July colour challenge

by sharon1973

Rufus's Workout

by Mary Buttons

Elephants lunch time

by Crafty Sandra

Love this life

by Jolene

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Inspiration and Challenges > Older Classes,Challenges & CyberCrops > Book Of Me/Scrap Yourself

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Of Me

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)

Book Of Me

This goes back to 2005! Still interesting

Book of Me -- what's it all about?
    Book of Me

What is a Book of Me, and why do I need one?
    Ok, to start with a Book of Me is a scrapbook album dedicated to you. The layouts can be about anything, your likes and dislikes, hopes and fears, whatever you like as long as it tells something about you.
    And why do you need one? Look in your scrapbooks. Most of us will find that our layouts are about our partners, kids, nephews, nieces, the cat/dog, our car, the flowers in the garden, all about everyone and everything except ourselves. Wouldn’t it be nice to record something about you? It could be a wonderful thing to leave to your children and grandchildren so that one day they can see the interesting hairstyles you had in the 1980s or perhaps so that they can see what music you liked, or what your favourite food was.

But, what if I don’t plan on having a family to leave it to?
    It doesn’t matter. If you don’t have kids, who do you scrap for? If like me you scrap for yourself, then do a BOM for yourself. When I’m too old to remember these things, it will be good to be able to look back and see what I liked and how I felt. If I’ve kept up with my BOM through the years, I’ll even be able to see how my tastes changed. Not to mention my hairstyles…

Ok, so I need one. What size should it be?
    That’s an easy one – it can be any size that you like. If you normally scrap in 12x12, it’s a good opportunity to try a smaller size. 8x8 is popular with many scrappers. You can get a good size photo on that, but you can also run the pages through the printer and put any journaling directly onto the background if you wish. There are many sizes of albums available now, but it would be wise to check that it’s a standard size so that you’ll be able to get more page protectors and albums in years to come if you want to keep to the same size.

So, how should I start my album?
    A good first page might have just a current photo of you on it, with the title of your album. Then perhaps a dedication page which would explain why you’re doing the album. You could continue that with details of your birth, a page about your name – what it means, why it was chosen, and carry on from there. There are plenty of suggestions in our Getting started section and you may like to look at the Links section for some good sites to get suitable information.

View Gallery

1. Create the title/dedication page of your book of me

Ideally this should include a recent photo but it doesn’t have to. You should also think about why you are doing this book & explain on your opening page, maybe dedicate the page to your children & future generations if applicable.

The initial content of this and some future challenges has been taken from challenges previously set by Sam and Kihaku.

Sample title pages:

Here is a layout from the Book of Me challenge, by Theresa, who says: A few years ago, it occurred to me that there was a gap in the scrapbook pages that I was creating. None of them were really about me! One of the reasons for that is that I am happier behind the lense than in front of it and another reason is that I was set on recording the lives of my chidlren and our family life together. One day, I realised that there were pages inside me that I wanted to get onto cardstock - pages about my life as a child, pages about my Mum who passed away before my children was born. All of these things I realised, were as important for my children to know as the events and feelings that I was already scrapbooking.

With this in mind, I made the decision to start working on a scrapbook about myself, I wondered what title to use for it as calling it A Book of Me didn't appeal. At that time, the film 'About a Boy' was showing and the phrase 'About a Girl' kept running through my head. No matter how hard I tried...no other titles presented themselves to me, so...I went with it. I don't think of myself as an 'almost middle aged, married with two children scrapbooker,' I still think of myself as 'a girl' and don't really feel all that much older than when I was in my twenties (except on bad days!) so my scrapbook about me is indeed 'About a Girl. '

Theresa’s layout is a beautiful example of a Title page. A Dedication page is slightly different, as it has journaling on to explain why you are doing the BOM or to dedicate the book to someone. Carrie’s layout is an excellent example of just that.

I love this layout. The photo is such fun and the journaling really sums up her reason for doing the Book of me. Carrie is doing her book in 6x6 and so has kept the format quite simple, which works really well with a smaller size. Look in the Book of me gallery for more layouts from Carrie’s album.

Have you started your Book of Me yet?

View Gallery

BOM Challenge 2 - Your Beginnings
    Ok, you now have a title page and possibly a dedication page. Now it’s time to start scrapping about you.

The best place to start is at the beginning with information about your birth. You could do just one page
    with some or all of your birth information on, or you could do several pages. It just depends on how detailed
    you wish to get, and of course how much information you have. Some information, you may wish to record,
    but still keep private. It’s fine to use hidden journaling for this – such as on a tag tucked under a photo or
    journaling block, a mini-book, or beneath a hinged element on the page.

Ideally you would use a photo of yourself as a newborn if one is available, but it’s perfectly ok to do these
    layouts without any photos at all.

Some things that you may like to include are:

Your name – What does your name mean? Do you know why your parents picked it? Do you like your name? What name do you go by usually? Is it different – if so why?
    Birth details – Parents names, birth place, weight, time of birth, date of birth. Any information you have on your birth or your mother’s labour.
    Your christening or naming ceremony. Do you have Godparents or the equivalent?

Here is an excellent example of a page where no newborn photo was available. Val has included a photo of her parents and some other information that is just perfect for including on scrapbook pages.

This is a lovely page by Carrie. All the birth information is there, such as weight, date of birth and place of birth, along with a suitable photograph. Carrie has also included anecdotes about the events of the day, which really make the page individual.

For your Book of Me page on this subject, you could ask you parents what they can tell you about the day. There could be some interesting tales to be told.

View Gallery

BOM Challenge Week 3 - 'On the day that I was born.'
    You can make a great layout using information about the day that you were born. There are several things that you could think about putting on your page, such as –

• Find out what was happening in the news on the day of your birth, on that day in history or during the year of your birth.
    • Who was number one in the music charts both in the UK and the US.
    • Who do you share your birthday with?
    • What star sign are you? What are the characteristics of that star sign and do you think your character is true to that sign? You could also apply this to your Chinese year.
    • What were the prices of basic items such as a loaf of bread or a gallon of petrol? You could add the equivalent prices for today as a comparison.
    • What style of clothing was in fashion?

Again there is scope for more than one layout here, if you wish. Some of the links in this section may be useful in finding out day you were born information.

I did this layout in 8x8 and chose to include information about the news and events of the year that I was born, instead of concentrating on the date. I also included a cost of living comparison. Can you believe that in 1960 you could get a car for less than the price of two Craft robos now?

BOM Challege - Sample 'On the day that I was born' pages.

This is one that I did that includes mostly astrological information. It’s very simple, as my Book of me is in 8x8, which I find easier to scrap in if I may not be including photos. It was designed to match the other birth information page that I did, and I intend to do a layout to accompany it with my thoughts on whether the star sign characteristics really match mine. I was highly amused at the information that I found about the year of the Rat. I’ve got to admit that two out of the three there are spot on, but I wouldn’t say that I was particularly ambitious.

Look out for challenge number four next Friday.

View Gallery

BOM Challenge Week 4 - Siblings
    Challenge four is about your brothers and sisters. You could do a simple page on how many siblings you have, their ages etc, or you could focus on the relationship that you have with them.

If you don’t have siblings, you could do a layout about how you feel about being an only child, or you could extend the idea to focus on special friends, cousins etc.

Some things you could add to your layout are:
    • Details of your siblings – names, dates of birth.
    • How alike you are or not.
    • What it was like growing up with them, any special memories
    • What your relationship is like now
    • If you are an only child:
    • Did you want brothers or sisters?
    • Did you make believe that you had them?
    • Were you glad to be an only child?
    • Did you have any cousins of similar age?

I love this layout by Venessa, as the colour scheme looks perfect with the black and white photo. She has included some snippets of information about her sisters on two of the tags, and a quote on the third. Venessa planned to do another layout to go alongside this one, with photos of the sisters now. That’s a lovely idea that could easily be used in your own Book of Me.

BOM Challenge - Sample 'Siblings' page

This week’s example is a double page layout by Carrie about her sisters. She has included some information about her sisters and also about their relationships with each other. Carrie has used a recent photo of the three of them, but also included photos of her sisters when they were babies.

She has also done a matching page about her brother, which can be found in the Book of Me gallery.

View Gallery

BOM Challenge 5 : Music of Your Youth
    This week’s challenge looks at the music that you grew up with.

Some things to think about:
    • What era were you? Seventies, eighties, nineties?
    • Did you have a pop idol, or was there a band that you loved? Did you go and see them in concert?
    • Did you have a favourite style of music? Were you a punk, a new romantic or a goth?
    • Do you have any special memories connected to music?

This is a layout that I did about the music that I remember from when I was at secondary school. Ah, David Essex...

This is a layout that I did some time ago. As it’s 12x12, it doesn’t live in my BoM, which is 8x8, but I thought it a good example of how musical memories make good pages for our BoMs. It’s a very plain layout but includes the lyrics of the song that triggers memories of that summer.

View Gallery

BOM Challenge 6 : Hairstyles
    Who is ever happy with their hair? If it’s straight, we long for curly, if it has a natural wave, we get out the straighteners. Blondes dye their hair brown, and the brunettes change to red. Then there are the styles we subject our hair to. Just look back over the years and laugh! The afros of the seventies, the ‘big hair’ of the eighties and for those old enough to remember – the sixties had some very interesting looks.

So, what has your hair looked like over the years?
    Has the colour changed on a regular basis? Has the length gone up and down?
    Did you follow trends, or have you always kept your hair just the way that you like it.
    What style was your favourite, and which the most cringeworthy?
    What horrors did your mother inflict on you when you were young? Pigtails? Ribbons? Both?
    How do you feel about your hair? Are you happy with the colour, its curl or lack of it? Would you like it different?

So, fish out those photos. Go on, be brave. Scrap your hair, with all its ups and downs. This should make for some hair-raising layouts!

View Gallery

OM Challenge 7 : Signs of Me
    During one of our Cybercrops we were lucky enough to be set a Book of Me challenge by Angie Pederson, author of ‘The Book of Me’. Many of you may not have seen this the first time round so here it is again. Enjoy.

Signs of me challenge - set by Angie Pederson

Recently I've been "percolating" on a layout I would like to do about my 5yo daughter. Several months ago, my husband and I saw the movie, "Signs" with Mel Gibson. The kids in that movie TOTALLY reminded me of my kids. The daughter even left unfinished glasses of water all over the house, just like my daughter. I've been thinking of doing a layout titled, "Signs of Joanne", to document different ways we know she's around. I've taken pictures of her water bottles, her blanket thrown over her favorite chair, her stuffed animals by the computer, and bath toys in the tub. Just little reminders that a 5yo girl lives in our house.

Then I started thinking....what kinds of "signs" do *I* leave around? What little things reveal that I live in my home, and that I am impacting my family's life? How am *I* leaving my mark? I haven't decided all the pictures I'm going to take, but I'm considering taking pictures of my toothbrush in its holder, my purse and keys hanging off the doorknob, the pile of romances in the closet from the library, my dinner menu on the fridge door, my messy desk in front of my computer....all these things are testimony to the fact that a 32yo woman lives here.

So. I challenge you to take some moments to consider how you are leaving your mark. What are the "signs" of *you*? How would someone know, Oh, she's been here! Take some candid pictures, document them, and scrap the page! If you can't actually get those things together now, at least start brainstorming what your signs might be!

Have fun on your scavenger hunt, looking for "Signs of Me"!
    Angie

View Gallery

BOM Challenge : Christmas Memories Sample Page
    This is a layout by Michele P who has just started her Book of Me. This layout was done for one of the team challenges and is a lovely example of a layout without photos. This is what Michele says about her layout:
    This is a layout by Michele P who has just started her Book of Me. This layout was done for one of the team challenges and is a lovely example of a layout without photos. This is what Michele says about her layout:
    This is our team challenge this week. I don't have any photos of my childhood Christmases. They weren't all that great to be honest

So, I've done mine in 8x8 with BG Blitzen; Mauve coloured Bazzill to make a card for hand written journaling; letter blocks inked and distressed for the title; fibres; Christmas embellies; made a tag from an old Christmas card; ribbon bow and ric-rac; glitter on the card.

Think I covered it all.

This challenge really made me think, and try to put some memories on paper. This will go into my BOM... my first entry!... a"3"and the first time I've done a lo without a photo on.

This is the last challenge to be set before Christmas so I thought it would be topical to look at early Christmas memories. Some things to consider:

• Did you have any special ornaments or decorations?
    • Did you have any Christmas rituals such as leaving a mince pie for Santa?
    • When were you allowed to open your presents? Did you get your gifts under the tree, in a stocking, pillowcase, all of the above?
    • Were you taken to see Santa? Did you always go to the same place? Who took you?
    • When did you stop believing in Santa? Did you work it out for yourself or did someone tell you?

Not everyone celebrates Christmas. If that applies to you, perhaps you could use memories of a festival or celebration that is special to you.

Our example layout this week is by Theresa and is about her memories of Midnight mass.

View Gallery

Book Of Me Challenge 8 - People who changed your life
    People who changed your life - this could be a layout (or two or three) about the people in your life that have affected you in a way that changed your life. It could be a teacher, friend or celebrity. You could put details of the people and how they changed your life….

View Gallery

Book Of Me Challenge 9 - Clothing
    Do you have a favourite piece of clothing? Why do you love it, how does it make you feel when you wear it?

View Gallery

Book Of Me Challenge 10 - Jewellery

The jewellery you wear/love/treasure – this could be all your jewellery or a single piece – the history behind it, the reason you love it.

View Gallery

Book Of Me Challenge 11 - Best Friends

Your current best friend(s). Who are they, how are they special to you?

View Gallery

Book Of Me Challenge 12 - A Night Out...or not!

What would be your ideal night out? Where, who with? Or do you prefer to stay in?

View Gallery

Book Of Me challenge 13:

Let's Go To The Movies

Thought we would do something a little different this time rather than concentrating on a person.
    • What I want you all to do is think about movies/films/tv/cinema etc?
    • How do films affect you? What are your favourite type of films? Romantic comedies or action packed thrillers?

You could include things like

• TV programmes you hate to miss
    • Your Top 10 all time favourite film.
    • Favourite actor/actress?
    • First film you ever saw in the cinema
    • Childhood favourites
    • Most memorable tv moments

There is a lot of scope with this theme & you may even be able to do more than 2 pages. I know I could.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast