We Don't Make UKScrappers. We Make UKScrappers Better.

Victorian Gentlemen

by Mary Buttons

August week 2

by sharon1973

Friday 5 - 9th Aug

by sharon1973

Friday 5 - Aug 2nd

by sharon1973

Happy families

by scrapdolly

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping > The Library > Techniques

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Question typewriting on LO or printing text

Hi,

I am new to scrapbooking and so I am always watching YouTube videos and what I've seen is a lot of typewriting on journalling cards or journalling typed on the computer and printed on to the card stock/pattern paper, sometimes dead centre of the page or on the side or bottom.

How is that done? Is there a tutorial I can watch? I'd like to learn even though I don't have a printer

do scrappers actually have a typewriter and if so what are the best ones and how much do they cost?

Thanks

Hana

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    There are 100s of fonts that look like typewriter type. You would do far better to get a PRINTER rather than a typewriter . That way you can use text that looks like that PLUS 10000000 other fonts!

I would guess all but a tiny few do the text that way...or use bought embellishments that are printer with typewritten text

Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone. lruk's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Hi Hana,

I have an old typewriter which I bought on Gumtree. All it needed was a new ribbon. It does take a bit of getting used to though as it isn't easy to delete if you make a mistake

I don't think you would be able to buy a new typewriter without paying a lot of money for it.

As MaryAnne said there are a lot of fonts that look like they were written on a typewriter so you may be best trying some of them first.
    Linda

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (89)
    I too have an old typewriter..it's easy and convenient, try your local charity shops or online auction sites, they usually go for around £20 though I did pick one up from a car boot sale for £6.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Printers are cheaper these days than the replacement inks!! So do be careful and fully research your printer on the internet first, I did, then I went to the shop with a stock of various weights of card and asked them to print on it!!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

hi everyone
    thank you for your replies
    I do think I might try a printer, if I come across a cheap typewriter then that's good.
    However how do I print on a 12 x 12? would that fit a printer? also what if I want to print on a journalling card, do I need a special software?

Glynisrose, that is so true! sighhh

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    An A4 printer will be cheaper than and A3 one And it has been so long since I used a typewriter I can't be sure a 12 x 12 sheet would fit in one of them either! Most people print on other card, then cut it out and add it to the layout. Here is an example from the Gallery:

I suspect the typewritten bits could be pre-printed embellishments, but you get the idea! You can do the white-text-on-darker by creating a text box and layering white type over it. You can't do that with a typewriter. although a Dymo label maker would look a bit like that. Another thing to add to your wish list LOL!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

That's a lovely layout. OOh I know now
    lol I'm always adding something to my wish list, it's ridiculous

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanked 1,231 Times in 945 Posts
    Unless you must have the sheet of 12x12 as a whole piece, what I do is cut a piece of 12x12 down to say A4 size and decide where I want to put my journaling, run it through the printer and re-attach it to the rest of the sheet using something like a ribbon or an edging of some kind to make it look as though it is still all one 12x12 sheet of paper. Does that make sense?

That way you can print exactly where you want to on your card stock even running down the side if you want. I test it on copy paper first.

Let the good times roll......... CraftyPrincess's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (26)
    You can get the rolling alphabet stamps too that make a typewriter effect for journalling. I've got the Pebbles one it can be tricky to line up but it depends if you like a grungy look over a neater one.
    Leo

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

oh yes the big large ones! ive seen those and i really like that grungy look. hmm thank you Leo

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie.A View Post
    Unless you must have the sheet of 12x12 as a whole piece, what I do is cut a piece of 12x12 down to say A4 size and decide where I want to put my journaling, run it through the printer and re-attach it to the rest of the sheet using something like a ribbon or an edging of some kind to make it look as though it is still all one 12x12 sheet of paper. Does that make sense?

That way you can print exactly where you want to on your card stock even running down the side if you want. I test it on copy paper first.
    Two very good tips there! Thanks. Never thought of gluing the two bits back together! Lightbulb moment.

I usually print (in draft mode) onto copy paper til I get the size/shape I want then use repositionable glue to attach a journaling card or scrap of card stock to the appropriate place and run the copy paper back through the printer.

This has two useful aspects: positioning is easy, and also my printer isn't always keen on very thick card stock, yet it is happy if the card is stuck to a sheet of paper so that the leading edge that's drawn through is paper not card.

Only thing is you need to remember to put the printer back on normal print mode when you're printing on the "real" piece!

I've never done this but apparently you can print onto ribbon using the same technique too

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanked 1,231 Times in 945 Posts
    Another thing I do is buy white card blanks say 6x6 and glue them with repositionable glue to an A4 sheet of copy paper and run it through the printer and this way I can get exactly the right background colour for my card or print patterns directly on to them. I must admit I love playing around with the printer providing it doesn't act up of course!

Glad you found the tips useful Azimuth and I've never tried the ribbon idea either but I would imagine it works in a similar way to the card blanks.

+ Post New Thread