Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Framing A Mini Album Cover?

Hi, a Belated Happy New Year to Everyone 😃
    I'm in the initial process of gathering stash and ideas, and want to make a set of seasonal 6x6 mini albums with Fairy Door covers and plenty of foliage and embellishments around them. Haven't a clue why, but it just takes my fancy at the moment 😊
    I have the Tonic Fairy Door die and was wondering, would I need some sort of frame being as its an album cover and I'm going to add flowers, leaves and seasonal embellishments etc, or would plenty of glue and/modge podge be ok?
    For one of them, (winter) I would like to try and make it look like a miniature scene and have the edge of the roof protruding a little over the door with icicles and fake snow ont it.

This is where I'm struggling with how to finish off the edges to make them neat, and not make the too bulky, or does bulk not really matter for a mini album?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Damkina

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Not sure about a frame, for sticking do you have a glue gun?

I've never worried about bulk for mini albums
    Sarah x

View Gallery

Thank you, Sarah. I've never had or used one before, but I finally gave in and my glue gun arrived this morning.

A frame was the only thing I could think of to keep the edges tidy, but giving it some thought, I don't think it will work after all. I'll have to get the thinking cap back on.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    If you Google fairy door die you should get images of items made up with the die. This should give you some ideas. I don't think you need to neaten the edges or enclose it in any way.
    My Blog
    Mixed Media ATC Swap
    Mixed Media ATC Swap 2

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    If you were to use a small frame on the cover and the die decorated within it, I think that sounds like a great solution to keeping the edges looking nice.

Likewise you could make it it's own box and solve the problem that way. I made a mini book a while back, built on very large flowers. It had chipboard centres to give it some stability, but was a bit floppy. There were bits of stamped swirls on transparencies that were stuck only in the middle and dangling charms from some of the leaves. Oh, found a picture:

flowerbook1 copy.jpg

and I made it a box (well decorated one I had that fit )

decoratedboxtop copy.jpg

Might be another idea.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    I should add, until you have something out and on display I don't think you can appreciate how much the sunlight and the dust can affect it. If you are going to put a huge amount of effort into something, and this does sound like you will, then protecting it makes sense. I have a lot of projects I've made, out on display in my office. Sometimes I will take on down and I am always shocked at how dusty they can become. And the dust and the central heating will loosen the bond of some adhesives so stuff that was well stuck get loose or drops off. Hot glue is def. the way to go for many things that need serious adhesion!

If you found a box that fit all 4 seasonal books, and rigged a divider inside for 4, taking into account the protrusions like the roof, etc, then you could decorate it as a presentation box. That might be a nice way to display it. Maybe even upright, with a clear acrylic sheet, hinged as a cover so you could see all 4 inside? And you could add a "title" to the acrylic. Either in a row of 4 or a 2x2 grid, depending on where it will be housed!

Other peoples project always enthuse me and make me want to make one too!

View Gallery

Sorry for not replying for such a long while, life has got in the way again.

As much as I'd like to say it was a success... It wasn't. It went from being ok, it might work, to being an absolute failure. I think the more I tried to put it right, the more of a gluey mess I made of it and eventually threw it in the bin out of frustration.
    I would just like to say a Big Thank You to you lovely people for the advice and help you offered. With hindsight, I will be trying a version of it again, but not just yet ��
    Last edited by Damkina; 13-03-2016 at 06:55 PM.