Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking

Notices

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

Printers for heavy card - help

For many years now I have been making my own Christmas cards and every year I say I must get a new printer that can deal with heavy card, and every year I draw a blank. Can anyone recommend a printer that likes heavy (285-300 gsm?

Many thanks

Ludmilla

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Any printer with a rear paper loader will take heavier than normal card BUT usually only up to about 250 - 300 gsm. I have a HP which prints onto 250 gsm on a regular basis.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have just been in the same position as you. I make charity Christmas cards, anything upto 1500 or even more each year so my printer has to take a real battering. That's without including all the other printing I do as well.

I use 250gsm card now and my last Epson R265 was packing in and I bought an Epson Expression XP750 from Staples. They even agreed to let me try it and return it if it didn't meet my requirements. They also price match.

It's an all-in-one which I don't usually like for pictures but it prints beautiful photo's. It is both a front and back loader and takes a 250 gsm card from the front without any problem.

I would like to use the back feed but it only takes one piece of card at a time which is a bit of a pain when you are printing hundreds of cards.

I will be keeping it, although how long the feeder will work as a front loader with the amount of cards I print I don't know. I may alternate and use the back feeder just to take the pressure off. I don't think any home printer is supposed to do the amount of printing I ask of mine and so far they have all been Epson and couldn't fault them. Hope that helps, it such a mine field finding the printer to fit your requirements.

View Gallery

thank you for the information. Will get the printer you recommend. xx

View Gallery

forgot to mention that after posting I carried on researching and was recommended a Canon PIXMA Pro9000 -it has this feature:

The printer features a built-in flat paper path. This enables thick photo and fine art media to be fed straight into the printer without the risk of bending or curling. It also delivers exceptional accuracy when printing fine details.

However it costs about £400, not sure whether to try that or the epson, hey ho, will let you know what i decide - thanks again,

Ludmilla

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (55)
    Goodness! That's a bit steep

I've always had Canon printers and never had any trouble printing on card. My current model is a Pixma, but it was less that £50 a couple of years ago
    Fiona xx

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I have a brother printer and manage to print on card.
    The printers mentioned above I have seen few recommending them.
    Dawn

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

I have an Epson with back loader and it will take nothing heavier than copy paper and eats the ink at an incredible rate.
    Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper Crafty Sandra's Avatar
    View Gallery

My Canon Pixma takes 300 gsm card using the back loader.

Sandra

You wait for a silence, I wait for a word Dan99's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    Similar question here, anyone suggest an all in one wifi printer that will take 300 gms card? (Actual model number if poss please!)
    New set of free designs here
    Butterfly Project Free Template here
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

printers

Just purchased Canon Pixma MG5350 on amazon £87.00 recommended by people on forum . One lady used 325gsm card. Hope this helps

View Gallery

Brilliant, thanks mollypolly! I've just ordered a refurbished one from Canon's outlet on the auction site, £49.99, including a years warranty so should be ok
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by mollypolly View Post
    Just purchased Canon Pixma MG5350 on amazon £87.00 recommended by people on forum . One lady used 325gsm card. Hope this helps
    I'm waiting for mine to be delivered as well - bet they're wondering why there is a rush on!

View Gallery

Well, mine arrived today and I've just finished setting it up and testing it.

Only one word for it, absolutely BRILLIANT! (Oh wait, that was two words, ah well... )
    Print and scan quality is excellent, just did a couple of test prints on 300gsm card and I couldn't ask for a better result, so made up with it!
    My Blog

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Does the paper feed more from the back for the heavyweight card? Also how many sheets of card can you put in the feeder at a time please oh and how many inks does it use?