Chain-link 1 Tickled Pink

by MiniOwner

Sept House Challenge Bubble Fun

by MiniOwner

ABC I is for indigo

by MiniOwner

Sept week 3

by elainevking

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping > The Library > Techniques

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X Cut Xpress

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

X Cut Xpress

Hi everyone,
    I've been looking at the X Cut Xpress and wondering if it's time to go for a die cutter that can take larger dies. It's a bit pricey though, so I'd love to have some feedback if anyone has had an opportunity to try it out.

Thanks.

Mags

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Couple of ladies I know love theirs but there are several folk on docrafts own forum who have gone through the plates within the first weekend (even one of their own demonstrators has said her plates are warped badly). Plates arent yet available to buy, dont think I'd be buying if they warped that quickly tho.

Personally I'd look at the bigshot pro if you have room.

Dedicated Scrapper Sara@Paradise's Avatar
    View Gallery

I demonstrated this at Hobbycraft and loved it so much I bought one! I really love the way you just adjust the dial when using different dies and embossing folders rather than faffing about with different sandwiches. I flip my plates over as I use them so they get used both sides and they haven't warped yet. I love the big size too, and how stable it is when open - it's really useful to be able to fold it up when not in use too. I didn't realise they didn't sell the mats separately though.

You can get good deals at the moment. I found mine for 100.
    Smiles,
    Sara

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanked 1,248 Times in 961 Posts
    I've got one, should we say an early Christmas present from hubby.

I have had problems with it. If I put a number of dies (all the same) spread evenly over the cutting area the middle only marks the card/paper but the outside is cut perfectly. If I put dies down the centre only they cut perfectly so it makes me think there is something wrong with the pressure plate/roller.

Fortunately, I bought mine from one of our UKS sponsors and they have been beyond amazing. I am giving it a testing for them but they have said they will happily collect it and replace it at anytime or even give a refund. They have since had one other lady with the same problem so it could just be initial teething problems or a faulty batch.

The cutting pad does seem to mark easily and warp but for now the main concern is getting it to cut properly.

As has been said, it is very stable and using the dial is quite simple, the whole concept is brilliant and why someone didn't come up with this idea before beats me.

I have decided to try various dies and make a note of any problems and then the sponsor (can I mention names?) will know exactly what to look for when they receive it back.

I'm sure this is just a faulty one and I've been a bit unlucky and provided you buy from a trusted seller (and I can give you the name of one) I'd say give it a go.
    Last edited by Susie.A; 17-11-2013 at 06:41 PM.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    This just keeps coming up, doesn't it? Problems with die cut machines seem to be hit or miss. There is always one person who has a problem and others who maintain it's perfect. what is the critical thing is is how the shop that sold it reacts when a problem is reported. Good customer service will make all the difference. Glad to hear the sponsor shop have been brilliant in that. Our sponsors really are the best

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Couldn't agree more MaryAnne regarding customer service. It's such a leap of faith when you buy on-line.

My Xpress is going back just waiting to find out when they are coming to collect it. It seems mine is one of 3% with a fault which I suppose is not too bad a rate when something is so new. In an ideal world they would all be perfect but hey ho.

I do want another one because where it did work it worked great, cutting and embossing all in one go.

For those who are interested, I've been dealing with Craft Superstore which changed hands recently. I paid 99.99 and Sarah and Charlie (both ladies) have been absolutely brilliant to deal with. They epitomise what customer service should be about. No I'm not being paid to say that!

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The problem sometimes with a4 diecutters is that they're designed to cut a4 sized dies not take loads of little ones all on the same plate.. that little trick is down to the folk on tv trying to use "speed" as a selling point.

Dies, just like stamps, are all very slightly different heightwise, have 2 different ones next to each other and the pressure is going to be affected by the taller of the dies. A bit like trying to roll out clay between 2 depth guides.. if the guides are taller than the clay the roller wont work.

You can also get the roller "jump" slightly when it starts to go over the 2nd die which can cause an uncut patch on the other die.

Add into that the physics issue (wish I'd listened more instead of flirting with the class hunk) of keeping an even pressure along a moving bar and it's easy to see how some can be effected by having different dies on the plate.

*if* I use my a4 cutters I try to line the dies in a straight line going down the plate leaving room between them so that the roller is only ever in contact with one at a time. I do find it an awful lot easier to just cut one die at a time in the bigshot.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

You're right the demonstration does show using multiple dies and therefore if that is supposed to be a selling point it's what the buyer expects to receive.

I used all the same make of dies at one given time, not mixing them at all and laid them out in a variety of ways but without fail only the outer edges would cut on all dies and the inner edges simply marked the card. Even when I put one single die off centre on the base plate it only wanted to cut the outer edge so in this case I think the problem lies with the roller not being absolutely even.

I'd like to hear from those who have this machine and are happy with it, have they used it to cut multiple dies with success? Docrafts seem to be saying there is a problem with a small percentage of machines so let's hope it can be sorted to everyone's satisfaction.

I loved the fact that it cut and embossed all in one go on the dies that I did have success with, no faffing about changing plates and using shims and so on. Mustn't let my Cuttlebug here me say that though.

Sadly no hunks in our physics class - an all girl school!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (6)
    They have this machine in the Range for £100. Still drooling as I can't make up my mind.
    Sheila

View Gallery

this is worth watching. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-TG944DwEM
    I brought mine from the range and was going to take it back until I watched the video. I had set my machine up wrong. I just need to buy some larger dies and embossing folders now I can cut up to A4. I am happy with my machine.

All the world's a scrapbook and I know the layout. susibee's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I am going to watch this thread with interest as I would like an A4 die cutting machine and initially looked at the xCut but the reviews weren't great and as I had an xCut guillotine for Christmas which is worse than useless I am concerned that their products aren't up to the job.

I'm toying with a Grand Calibur at the moment, anyone got any thoughts on this machine?
    Susi

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I am still playing with mine. I think part of my problem is I'm frightened of breaking it. Hubby had a go at cutting something today and it cut better because he gave it more pressure than I would have I think. I think he enjoyed playing with it to be honest.

Craft Superstore have it for 99 which is where I got mine from and the after sales service was amazing.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by susibee View Post
    I am going to watch this thread with interest as I would like an A4 die cutting machine and initially looked at the xCut but the reviews weren't great and as I had an xCut guillotine for Christmas which is worse than useless I am concerned that their products aren't up to the job.

I'm toying with a Grand Calibur at the moment, anyone got any thoughts on this machine?
    I bought an Xcut just before Christmas from Crafty Devils..... it was under £100 with free postage. I haven't had a chance to have a good play with it yet though.
    I thought about the GC but on another forum I belong to there have been
    several complaints about them breaking one lady has had hers replaced twice so in actual fact she's on her third and is wary about using it now.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

The only criticism I've heard about this machine is about the amount of room it takes up when in use. Other machines you can use take up much less worktop space....

View Gallery

I don't think its much bigger than the big shot.

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast