Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is It Just Me!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Just my opinion: CDs and as far as I understand it, and digital images too, are produced to allow you to use the images multiple times, which to me is quite a different kettle of fish to scanning in a single image from an external source to re-use. Some images and stamps have restrictions regarding "mechanical reproduction/use" so if the policy is not clear you should definitely check with the copyright holder.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by kals View Post
    Dear Lydia

In answer to your reply, No, I am not asking if people are using their machines to break copyright. I am asking if I was to use my Robo to cut out images (instead of using a pair of scissors) from a cd that I own, do I have to do the same and rescan the image each time I want to use it? I agree that copyright is very tight which is why I was ASKING the question.

Terribly sorry my enquiry wasn't self explanatory and I am rather upset by your accusation that I was asking people to break the law, which hopefully you will now understand that I wasn't!
    I never suggested for one minute that you were asking people to break the copyright laws. It was a tongue in cheek comment, which obviously misfired. However your apology is graciously accepted (another tongue in cheek comment, for those who may have missed it). Again, I reiterate, use common-sense, if you aren't sure ask the manufacturer. My name is Lynda not Lydia

Lynda
    LIFE'S JOURNEY is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!" - Mavis Leyrer age 83

View Gallery

Thank you for your kind welcomes Shirley Anne, DJG & Ed Dawson. I lost the forum site as I did not book mark it, [have done now] so it has taken me a while to find you all again.
    But it has arrived!!! and I have made my first cut-out.

I'm going to have to look in the files because I don't know how to import a file from Serif, or from other CDs.
    I will read as much as I can before asking the silly questions.
    Thank you
    Sue

Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

No question is silly Sue, better to ask than struggle ! Enjoy your new toy.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy-cav View Post
    Thank you for your kind welcomes Shirley Anne, DJG & Ed Dawson. I lost the forum site as I did not book mark it, [have done now] so it has taken me a while to find you all again.
    But it has arrived!!! and I have made my first cut-out.

I'm going to have to look in the files because I don't know how to import a file from Serif, or from other CDs.
    I will read as much as I can before asking the silly questions.
    Thank you
    Sue
    Basically you need to be aware of the difference between image/picture type files (bitmaps) e.g, jpg, bmp,png and the outline shapes used to cut from (vectors), e.g studio, dxf, svg. We have a mini tutorial here or you can do a Google search for more information about the differences. But the important point is that you must have a vector file to be be able to cut from it. Files not in one of these vector formats will have to be traced for you to be able to do so. You can import a bitmap file into Studio and it trace it there for cutting, or if your CD software supports it you can save a file in one of the above vector formats, and open this in Studio.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi,

I only recently bought my Cameo and was looking at the Brother machine too; I couldn't justify the extra £150 just for the convenience of being able to do a direct cut. Then there is the inconvenience of having a tiny little screen to work with, rather than your pc screen. I personally actually prefer working on the PC; I've had no performance issues and can work on multiple files at the same time or use my PC for something else whilst I cut, although I've found the cutting to be fascinating (and quite quick) so haven't felt the need to use the PC whilst cutting very much . And don't forget the Cameo comes with software in which you can create designs; for the Brother you would need to create your design, print it out, then use the machine to scan it in. At the moment it cannot read SVG files as I understand it. It somehow seemed cutting with the Brother would be more work. So far I've found I could do pretty much everything I wanted to with the Cameo; the only thing I couldn't cut so far is fleece fabric, but I might retry that with some interfacing and see how I go. For cotton I have found I didn't need interfacing; I just starched the heck out of it
    The machine cuts like a dream and I am super happy with my choice, but I'm sure the Brother is great too, just not for me and certainly not at another £150.

Ed,
    You mention the Cameo doesn't have cutting pressure; isn't that what you set with the Thickness settings in the Cut settings? The way I read it, you can adjust the cutting force from 7 grams up to 230 grams force, so in my mind that equated to pressure. Am I misunderstanding this?

Take Care,
    Karin

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

No - you've got it right Karin but when you compare 230 grams to 500 - 750 grams force and think of that potentially applied to an embossing or piercing tool, it makes a significant difference.

I am awaiting our ScanNCut but I will not retire my Cameo. I don't think the fine cut capabilities of the Cameo will be reached by the SNC and the pens which they are marketing at the moment are more like paint brushes. I believe that I will get the two machines working - one complementing the other by doing the jobs the other can't achieve.

Studio is the best cutting file design software that I have found and the new machine's onboard or online programs can't touch it. Unfortunately, I have a wife who can't manage Studio. The interface offered by the SNC will be ideal for her, allowing her to cut her own design without reliance on me. There appear to be a lot of people out there who fall into this category. I have always taken my computer literacy for granted - and realise now that I shouldn't.

Eddie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks Eddie, that makes perfect sense, horses for courses as they say I think
    I have found the Studio software quite intuitive to use, especially with the help of youtube and the help files, but for non-computer literate users I guess Brother have really hit the mark. They do make great machines; I love my Brother Sewing/Embroidery machine, it's a workhorse and still going strong after 10 years.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the SnC and how you feel the two machines compare. Only a week to go; I bet your wife is getting excited!

