Sept19 _ Friday 5 _ 6th

by new2this

medieval

by Maria in France

Sept colour challenge

by sharon1973

Friday 5 - 30th Aug

by sharon1973

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

Charmed Cards & Crafts banner

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    East Kilbride, Scotland but my second home is in Beadnell, Northumberland
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Morning all. I totally agree Rosie Art journalling is for you. Im still learning and I wouldnt show anyone my first attempts, like my first scrapbooks pages they are so amateurish but they are part of the learning process. Keep giving it a go Gill and you will settle into anstyle that is truly you.

Im hoping to break out the paints this afternoon and while away the afternoon with my journal

Joint Red Ribbon House Leader

My Blog

Stamped heads/postage people ATC swap

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    I'm not "good" at art journaling as in I couldn't do it "professionally" but I do believe you can be taught enough techniques to be able to do even if you think you aren't artistic which is how I learnt - via Kate Crane's dvds - and I always considered myself completely lacking in art skills. And eventually you can come up with your own ideas.

I like using the words of others - via quotes or lyrics in particular - when they resonate with me so much that it feels like it was written about me but then if it's a personal page I will usually write what I feel about the lyric/quote.

I never though I'd use paint and a paintbrush until I discovered this fabulous website

And I don't think it matters if they are "good" or not, if you've got something to say and you create it as you are feeling there and then it's an expression of yourself and I can't really see how that can be criticised.
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I totally agree. In my mind art journaling isn't about producing pretty show-pieces at all - that's completely not the point. For some people it's about writing about personal things, and for others (like me) it's more about just trying different techniques and playing with different words and images which I've collected because I like them.

Yes, we might share pages which end up looking good, but for me the actual point of doing it is the process of experimentation and exploration. It's where I try out techniques with paint/ink/collage and just play around with words and images. At least 50% of my experiments go wrong and end up binned, or cut up and added to something else - they don't end up being finished pages at all. But that's all part of it - to find out what works and what doesn't!

It's not about what your page looks like at the end - it's about what you learned, or discovered, or had time to think about, in the process of making it.

If the page looks good at the end, then that's just a bonus.
    Last edited by Miss Lemon; 03-04-2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (22)
    Hi, I'm just starting to get into AJs, I've joined 21 secrets and I'm taking a class with Neil Walker next weekend, so I thought I'd pop down here for inspiration My pages feel very basic at the moment but I've been quite happy with a few, which is a good thing as they've been for CJs! Possible not the best way to learn and experiment, hopefully I won't disappoint the recipients! Doing pages for myself without a theme is a bit scarier!
    she art canvas

Make EVERY day your new blank canvas cantstopstampin's Avatar
    No longer in my little village, still in Staffs, but I AM happy !
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (15)
    thank you for the encouragement - but definitely not me, I get panicky and stressed when doing a page of art journaling - so I have given it up completely - but as I said 'all be it' very basic stuff - I am scrapbooking again and enjoying what I am doing.

Keep yours coming - it might one day inspire me to have a go again.
    ATC's - ATC's - ATC's - ATC's - ATC's

Have you EVER thought about making and swapping ATC's - come along and join us on the ATC trail : http://www.ukscrappers.co.uk/boards/...d.php?t=313678 My Blog:::: here

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    I found this on Pinterest, and its SO true ...

"Its not about what you get on the page, its simply getting it out of your head and onto paper"

So often this is true for me as a form of therapy - once I've got it out and down on paper I often discover that in the process I've worked it out, come to terms with it or whatever. Sometimes I even like the result!!

I don't see why CJs shouldn't be an excellent path that leads into art journalling - just think of it as setting your own theme, like "why I like being a woman" or "sorry to moan but I hate it when ....". Just go for it!

And then again, if it becomes a source of stress then it probably isn't for you - it should ideally be a stress-buster! Maybe its a case of "not now" rather than never?

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Hi JoPink,
    I've been art journalling (mixed media) just under a year now and I'm almost coming to the end of my first book. I didn't do much for a few months and have just got back into it. You can see my two latest attempts on my blog ( below my name) Despite there being many pages I would say only a couple of pages are any good. I'm a total novice to using paints, sprays, etc but I just enjoy the experience of learning. Some of my pages look very babyish but it doesn't matter,... I just enjoyed doing them.

