Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > General Scrapping

Notices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I really like mine as I am most definitely NOT a sewer, and although I have a small sewing machine, it is a real pain to get it out and set it up if I only want to do a little bit of stitching.

I have had problems with the force needed to pierce the page. I would get some pages where the tool had not gone through and I would have to re-pierce it with another needle, which would damage the page. So, as others have suggested, do practice on some scrap cardstock first.

I use a DO crafts 12x12 stamping mat which was designed to be used with acrylic block self cling stamps (were they call SeeDees?) and that is perfect. If you use the correct force you wont get any problems.

As for what to buy, I only bought the tool and the XXX head and the -----head along with white and black WRMK thread. I have not tried any other thread types in the tool. The thread is quite thick, and in some projects I would have preferred a thinner thread, so that is something for me to think about

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (4)
    Hi everyone thank you for all you replies so far.

I am not a sewer, the last bit of sewing I did, was a bit of cross stitching. I have had a look at the starter kit, I'm not sure whether to get it or just the tool and build up from there.

Someone has offered to sell me the kit, but without the thread. I don't know wether to accept the offer or not?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

You don't need special thread so any odds and ends could be used. A smooth thread is easier to pull through the card but the rest is personal preference. I've happily used finer metallic thread and been pleased with the results.

View Gallery

If it helps, I've never used their thread. I have a lot of DMC left from cross stitching and just use that. It works fine.

I can do cutting and sticking! PinkSparklyScrapper's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayne W View Post
    You don't have to sew I've used it and used the holes as a guide and used a white gel pen to mark the stitches rather than sew.
    I have used mine for faux sewing too

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I do quite a bit of sewing but only with a sewing machine I have seen it mentioned that you can use one of those wheels with spikes that are used for marking darts when dressmaking
    I have one of these. The holes it produces are pretty close together, so the stitching tends to look more like a machine stitch than a hand stitch, very compact. And it seems t be hard to keep it going in a straight line - Or maybe that's just me I did wonder if cutting something like a "channel" in a piece of cardstock would help? I caught just a very few minutes of some stamp&die show on one of the shopping channels the other day and the presenter suggested saving the waste of a die cut to place over the stamped image, for 2 reasons - one, to help "lock in" the die and get the most precise cut possible. But second, having the waste in place helps prevent the slight embossing you naturally get when cutting with the dies.

Now, that got me thinking, and what I think is if you cut a channel in a piece of cardstock, just narrower than the width of the roller bit, then lay it centred on the line you want the Sew Easy to follow, with the roller bit on the edges of the channel, then it will keep it from denting the cardstock AND help you stay straight as you roll. Does that make sense?

The complaints I have heard at crops are just these - it dents the card and doesn't actually pierce the cardstock, just marks it.

just don't call me The Boss MaryAnne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (20)
    OK, so I had to have a play

I used the little dressmaker's marking wheel and thought you might like to see it.

To be fair, I was using a pretty thick needle and 5-stranded shimmery floss. I did discover a few tricks for how to use the wheel to mark straight and to match up the holes as best I could, but my stitching is far from perfect. Still, it works well enough. From what I recall the Sew Easy does have different wheels for doing different stitches, and the wheel is not going to substitute for that, but for straight stitching it is cheap, readily available, and does the trick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not a complete idiot; some parts are missing! Jimjams's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    ...The complaints I have heard at crops are just these - it dents the card and doesn't actually pierce the cardstock, just marks it.
    That's been my experience with the Sew Easy Tool - especially with the wider wheels

I've used my sewing machine to make holes that I then use embroidery floss with - straight, zig-zag and fancier designs.

I'm wondering whether the Sew Easy might work better if I ran it over an ink-pad first and then used it to mark the stitch holes on the CS ...
    Jemma
    ScrappyCat

Holiday Bus Hufflepuff ♥Hearts♥ •CSI• »Lions« ~~Ships~~ ♫ Jingle Belles ♫ ►Explorers◄
    SLYMI: 47/52....My blog

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (17)
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnne View Post
    ....The complaints I have heard at crops are just these - it dents the card and doesn't actually pierce the cardstock, just marks it.
    I've heard that, too, but it's always from people who don't buy the Sew Easy mat. They try to use a substitute and for some reason it just doesn't work.