Take care,
    Karin

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hm, I caught a repeat show with Mel a few night ago (I've been unwell and have trouble sleeping, which translates into a lot of video streaming), and here's what she said about using SnC for cutting out decoupage sheets:

1. It is fine to do as long as you do not save the shape into the SnC memory, as this would be breaching the copyright. In other words, you are supposed to be using the Direct Cut feature.
    2. The direct cut feature, however, does not pick up and cut out the landlocked ares. When the presenter asked her for a solution, Mel said that you can just finish off cutting manually. So if we take what she was saying as an official policy, we'd be stuck doing the usually trickiest bits by hand.

Now, it was not clear if this was Mel's own interpretation of copyright application or an official policy from Brother. She did not name check any designers either.

To be honest, I am finding all this rather murky. It feels that this aspect of the launch was not very well thought out. I really wish the Brother team reached out to the major designers before the launch to come up with a boilerplate usage policy.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Any Electronic cutting machine which is linked to a PC or laptop which in turn connects to a scanner has the potential to break copyright law. It is down to the individual users whether they are using Cameo, Pazzle, Cougar, Zing machines or Studio, Make the Cut, ScAL software to support and maintain the copyright, angel policies and terms of use of their respective setups.

Decoupage is problematical because it can only be in the Direct Cut Mode because of copyright concerns' The quality of the cut wii rely on the drgree of contrast between the subject and the backing paper but because direct cut only takes the outside line of the target and landlocked areas will be left to do by hand.

If the decoupage pattern is copyright free the Scan to cut data can be used which will allow the landlocked areas to be cut out too. I am busy converting some of my files to .FCM so looking forward to see it cut something other than Mel Heaton's tame flower.

Cheers

Eddie

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I'm really trying to understand the capabilities of the machine here, so please forgive me if this sounds silly.
    Can this machine not be connected to a computer at all? If it can then is there really a problem with scanning in the decoupage/image moving it into the software program to enable the cutting of 'landlocked' areas and then cutting them out.
    I'm interested as I can see numerous applications where this would be useful to me.

Also looking forward to hearing how you get on with the machine Eddie.

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ed dawson View Post
    No - you've got it right Karin but when you compare 230 grams to 500 - 750 grams force and think of that potentially applied to an embossing or piercing tool, it makes a significant difference.

I am awaiting our ScanNCut but I will not retire my Cameo. I don't think the fine cut capabilities of the Cameo will be reached by the SNC and the pens which they are marketing at the moment are more like paint brushes. I believe that I will get the two machines working - one complementing the other by doing the jobs the other can't achieve.

Studio is the best cutting file design software that I have found and the new machine's onboard or online programs can't touch it. Unfortunately, I have a wife who can't manage Studio. The interface offered by the SNC will be ideal for her, allowing her to cut her own design without reliance on me. There appear to be a lot of people out there who fall into this category. I have always taken my computer literacy for granted - and realise now that I shouldn't.

Eddie
    can i ask have you got your machine and if so how are you find it please.

also have you used any files you created in silhouette studio with the brother machine, if so did you print them out and then scan them before cutting.

i am thinking of buying one and use a mac so software compatibility is my main problem.

I've downloaded silhouette studio and find it easy but it won't export to svg for me to open and convert the files in the online brother canvas software, so the only way i can see to use them is print, scan and cut but don't know if it will pick up all the detail say in something like scollop shapes etc.

i need to find a mac compatible easy to use software that will export to svg, any one know anything

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I am quite enjoying the cutting and scanning aspects of the ScanNCut but designing and file handling are problematical. Any file I create in Studio needs to be printed and then either converted to SVG and imported into Canvas or, imported into Canvas as a trace file or scanned into the SNC, saved to USB and then uploaded to Canvas.

I have achieved my best results using the scanning process. Importing the SVG file seems to cause a loss of detail and I find the trace function quite difficult, clumsy and not accurate especially after using both Studio and MTC which give excellent results.

I have not had any significant scanning failures (to date). I have read account of those who have but I think they were probably pushing the limits of the scanners capabilities. When I have created a cutting file in Studio, I will change the cut line to black and make it slightly wider. After sending this to the printer I have, as I said, experienced no problems so far.

I can't offer any help with regard to the Mac as I am strictly Windows but I have used Inkscape to convert JPGs to SVG and also MTC and in both cases the import result to Canvas were unsatisfactory.

Until Brother improve Canvas (and I don't see why they would) I will continue to use the print, scan and upload method in preference to others - unless someone can show me where I am going wrong - lol.

Eddie

Owner of Janome MC9900 & Brother ScanNCut
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    just thought i would post and say I've been designing various things in inkscape today and saving them.

then i open the online canvas software and import the inkscape sag file and they seem to be converting ok, although i haven't bought the scan n cut yet to try anything!

but with the naked eye they are looking of.

i did struggle with 2 designs, one i had several shapes on one 12x12 page so it wouldn't convert but once i separated them they converted ok.

the other was a grouped design, so once i ungrouped it in inkscape it then converted in the canvas software.

so if anyone is using the system it may be worth remembering to ungroup your design before converting.