie A.'s comment about Mary Buttons being an inspiration! I'm another who is impressed by how prolific you are.

And Elaine is right - it IS only a piece of paper (or ribbon, or a flower or whatever).

I wouldn't stop scrapping if UKS folded, but it brings another dimension to scrapping.
    Margo

Chatty papercrafter elainevking's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I’m going to have to take a screen shot of those comments..two people telling me I’m right...I’ll have to tell DH!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elainevking View Post
    I’m going to have to take a screen shot of those comments..two people telling me I’m right...I’ll have to tell DH!