Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Thread: Laser Printer

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)

Laser Printer

I know this has been asked before, but as technology changes at a ridiculous speed I thought I would ask again. I am interested in getting a laser printer to do foiling, but don't want anything either too expensive or large. Has anybody got any suggestions please? I would like to foil onto cardstock up to about 250gsm if that is possible, and don't need it to be colour just black would be fine. .

Many thanks for any suggestions.

You wait for a silence, I wait for a word Dan99's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I've had a samsung laser printer for around 10 years now, cost me £30 ish and though I use it fairly regularly I still haven't had to change the toner cartridge. The print quality is great but with anything thicker than paper the toner powder doesn't set, I think it's heated from the other side and card is too thick for enough of the heat to pass through to melt the toner. This might be a common problem because I can't see them heating the paper from the front side, it'd smudge the toner. Definitely don't buy one unless you've had a report that it will work fine on the thickness of card you want to use.
    New set of free designs here
    Butterfly Project Free Template here
    My Blog

View Gallery

Thanks for that Dan, it's really helpful. The one I was looking at was a Samsung, so I might try contacting them and asking if they can advise me. I will rethink my idea of using thicker card stock and see if using something thinner would work. It should do as I always matt and layer onto a base card.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I too have a samsung Sue, although mine is a colour one and it did cost about £170, it prints beautifully and on the spec page for my printer it states it will take up to 270gsm, that was my reason for going for that one but i have managed to put 300 gsm through mine. I also have a canon (not laser) and all of the canon models take 300gsm no problem. I'm still unsure about what shop links you are allowed to post but the best prices i could find were from a company called *******land, the first word of that is the item you are looking for, it is also next day delivery but i can't remember if you have to spend a certain amount for that.

View Gallery

Thanks for that info Fiona, I think it will definitely be a Samsung when I can work out where to put it! I will have to rearrange things to squeeze it in. You know what us crafters are like for making room for a new tool. I have a Canon inkjet as well and it is the best printer I have ever had. Because it has a rear feed as well as front tray it takes anything I throw at it with no problem at all. I will have a look at the place you suggest and see what I can find.

Many thanks, Sue

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Jampot View Post
    Thanks for that info Fiona, I think it will definitely be a Samsung when I can work out where to put it! I will have to rearrange things to squeeze it in. You know what us crafters are like for making room for a new tool. I have a Canon inkjet as well and it is the best printer I have ever had. Because it has a rear feed as well as front tray it takes anything I throw at it with no problem at all. I will have a look at the place you suggest and see what I can find.

Many thanks, Sue
    LOL Sue, mine is a monster of a machine and it lives in my wardrobe in the bedroom, my craft room is a bit smaller than a shoe box so no room in there for it. I got mine primarily for foiling but i couldn't get to grips with the foiling. It was an old foiling machine that someone gave me (it has since been dumped) but i like the look of the minc.
    I have heard that cheaper laser printers are best for foiling and i know from a friend that the canon isenys laser printer takes neenah solar card which is 216gsm. The site i mentioned are very helpful and if you contact them (freephone number) then they will go through your requirements and advise, they will even send you some print samples if you want but whatever you decide to go for, take into account the cost of toners because a set of toners for mine cost £200 so when they are done, it will be cheaper to buy a new printer as there don't seem to be many compatibles around for mine.

Anyway, sorry that reply was so long winded but the more information you have is good for making a choice,

View Gallery

I was passing Staples yesterday so popped in to have a look and some of them were huge. I would have to empty everything out to get some of them in! I have been watching You Tube videos and I have a laminator which I can use for foiling so thought a laser printer would be ideal to go with it. It seems daft that it's cheaper to buy a new printer than buy replacement toners/ink, but that's the way the world is nowadays unfortunately. Don't worry about the reply, I prefer to know all the information before I buy.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I got my Samsung laser printer from Staples a few years ago. They sometimes have an offer where you get a reduced price on toner cartridges if you buy them at the same time as the printer. I got two spare cartridges, and they lasted for several years. (I do a lot of the general household printing on the laser too, as it's a lot more economical than the colour inkjet. The cartridges would still be going if I'd only used the printer for craft.)

I think that for use with foiling, it must be a monochrome printer. Colour lasers use a different type of toner, and the foil won't stick to it.

Mine will only take up to 130gsm. I did try 160gsm, and it reluctantly went through but (as Dan explained) the toner didn't stick properly. I'd love to be able to foil on proper card, but have just had to adapt my usage to use the foiling on toppers and inserts.

If you go onto the Samsung website, you can often get more information on specific printers - they have the user manuals online and these have sections about the types of media the printer will handle.

Hope you find something suitable. Nothing ever seems to be simple in the technology world!

Ruth

View Gallery

Thanks Ruth, I have emailed Samsung this morning so waiting to see what they say. I am sorting out the printer, but haven't even started looking at foils yet! I will probably end up using it for general household printing as well, but foiling is my main aim.

View Gallery

Thanks for all your help everyone, I was looking round today and noticed a simple Samsung on offer in Staples for just £49.99 so there was nothing to lose really. In fact the one I got has wifi connections and was cheaper than the same model without! Despite reading that some people have had problems I just pressed the button and it was done. I haven't tried foiling yet but the print quality is fantastic. Because it's wifi connected it sits on the other side of the room which is great. Once I get round to doing some foiling I will put some photos up. Samsung have said I can use card up to 163gsm so once it's matted and layered that should be fine

Thanks again for all your advice.

View Gallery

Oh good luck with it Sue, sounds like a decent deal you got plus a bonus that it's wifi. Mine isn't but i had those BT Wi-Fi extender thingies which effectively makes it wi-fi so that wasn't a problem until i couldn't get it to work the other day so had to use a usb and then i couldn't get a preview before my print, ah isn't technology wonderful, lol.

I'll look forward to seeing your results ...... if i can figure out to see peoples work on here. x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Glad you are pleased so far - it's always a bonus when the initial set-up is straightforward. Have fun trying the foiling, and it will be great to see the results.

I bought my laser foils from Patsy May - she used to sell a foiling machine on Create and Craft, and also attended a lot of the craft fairs. But she just seems to be selling online now.

Ruth