Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

sad Embossing Advice?

Hello just registered to brand new user!

I am contemplating making my own wedding invitations however I have googled like mad for this answer and cannot find it anywhere....

How would I obtain this 'indented' effect photo attached on cardstock? The cardstock is "fibrous" if that help???

Many thanks for any help
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

First off, Hi Beccah and welcome to UKS.

I'm not sure I can help you with that, it is a bit difficult to make out from the photo but it looks a little like a radiator panel shape shrunk down. What is the item in the photo, is it a card? Maybe some sort of embossing folder would do it but the folds look quite deep and I don't recall seeing an embossing folder like that although I've seen something similar but running diagonally but that's not say it doesn't exist!!! I just tried using a scoring board but it doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Have you allowed plenty of time for making your invites? I found it quite stressful making wedding invites and all that has to go with them but maybe it's easier for your own wedding because you know exactly what you want.

Really wish I could help and sorry I can't be of more use but I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to help. There is a wealth of knowledge and lots of lovely people on here.

I'll have a Google too and see if anything crops up.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    As Susie has said its hard to make out from the pic but to me it looks like the centre panel has been made with a corrugator. This is a small hand held tool with a ridged roller. You insert the card and wind the handle and it gives an effect like corrugated card. If you Google it you should get some more info.
    My Blog
    Mixed Media ATC Swap
    Mixed Media ATC Swap 2

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Oh I wondered why it looked so familiar, I have a ridged roller! Actually, I've had it for so long I'd forgotten all about it. Just given it a go and it doesn't look quite the same but it may well do the job and does look really nice. Well spotted Scrapmate!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I've not got it anymore but there is the stripes embossing folder - now changed to the stylish stripes which are diagonal!
    Sarah x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That's the one I've seen Sarah, the one with diagonal stripes. I wonder if there is anything in the line of dies as I know some people use dies to emboss with rather than actually cut although I've not tried it myself.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I've wondered about using a scoreboard as well, or even if you have a trimmer that has an embossing thingy as well. Ok for little bits of wanting embossed lines, a big job to make lots! Tim Holtz has a file folder type embossing folder as well I think - have it in my head that I have seen one from him!
    Sarah x

View Gallery

Darice did a striped embossing folder as do SU i think but the picture is very unclear and it's hard to see if it is actually embossed or not. I did something similar with my score board on this card but i'm not sure if it's the same effect you are after but it gives you an idea.

Attachment 190744

View Gallery

Hi everyone and thank you sooo much for all your help ! I am prepared to spend as many hours as I need to create these so no worries there.

I will look up a corrugator and hopefully find something! I have attached the full photo which may be more helpful - the ridges are meant to resemble the ridges on a retro Nintendo game cartridge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Hi again Beccah, it may well be that it has perhaps been folded to create the pleats, as it looks more like pleats to me than embossed. I hope you get something sorted.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've just Googled it and it definitely is ridged and still reminds me of a radiator panel. The corrugator won't give exactly that effect but it is probably going to be the closest thing to it. I could corrugate a piece of card and post it to you if you like - let me know. It would save buying one although they are probably quite cheap.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Have just seen something that might be just what you need, will pm you later - just off out now.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Okay, sorry to disappoint you but I've just checked out the item I saw on the TV on-line for a closer look and it isn't going to work after all. Such a shame, sorry to build up your hopes.