Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you want UKS to stay open for another year?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

38 97.44%
  • No

1 2.56%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    You're never too old to try something new ;) TinkerHamilton's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    May I add my twopenny worth? I hate that FB has taken over from UKS. Most of my team chat on FB instead of in the social groups that we all held so dear. UKS was a lifesaver to me for lots of different reasons and I know it was for others.

HOWEVER (don’t you just hate that?). It took me an absolute age to find this Thread. I hate to say it, but this is not a great site to navigate. As a team leader I’m more than happy to post links in my team thread but what about those not in a team?

Scrapping is still out there and very much “on trend”. Lots of folk have successful blogs and FB pages. What are they doing that we are not? They’re offering carrots to keep their visitors. A few years ago is it was the cyber crops. Now it’s all about giveaways. I’m sure we have enough talented folk on here to create a giveaway or two. What about retreats? Some of us are quite experienced at organising them now. Maybe we should be offering a BIG weekend away with guests and guest kits. MA I understand this may be too much for you to cope with but there are plenty of people on here with marketing experience who can pull this off.

Tink
    Member of the Scrappycats

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I am one who doesn't do FB, this is as close to social media as I get. It is a site that is loved by people who have a common interest, a love of crafting, in all its different forms. I would be lost without UKS and as I mentioned earlier, would donations help to make up the difference and if so, what is required. I truly have no idea how these sites work and the cost and actual work involved but I am grateful for everything MaryAnne and all those involved and of course the sponsors have done and for keeping this going for such a long time.

What I don't understand is why isn't it about the actual taking part and sharing of ideas. Most of us are in teams (I'm not) or go to particular parts of the site that interest us and take part in the challenges. I certainly didn't realise people expect freebies just to be part of a site. I must be quite naive as I thought being part of UKS was a gift in itself.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Needless to say I want it to continue ... MA has made such a home here for everyone and it’s been a pleasure working with Sue.

However ... giveaways are not the way I’m afraid. We had sponsors sponsor challenges and it was embarrassing how few people took part. We come up with as many innovative challenges and events as we can and yet still few people post here. They chat on FB etc. Getting people to set weekly challenges is soul destroying and relies on the same core few yet I know from clicks lots of people must be using the challenges but not responding, sharing, commenting. People ... me included ... don’t comment enough on the work of others, don’t share their ideas ... if we want it to live, apart from the financial implications, we have to each breathe life into it ... our creativity, our interest.

I think the forums could be thinned down a great deal, older things could be removed and maybe ... those who love UKS could help by posting ideas, pages, thoughts, making the forum we love vibrant again. Whilst team chat happens it should be far more than just that,

Sorry if I sound harsh but at times trying to keep interest, challenges, ideas etc is very demoralising. UKS saved me at a very bad time ..l I owe it so much but we all need to help with what we have best ... our enthusiasm and creativity, our willingness to participate, to keep it fresh and alive.

I think the team side of things is really dead in the water and I think points collecting is done and dusted and I don’t see that continuing after December. But I think we could still make it a fun vibrant comm7nity.

You're never too old to try something new ;) TinkerHamilton's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    By giveaways I don’t mean high value gifts. Paige Evans and JustNick Studios give away the odd free cut if,e and then provide lots of inspiration on how to use it. Simple things keeping people coming back.

I can understand how demoralising it is to try to keep things going Karen. I think you’re right, lots of people click on the challenges and view other people’s work but not so many take the time to comment.

Tink
    Member of the Scrappycats

CARD MAKER AND CR OWNER
    View Gallery

Hello again. Just a thought - but how about approaching big businesses like Hobbycraft, The Works, The Range etc. Their products often get a mention on the chat group I belong to (on UKS by the way) and the other couple that I lurk on. And of course they benefit from most of us buying their products. Perhaps they could even have their own "pages" where they could let us know about this weeks special offers, new products etc.
    I am like so many others on here - I have no interest whatsoever in joining big public forums like FB etc.

I also repeat that I would be happy to "subscribe" on an annual basis if somebody would let me know how to other than by paypal.

This site has given me so much in so many ways and I am devastated that it may close.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    adding

Memories and Photos to the Sponsors for 2019 column!
    And a big THANK YOU to

Crafts 4 Eternity!

I have to read and absorb all the new comments. But our boiler packed in this AM so need to sort that first

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer tigerlady's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (10)
    Just been having a little look:

In November there have been 127 members on UKS, of whom 3 were new members (not sure how the counter looks at members who are set up as "invisible" like me so it may be quite a few more.)
    There have been 45 uploads to the gallery by 9 members in total which have had 86 comments between them.

How much would we need to pay as a subscription to keep UKS going?

Team Leader of Scrappycats My blog

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

Thank you Crafts 4 Eternity and all the other sponsors.

Chinese whisper LO swap

View Gallery

And I echo Thank You to all the sponsors who have agreed to stay with UKS.

Sorry to hear about your boiler MaryAnne, hope it is a cheap and quick fix.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I was thinking that too Yiayia, about Hobbycraft, the Range etc.
    It would be peanuts to them.

I echo a big thanks to all our lovely sponsors
    Ellie

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlady View Post
    Just been having a little look:

In November there have been 127 members on UKS, of whom 3 were new members
    No way to get number of UNIQUE members but there have been 18 new members according to the stats page and about 100 people every day. THAT is unique, I believe, as it does not count your return visits within 24 hours.

How much would we need to pay as a subscription to keep UKS going?
    More than you want, I'm sure. If I get a reply from the biggest sponsors who have NOT replied yet, then I would have to crunch the numbers based on last years costs. Hard to say but maybe £20? The key is it would have to be from everyone, not just a few people.

As to the big companies like Hobby Craft or the Works, they have never been willing to sponsor in the past and UKS just does not have the numbers anymore to warrant them even considering it.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by MA
    No way to get number of UNIQUE members but there have been 18 new members according to the stats page and about 100 people every day.
    I just looked at the members list and sorted it by date then counted back which will be much less accurate. Are your figs for November or a month? 100 a day doesn't sound too bad really.

£20 a head sounds acceptable to me but as you say that would need to be from everyone (so probably would need to be £25 to cover non payers) But that is hypothetical at this point in time.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    I’m sure many on here would be very willing to pay around £25, let’s face it, we all spend loads on stash, and UKS is a big part of our scrapping addiction !
    Nobody wants to see UKS disappear, many of us would be lost without it.

I did write a long message earlier but I clicked on something and it all disappeared ! I will try again later when I have more time x
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    A big thankyou to all our lovely sponsors, to you Mary Anne for all the behind the scenes technical stuff which I dont begin to understand, and Sue and Karen for keeping us challenged
    Alison

SNAP 2022 BTCR 2022

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I think looking at numbers of members , users etc can be misleading.

This was copied few minutes ago.
    Currently Active Users
    There are currently 150 users online. 7 members and 143 guests

So in fact this forum consists of an awful lot of guests who have not , signed up as members.

There are probably only a small amount of members who are active enough to want to pay to keep the forum open.

I think incentives are not a good idea, it won't make more people active just get more inactive people visiting the forum for the incentives.

Of course this forum has meant and still does mean a lot to individuals and for that we are all very grateful but is it enough to justify the hardwork a few are putting in to keep this open for us.
    I am not sure it does.
    That's my pennyworth anyways.