Have a look at the wonderful pictures on here and have a look at utbe tutorials. I get lots of ideas and techniques from there. Very few of my pages end up how I wanted them to look but thats ok, As long as you enjoy experimenting stay with it.

Hi the rest of you. I think this is my first posting in this forum. I've only just found you so I think I'm going to stay, You seem a lovlely group of people
    Someone mentioned stencilling with gesso. I find Gesso too thin. I use molding paste which thicker and you can color it with oaints before spreading if you want to.

View Gallery

Ooh, newcomers - hello, and welcome! Do stick around and keep posting. The thread goes quiet for a while sometimes but other times it's really lively with chat.

I've just been having a big catch-up on all your blogs, and wow, you've all been doing splendid stuff! Really inspiring. I've been doing a bit of sketching, but mostly making cards recently, so I've not got any art journal pages to share, but once the weather warms up I'll be able to use the utility room as a studio again, so I can get the paints out (it's basically a lean-to, so it's too cold in winter).

Hope you enjoy your class with Neil Walker JoPink - do let us know how you get on.

Anybody else got crafty plans for the weekend?
    Claudia

East Kilbride, Scotland but my second home is in Beadnell, Northumberland
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    I am hoping to schedule in a bit of painty journalling time this weekend, its so theraputic.

Im very much a beginner but so enjoying the whole creative process.

I just love having a hop round everyone's blogs having a look at everything

Joint Red Ribbon House Leader

My Blog

Stamped heads/postage people ATC swap

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    Got to tell you guys about an interesting new (to me) media ... given to me as a present!! Derwent Inktense blocks - wonderfully intense colours, deeper than my Caran d'Ache crayons (and nothing like so expensive). Don't think they'll replace the crayons for me, but they are interesting and useful - you can cover quite a big area rubbing them on sideways. The paper in my journals is nothing special so I found a layer of gesso was needed. If you buy the starter set of 12 also get the gripper to hold the blocks, or you get ink all over your hands!

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Zullybelle View Post
    Got to tell you guys about an interesting new (to me) media ... given to me as a present!! Derwent Inktense blocks - wonderfully intense colours, deeper than my Caran d'Ache crayons (and nothing like so expensive). Don't think they'll replace the crayons for me, but they are interesting and useful - you can cover quite a big area rubbing them on sideways. The paper in my journals is nothing special so I found a layer of gesso was needed. If you buy the starter set of 12 also get the gripper to hold the blocks, or you get ink all over your hands!
    I've got them too Rosie, and I agree they are great. I've only used them for backgrounds so far but I like them. There's one big difference to Caran d'Ache neocolors: once you've wet Inktense and the colour is dry on your paper, it's fixed (no longer water-soluble). You can therefore use wet media on top without disturbing the Inktense layer at all. Quite different to the neocolors, and useful if you want to use white/pale posca paint pens on top of a darker colour etc (although I haven't tried yet).
    Claudia

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Anyone seen the Kelly Rae Roberts collection at clintons?

http://www.clintoncards.co.uk/gifts/...ly+Rae+Roberts
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (11)
    I love the Inktense pencils too. Once you add the water they are amazingly vibrant. The inktense blocks are good for colour washes too - you grate them and then add water
    Gill

Twisted sisters aj, Chinese whisper fabric swap, playing card stencil swap
    http://jillydoodling.blogspot.com/

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I've recently bought the Inktense pencils but haven't used them yet. I must use them soon. I saw a utube video of someone using them and they looked fantastic. Another great product which are a bit like crayons but much softer and creamier are Faber Castel Gelatos. They are lovely to work with.... softer than the neocolours and can be spread with the fingers and are water soluble so can be spread with a wet brush.... love them

I'm on the last page of my first journal and I want to make my own journal first. I'll will start my new one as soon as I make it LOL

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by cariad_1 View Post
    I've recently bought the Inktense pencils but haven't used them yet. I must use them soon. I saw a utube video of someone using them and they looked fantastic. Another great product which are a bit like crayons but much softer and creamier are Faber Castel Gelatos. They are lovely to work with.... softer than the neocolours and can be spread with the fingers and are water soluble so can be spread with a wet brush.... love them

I'm on the last page of my first journal and I want to make my own journal first. I'll will start my new one as soon as I make it LOL
    Ooh, those Gelatos sound interesting, but I have plenty of both neocolors and inktense blocks, so I definitely can't pretend I need to buy something else similar!

What type of binding are you going to use for your journal?
    Claudia

+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast