You've Got Questions. We've Got UKScrappers.

The Funny House

by scrapdolly

Chain link 1

by elainevking

Chain link 1 _ 15th

by new2this

chain link 3 _ 14th

by new2this

summer

by Maria in France

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I grew back ... like a starfish. Kitty Crafts's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (99)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violaceous View Post
    Ohhh yes on the video it shows you her wetting a paintbrush with water, running it round the edge of the image then it tears out really easily so that's what I've been doing.
    I used to do that with the handmade(mulberry?) paper too .. it gives a nice feathery edge I haven't used that paper in years

I may give the jumpstarts another go and if they don't 'grab' me then I'll bin them again
    Christmas Stocking Swap *** ATCoin Swap

Blog Thingy

ohhhh i seee :) thanks Violaceous's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (33)
    Ohhh that stuff that sometimes has the leaves in it? I've not used that for years either - I may have some, somewhere I'd have to dig it out though. It is lovely stuff - I may have some I bought 15 years ago but thought it too nice to use and so still have it
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    OK so who else has bought the new Distress Paints? I saw Tim HOltz doing a demo and thought they looked so great, and have bought half a dozen colours to see how I get on. Think they'll be perfect for art journals, and they promise not to be that chalky finish which sets my teeth on edge ....

NT is not 'normal' it is just common! Wisher's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (187)
    Will be interested to hear about them...am itching to get some but as I have loads of paint I'm finding it hard to find any justification
    Swaps: unofficial found poetry (sent - waiting for return) Stocking swap (sent and received) Trading Coins (sent)
    Gill x

View Gallery

I'd like to see a demo - so what do they do that's different to other paint? Like Gill I have quite a bit of paint so won't be buying any just yet, though I'm starting to run quite low on white and I neeeed white!
    I'm Siān Swaps: Alternative Postcard Mixed Media ATC CJ's: Twisted Sisters!!! Team: Secret Swappers House: Blue Brads Pinterest: spiritofsian Crafty Blog: Life In The Sunshine Personal Blog: God's Milk Let us be lovely and let us be kind and let us be silly and free. It won't make us famous it won't make us rich but dammit how HAPPY we'll be. Edward Monkton

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    I don't get mine until next month (boo hiss) but I'll be having a play. I'm not sure how they are different, apart from from other acrylic paints ranger do. Love the idea of the colours though. I'm expecting them to react like other fluid acrylics as that's what they seem to be.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (54)
    from the video I saw they are water reactive like the inks and stains - ie when you sprinkle them with water and blot - leaving a faded splat rather than just lifting entirely like a usual acrylic paint would do. Other than that I don't think they are much different. I don't think I'll be bothering, I have enough paint.
    Blog (warning, here be spoilers!) / Art Journals / Be-Stitched CJ

Unable to read a book without altering it.. Miss Lemon's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    I definitely don't need to be buying any more stuff myself, but I'll be interested to hear what you think Rosie (and anyone else who tries them).

Funny how some people take to things and others don't. It's like Tim Holtz distress inkpads. I know lots of folks love them, but I've never really got into them. They just sit in a drawer drying out, next to the Adirondack paint dabbers, which are also drying out. Having said that, even my favourite Golden paints and Neo color crayons are neglected at the moment, as I haven't done anything painty for a couple of months. I've been making cards and trying to master my sewing machine instead.
    Claudia

I have 2 blogs now: one for Arty Stuff... and one just for Cards

Dedicated Scrapper phoenix rising's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Not been on here for a bit, but thought I'd drop an idea in.

On the gelli-art Facebook page today someone talked about cutting one's own stencils with the Silhouette using acetate.

I've got a gelli plate & quite a few stencils, but had never considered using my Silhouette to cut my own. Can't imagine why, but am definitely going to give it a go.
    Lesley

Phoenix rising

View Gallery

You're so right - and the jury is out on the Distress paints here, because they don't seem to work so well on the paper in the journals I use! The tags TH used to demonstrate on might well be smoother and less absorbent? I am still experimenting ...

And I agree about the Distress inks too - I have quite a collection, but they don't seem to do anything that other water based inks can't do, and I have a big range of SU ink pads. I'm thinking of selling the distress inks because mine are just being neglected in a drawer.

View Gallery

I must admit I've not done much with mine lately either In fact I only seem to use my momento lately, mainly black for stamping images to colour in. Hmmm!

View Gallery

OK possibly unpopular verdict here ... not getting on with the Distress Paints at all. I think the problem may lie with the paper in my journals, which is nothing special but quite absorbent. The paint simply won't do what it does for TH when he demos it on a tag, and I'm wondering if its the surface? The paints just soak into my stuff whatever I do . I'm SO disappointed, I had hoped for great things in terms of backgrounds etc. Also finding that they don't always squeeze like they should, and it can be difficult to get paint out at all - and one bottle I had to remove a big blob that had gone a bit thick in order to get at more runny paint below.

Am I doing something wrong or do you think I'm right about the paper surface?

East Kilbride, Scotland but my second home is in Beadnell, Northumberland
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (16)
    Interesting to hear that Rosie. I feel the same about the Dylusions Ink Sprays and I have been putting that down to the paper I have been using.

Watching with interest as I do like the colours of the distress paints. Are these in the same format as the dabbers because all of the ones I have had of these have been a complete nightmare and can only be used if the top is taken off and they are stirred and used with a brush and loads have dried out rock hard

Joint Red Ribbon House Leader

My Blog

Stamped heads/postage people ATC swap

One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Maybe try a layer of gesso on your paper first Rosie. Make it less absorbent. It could just because they are do fluid. I'm presuming (as I'm too lazy to go look) that Tim demo's them on rangers tags, which, yeah are very smooth.

Suzycad - they're billed as being more fluid than the normal dabbers, but they come in dabber bottles with the applicator top. You can get replacement tops for them. The "new" dabbers are better - the ones that are in a squishy bottle. They changed the formula a couple of years ago. I chucked all my old ones and replaced them, as like you they were almost rock hard, but the new one's seem to have stayed fluid. The old ones are in bottles you needed hands of steel to get the paint flowing. HTH's.

View Gallery

Have to say that I didn't find them necessarily "more fluid", at least the paint IS more runny that ordinary acrylics, but twice I couldn't persuade it to squeeze through the dabber and it ended up squirting violently around the sides of the cap! Took some cleaning up too, and don't whatever you do get it on your clothes because I can't get it out. I'm sure you're right that its the paper I use, and I did try gesso but it didn't seem to help. Of course someone else will try them and rave about them ....

Am thinking of selling mine, six colours:-
    Forest Moss, Peeled Paint, Chipped Sapphire, Wild Honey (all virtually untouched)
    Mustard Seed and Spiced Marmalade were the ones I had horrible accidents with, so about a third is gone from these ...

£15 the lot plus postage anybody? If nobody here wants them I'll put them on the Marketplace, but thought I would offer them here first. I'm going to stay with ordinary acrylics and my gorgeous Caran d'Ache crayons. I've never really got on with the ink sprays either, but will persevere a little bit longer with them. What I really need is a box to make some kind of spray booth I think ....

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast