Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Just call me DC8!! daisychain888's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)

paper for making own envelopes?

Do you recommend a particular type/size of paper to make your own envelopes and do you have a particular source for buying it?

There are so many score boards available now I'm finding it difficult to make a decision as to which one to buy so I'd also like to know which board you would recommend for making your own envelopes and why?

'people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'

x Jayne x

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I buy A3 pads from the shop whose name equates to a cattle ranch or a kitchen cooker. One is a sketch pad, 40 sheets of 100gsm, and the other is a Cartridge pad, 50 sheets of 110gsm. I also have an A4 pad of Cartridge paper 120gsm and a pad containing 10 sheets of Artists Canvas 280gsm 27cmx38cm for really special envelopes. I also use 100gsm printer paper, in fact you can use anything at all really, it depends on how much protection you need for the contents. Unfortunately I can't tell you the prices of any of the above because I have had them for quite a long time but generally Art sections offer more choices than Craft ones, especially for bigger envelopes. Hope you find this helpful.
    Shirley.
    PS. I use The Ultimate Crafters Companion board the most frequently of my boards but for non standard sizes I design them in Silhouette Studio and cut them on my CR.
    Last edited by BowBow; 21-02-2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to answer 2nd question.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I have made envelopes out of just about everything, wallpaper, wrapping paper, brown parcel paper, tissue paper, even a paper tablecloth once! I normally use the crafters Companion enveloboard and for larger envelopes the enveloboard+ does the trick. They both allow you make flat and evelobox types.
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have been enjoying using my WRMK (We Are Memory Keepers) Envelope Punch Board. Makes very professional looking envelopes and is very fast.

Gives measurements for 60 different sizes. Only downside is that it is quite difficult (for me) to work out other sizes though instructions for some others, including box type, can be found on the web.

Regards

Lesley

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Anything over about 100 gsm is great for envelopes, Lidl do a 24 cm x 34 cm coloured paper pad at 135 gsm that I have found is great for most envelopes. Wallpaper, especially lining paper makes good envelopes and if you stamp then they can be decorated. 12 x 12 paper collections / pads are also a good weight for envelopes.

Just call me DC8!! daisychain888's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (14)
    Those answers have been really, really helpful

'people may forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel'

x Jayne x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

What great ideas. Only this week I made a card and I suddenly realised none of my envelopes were the right size. Fortunately, in our family dad never allowed us to write on envelopes that were being given by hand:roll eyes: so consequently I have a huge variety of envelopes going spare. Nevertheless, it would be great to make just what I want as it took me ages to find the right size.

Also this is a great excuse to visit the 'cattle ranch' again. You have know idea how long it took me to work that one out BowBow.

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I still haven't figured out cattle ranch!

Got it now!
    Last edited by BathBelle; 22-02-2014 at 10:23 PM. Reason: The penny dropped
    Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BathBelle View Post
    I still haven't figured out cattle ranch!

Got it now!
    I thought it was really clever.

Dedicated Scrapper Sara@Paradise's Avatar
    View Gallery

Here's a way to make your own envelopes without a scoring board.
    http://www.cardmakingparadise.com/en..._tutorial.html
    Smiles,
    Sara

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Can we not mention particular shops? I use cheap 12 x 12 scrap booking paper.....it needs to be cheap so you get the thinner stuff, which is easier to fold. I got a pad of 84 sheets for £7.99 from that shop that sells all sorts of stuff....not a cattle ranch, but along the lines of T K something. Al also using the wrmk board that was much cheaper on a site that usually sells books. Thought it was v. Expensive on the TV show

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I'd really love to find somewhere that sold cheap plain coloured 12 x 12 or A3 paper for envelopes.
    Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I use cheap 12x12 paper pads. I've also used pages from magazines.
    Sarah x

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

printed paper that matches your card. Make the design on the inside it looks nice when opened!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

If you want cheap coloured paper try a local stationers such as Rymans. A3 tends to be a bit lightweight I have found though.....