Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Dedicated Card Maker - Limited Sponsor - Shirley Anne's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuschia View Post
    Thanks Shirley, just tried that and still nothing. I've been into all of these and there's nothing like that anywhere (see below) am I looking in completely the wrong place?
    Have you expanded the Users folder Anne. I've highlighted it in your screen shot. Alternatively have you checked that it's not a hidden file.
    Click Control Panel
    Click Folder Options
    Click the View tab
    Click Show hidden files and folders
    If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating
    system files (Recommended)
    Click OK

I think that's how it works in Vista but I'm not sure as I only ever used it briefly on my hubby's laptop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

View Gallery

Can I be really difficult, I have just bought a new laptop that has Windows 8, so can anyone tell me how to do it using this system. I'm struggling to get my head round it as it is so different to any other windows I ever used.

Thanks

Suze
    Suze

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madgran View Post
    Can I be really difficult, I have just bought a new laptop that has Windows 8, so can anyone tell me how to do it using this system. I'm struggling to get my head round it as it is so different to any other windows I ever used.

Thanks

Suze
    Hopefully someone has got W8 and can help you Suze. I know what you mean by it being so different. I'm not looking forward to using W8 which will come eventually. Maybe you could contact Silhouette support if no one here can help, here's a link to their website.

Dedicated Scrapper - Limited Sponsor - Fuschia's Avatar
    View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Shirley Anne View Post
    Have you expanded the Users folder Anne. I've highlighted it in your screen shot. Alternatively have you checked that it's not a hidden file.
    Click Control Panel
    Click Folder Options
    Click the View tab
    Click Show hidden files and folders
    If you want to see system files as well, unclick Hide protected operating
    system files (Recommended)
    Click OK

I think that's how it works in Vista but I'm not sure as I only ever used it briefly on my hubby's laptop.
    That worked to get to me the 'show hidden file', thanks Shirley.

Clicked on everything in the list and there's still nothing about silhouette, I know there should be but I can't find it. Never mind, I back up to a click free anyway.

Thanks Shirley.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I couldn't work out how to do this for my new Win 8 laptop so I have just asked Silhouette America if they can reinstate my library files. I will update when I get an answer.

I did instal the new software and said my machine had already been registered. I had nothing in library files at all. When I opened the prgramme a second time in noted that I had had the programme before and suddenly I had 50 files in the library; I have certainly downloaded a lot of the weekly freebies. When I filled in my registered email address for downloading pending files I then got 5 more files came in but I had more than that I think because I had more than that with the original gift card that was with my Robo when I bought.

I never save my own files to the library but have those backed up on my external drive.

I will update this thread once Silhouette reapply my library and if I find out which files needs backed up for copying over in the future

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

This is the reply from Silhouette America:

The library structure is in the following location:

Mac: Open the "Finder" program and go to Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8
    PC - XP: Browse your computer to find C:>Documents and Settings>All Users>Application> Datacom.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8
    PC - Vista/7/8: Browse your computer to find C:>Program Data>com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8

NOTE: On a PC, the "Application Data" or "Program Data" folder cannot be seen, go to the Control Panel and select "Files & Folders" or search for the term "hidden" in the search feature of the Control Panel. This should provide an option to select "Show hidden folders".

If you strongly desires to back-up the library manually (including the folder structure), you may do the following:

Close the Silhouette Studio® software program
    Save the entire referenced folder above (with all sub-content) to an external memory device
    NOTE: Do not open or make any adjustment to the folder or files therein
    On the secondary computer in question, install the Silhouette Studio® software program
    Once installed, make sure that the software is not running
    Copy the referenced folder (with all sub-content) into the same location as previously referenced
    NOTE: This folder will be saved over the top of the newly installed program folder in of the same name in the same location

All library reference folder information is encrypted. We cannot assist in fixing any issues that result from users tampering with this folder. The library folder may be backed up for personal use only.

View Gallery

This thread is about 9 months old.

If you want to easily back up your library to put on another computer or reinstall in case of a computer crash Graphtec now sell a usb stick (it's not like an ordinary usb stick) especially for that purpose here

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I only added to this post as the rest of the post was about backing up the files for new laptops and there was some confusion about what happened for Win 8. I was in this situation and thought Silhouette America's reply might be needed by others and though best to keep in the same thread.

Sorry if that was not so.

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by LizGinSussex View Post
    I only added to this post as the rest of the post was about backing up the files for new laptops and there was some confusion about what happened for Win 8. I was in this situation and thought Silhouette America's reply might be needed by others and though best to keep in the same thread.

Sorry if that was not so.
    No need to apologise it's fine to add to the thread I just thought I would mention the usb backup in the same thread for anyone who wasn't aware of it

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Thank you Rosemary I have backed my files up that I have collected and purchased over the last couple years.xx

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    Thank you so much for this. Something I never do but have doe now. You're a star xxx
    ~Hazel~

View Gallery

I found the file and copied it onto an external hard drive but I expected it to be a big file but its only 6.84kb - a very titchy amount.

I have 265 designs and 85 patterns in my library. Just one file picked at random on my laptop showed that that particular studio file was 2.25MB. Either the com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 folder contains SERIOUSLY compressed data or Im doing something wrong.

As graphtech/studio sell back up and restore keys in 2GB/4GB and 8GB I MUST be doing something wrong!

Any ideas anyone please?

(for the record I found the com.aspexsoftware.Silhouette_Studio.8 folder in my Windows 7 laptop at C:\Program Files (x86)\Silhouette Studio\Resources\Resources\SPEC_SS2 )

Sharon

View Gallery

I trialed the first backup key from Graphtec I wasn't aware they had made larger ones but they do compress the files significantly. I've never backed up the way you did... maybe it's meant to be like that you could call or email Graphtec if you're worried

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DJG View Post
    I trialed the first backup key from Graphtec I wasn't aware they had made larger ones but they do compress the files significantly. I've never backed up the way you did... maybe it's meant to be like that you could call or email Graphtec if you're worried
    I will do just that. Thanks

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Have you checked with the size of your original folder to see how it compares?

The studio (vector) files themselves are usually fairly small, it's when you start adding images (for print and cut) that they will be bigger.

Rosemary
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."