Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Rookie needs File Editing Help Silhouette Studio 3.4.427

I got a Cameo two days ago and have already given up on Silhouette as a source of information or support. I have over 20 years experience with Photoshop and image editing software, but Silhouette Studio has me screaming blue murder. Perhaps I have too much history with Photoshop, etc. I’ve looked through the official manual, but it’s like trying to look up a word in the dictionary when you don’t know how to spell it.

I’m trying to make a stencil using a 12 x 12 file I got from the Silhouette store. I only want to use an 8 x 10 section of it. I don't want to resize it because the cut areas will be too small. Apparently there is no traditional Crop tool. I tried the Knife, but the software freezes in “Processing” mode and I have to force quit. Also tried Erasing an area and it did the same thing.

It would take 30 seconds to do this in Photoshop. Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

View Gallery

Give this a try: draw a 8 x 10 rectangle over the top of your design (over the section you wish to use), then Edit > Select all. Then go to Object menu > Modify > Divide. Once this is done you should be able to delete all the parts you don't want (i.e. outside of the rectangle) and keep just the parts you do want. There is a crop function (Modify > Crop) but it doesn't always work well with compound paths, it works well for basic shapes but for complex designs I find it often best to use the Divide function.

Hope that help.

Edit: As for using the knife tool and it freezing, this is normally because the design is grouped, it tends to lock the software up for a long time. If you ungroup the design before using the knife there is a good chance it will work without freezing.
    Last edited by BrianP; 13-08-2015 at 04:20 PM.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi Brian,

Thank you so much for the advice. I tried the Divide directions. The Divide option was available on the first attempt, but it wouldn't delete. Started from scratch with a new file and now, no matter what I do, the Divide option is greyed out. I tried ungrouping the image and rebooting the software. No luck. It will let me select and delete each cut. This software sure is twitchy.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
    Give this a try: draw a 8 x 10 rectangle over the top of your design (over the section you wish to use), then Edit > Select all. Then go to Object menu > Modify > Divide. Once this is done you should be able to delete all the parts you don't want (i.e. outside of the rectangle) and keep just the parts you do want. There is a crop function (Modify > Crop) but it doesn't always work well with compound paths, it works well for basic shapes but for complex designs I find it often best to use the Divide function.

Hope that help.

Edit: As for using the knife tool and it freezing, this is normally because the design is grouped, it tends to lock the software up for a long time. If you ungroup the design before using the knife there is a good chance it will work without freezing.

View Gallery

The only time I have seen Divide greyed out is when only a single object is selected, once multiple objects are selected the Divide function should be selectable.
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm stumped, too. Thanks for trying.

View Gallery

I've been trying it here as I was typing it, and it works fine here. Are you on mac or PC?
    Technical Support
    Graphtec GB
    www.graphtecgb.co.uk

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Mac. Just got it to work. Guess I just needed a bigger hammer. Learning that this software is sloooooow. Cheers.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Glad Brian was able to help you Linda