Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Cardmaking > Tips and Techniques

Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (3)

wonky cutting...

HI All

This is as much a bit of a moan as anything else but when I cut A4 card down to make cards it NEVER seems to line up quite right. I have just invested in a martha scoring board, which I'm really liking as my scoring was sometimes definitely the problem. But I am still finding as I line up my card on the board that it's not quite square. Its only a little bit off, but it is noticeable when the card is shut. This is all compounded by the fact I have just binned my trimmer (the trimmer woes are a whole nother rant lol) and am having to cut with a craft knife so my measuring is clearly a little off. I also checked the cardstock I was using - its A4 heavy weight textured card -and it turns out that is not 100% square either so assuming it must have been cut from bigger sheets prior to being A4. Again only a tiny bit but all these tiny bits add up to a slightly wonky card base!! Unfortunately a new trimmer is not in the cards for a few months until my bank balance feels a bit healthier after Christmas so if anyone has any tips at all (other than persevere and practice) for less wonky cutting I'd be most grateful!!! Also if anyone can recommend a nice smooth reasonably heavy white card stock that's good for bases, that would also be great!
    Thanks for listening to me complaining, lol!
    Julia

Paper addict extraordinaire Mystik Nat's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (5)
    I have invested in card blanks now rather than creating my own bases every time unless it's a specific colour I need. If it's just white and cream you want then I can really recommend the Papermania multi-packs - I got mine at the range and also like the kraft version.

I have found that a lot of cardstock isn't always 100% true so that causes problems from the start, and finding a trimmer that cuts true and straight is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have one friend who has the same brand of timmer as me and hers cuts perfectly straight, bought mine after trying hers and mine is slightly out... grrrr

If you do matting on any of your projects I am really tempted to get the perfect layers system, I have a cardmaker friend who recently bought this and she is seriously impressed. I may give in and give this one a go...

~ Natty ~

Loves playing with Studio BathBelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    When making a card blank I cut the card to the total size I want, score down the middle, fold it then, with my guillotine put the folded side up against the end, trim one side (which will be the top), turn round, and trim the other side (which will be the bottom) then trim the side opposite the fold, phew! Usually results in a "square" finish.

The other thing I now do is trim a very small strip off the r/h side on the back flap to make opening the card easier - yes it really works.

If making a card with lots of heavy embellishments of the front I trim, with a craft knife and ruler, a very small diagonal cut on the bottom of the back flap going up from the middle fold to the outside edge, makes the card tip back slightly to compensate for the weight on the front. IYSWIM.
    Ruth

View Gallery

[/QUOTE]Unfortunately a new trimmer is not in the cards for a few months until my bank balance feels a bit healthier after Christmas so if anyone has any tips at all (other than persevere and practice) for less wonky cutting I'd be most grateful!!!
    Julia[/QUOTE]

I've had several trimmers and it's so frustrating to find none were true, but I bought a 12" trimmer from Asda complete with a perforating and a deckle blade and it's perfect and only cost £5.
    Chris

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thanks for the tips all, I think card blanks may well be the way to go for me in the long term! The trimmer thing has been very frustrating as the first two just did not cut straight no matter what I did and the third, the blade kept cutting into the guard track and very quickly dulled the blade (which I then could not get a replacement for as they had been discontinued) and started making it cut wonky..! I saw a fab Fiskars rotary trimmer in some of the CHA releases but it was well over $100 so don't think I'll be getting that one!!

Card maker & occasional CR user! Tinabean's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (2)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one I'll also admit that even when I use my fiskers and line it up 'precisely' it goes wonky 7 times out of 10.

I did buy the set of three rulers (sorry, forget the anme) for matting and layering and I find these a god-send! They were a bit trickey at first and it's better to use thicker paper/card and to remeber not to glue/tape to near the edge.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I got these (Perfect Layers) for Christmas and I love them.

In fact I got two sets! They were on my wishlist, and DH bought them for MIL to give to me. Then a few weeks later he bought them for me. It was only when they arrived that he thought the package seemed familiar! So now I have duplicate set! I think I'll try to sell them, either at a retreat or on the marketplace. I've only found them on one site in the UK, and they are often (as now) out of stock, so someone may find them useful. They let you mat pictures or whatever on 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4 and 1 inch borders. You do still have to have a steady hand and be careful at the corners or your knife can slip and you get a slightly longer pointier corner than intended. I find it very difficult to cut the mats to size and then line them up perfectly to get an even border. I use them a lot for cardmaking rather than photo mats.
    Last edited by Eileen C; 02-02-2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typos
    Eileen

View Gallery

After seeing Perfect Layers mentioned earlier in this thread I managed to find some on a UK site this week. Have only done a practice piece with them so far but good results.
    Ruth

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (12)
    Which site did you find them on Ruth ?

View Gallery

I've pm'd you.
    Ruth

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I have had so many different trimmers I have lost count. None of them do what it says on the time so to speak. To get perfectly square card bases I take a4, score and fold, then trim by guillotine cutting the ends first with the fold against the top bar. I would be interested in the perfect layers tools for matting though....
    Best Wishes
    Tootsie (Diane)

View Gallery

Best two trimmers IMO is the one from Stampin' Up and one from Tonic Studios. The blades last slightly longer on the latter but replacements are more expensive than the former. Pricewise they are about equal but not cheap. I tend to use pre creased card though, much less hassle and if you buy them in bulk they aren't too expensive.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (7)
    The only way I've found to counter the problem of wonky cutting is to start with a piece of card stock larger than you need. Make a score line again slightly longer than you need, fold and cut through both layers with a ruler and either a stanley knife or other sharp blade. that way the card is perfect.
    Unfortunately manufacturers don't make precision cutting or measuring tools for the craft industry although they charge the prices

When making measurements many professionals first cut a small piece of to get a true straight line, then use a set square to make a small mark to get the next straight line and when measuring make sure you use either a mechanical pencil with a very thin lead or better still a pin point. Using a normal pencil can leave your line width out. After a while of doing it this way, it actually becomes quicker than getting out a trimmer and messing about to try and get a straight cut. (You can tell I'm a bit a**l about wonky cards lol)

View Gallery

Hi Im a total newbie to crafting and finding wonky placement is driving me a bit mad as well. I checked out the perfect layers they look good but Im wondering if your original piece of card is off would it still show after using perfect layers.

I also seen a thing on Youtube its a Get it straight laser square looked good for scrapbooking where you have 9 mattes to lay down but the lady showed her doing it with card making too. Maybe somebody on here has one already they could tell you if they find it a good tool

Hope that helps from one frustrated wonky crafter to another lol

View Gallery

Wonky layers are the hardest things to get right for us newbies, if you find a way please let us know. x