Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)

I need advice please re printer paper

I thought I have always only ever bought the bog stanard 80gsm (I think it is) printer paper - I use a lot of it (I use it as backgrounds for inchies, twinchies and ATC's) which I am heavily into. I love how my copic and other colours bleed slightly into the paper etc...............BUT .........

a couple of weeks ago I ran out of paper and forgot to pick up a ream at the supermarket and on the night time i remember some old paper I had in a box on top of my shelf - so I decided to use that (I will get to the reason why I need advice) I just like to make it a bit more dramatic - I live a very sheltered life.

Sooooooooooooooooooo I got the paper and printed on it and realised that this paper is probably 100 or maybe even 120 gsm and I am in love.

well not fully, but I do like this paper !

So I try and buy some on ebay but I only find for the higher thicknesses it says 'great for laser printers' doesn't say can't use on inkjet but just wondered if it is OK to buy these papers for my inkjet printer.

Your advice people would be great.

and thanks.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    I bought some 120g paper in either Staples or Tesco's sorry I can't remember which and it works fine in my inkjet printer
    Last edited by DJG; 21-02-2016 at 01:18 PM.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    I've been thru this. Staples used to sell some lovely paper, either 100, 120 or 160 gsm and called Text and Graphics paper. it was fab. They stopped selling it, of course, and every time I go in and ask for it I get re-directed to laser printer paper, which has a kind of funny colour to it, like it was painted with a thin coating of dull off-white chalk is the best I can describe it. Hate it.

Hobbycraft had some 120 gsm white "card" on sale a while back and I bought a bunch, and that has been fine. I also use Photo Paper Direct a lot and they have some decent ones too, and lots of fab specialty paper. But NOTHING has come close to the perfection of the 160 GSM Text and Graphics paper from Staples, for the price they sold it at. It was 500 sheets for like £5 and they did BOGOF offers all the time It's like when they discontinue the perfectly fitting bra and try to suggest some other "new and improved" style that makes you miserable every time you wear it - you just wish you had bought 50 of them when you could!!

OK, so MAYBE I exaggerate, but only a little....

On a side note, MY Staples did let me take a few sheets from the copy centre of a few styles to test out at home. You might tell them which you are interested in, see if they have a few sheets they can give you to try?

View Gallery

thank you for your replies. I haven't got a staples closeby .................so will try the local Hobbycraft never thought of them to be honest.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I had this conversation not long ago with one of the top designers on a crafts you print site. She told me she just uses the local supermarkets own brands. Think she said it was around 120gsm. I have been using crafters companion satin finish 100gsm but to be honest i am not sure it gives such a wonderful print. I am going to try one of the local supermarkets own brands once i run out see how it compares.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I used to buy 120 gsm for inserts, it just gave better coverage inside especially if I had ribbon on a card, I think it was Tesco's. Recently I bought A3 paper from Staples and it said for laser printing but they assured me it would be fine for ink jets and it was, it just has a slight sheen to it that my old ink jet paper didn't have. I prefer a flat looking paper but mine does say for laser and it prints well on the ink jet. I don't care whose paper it is providing it is nice and white and around 100-120gsm.

View Gallery

picking up my 160gsm (I think it was) might be 120 gsm paper tomorrow from Argos ( have it delivered there via the auction site) it wasn't overly expensive and we shall use it anyway for ordinary printing if it isn't any good for my crafting. thanks for your replies - I didn't manage to get to Hobbycraft either.

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I've never been able to find a 120gsm paper. All shops round here only do 90 gsm
    Ruth