If You Really Want To Know, Look In UKScrappers.

Aug wk 2 - Sun Worshipper

by butterbee

Aug wk 1 - 2 Peas

by butterbee

Dancers - August Week 1

by g61

Brothers in arms

by elainevking

Simple layout

by elainevking

Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > UKScrappers > Other Scrapping > Altered Art > Art Journals

Notices

ATDML banner

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    One day I'll be living the dream...
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (9)
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTazstic View Post
    I'm off to have a look at the retreat. Sounds right up my street - anything messy really!

How do I go about getting involved in AJ'ing on here?
    Hey TigTazstic (love the name btw!)

It's been a bit quiet in here recently. Think we're all just busy doing other stuff, but some of us are still being all arty farty in the background! Most of the AJ'ers tend to just chat in here. We talk about what we've been up to, products we love or hate, lots of links to interesting stuff knocking about as well. We all tend to take a tour round each others blogs, so if you have one, let is know and we'll happily visit it.

Talking of products, and being the lazy mare that I am I picked myself up some Gelli Plates. Fetched them from the post office this morning but not had chance to have a play with them. I know...I could make my own, but seriously I can't be bothered and if I look after these they should last me. Should being the theory. Anyone else tried them? I'm itching to get started, printmaking was one of my favourite subjects in college.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (42)
    Sounds good, can't wait to see what you do with them

Personal blog *
    Craftaholics TL & Blue Brad DTL * CJs: MojoII&III * SWAPS: Nada!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (32)
    Debz are you coming to the art retreat? Please let me know if you are. I am so excited to be working with Teesha Moore I'm fizzing and ready to pop. I think it's going to be amazing. It's the first time she's been to the Call of the Wild Soul so I hope she'll make it a regular thing after year

Obsessive maker of arty stuff Zullybelle's Avatar
    View Gallery

Trader Rating: (58)
    If its been quiet it might have been because I've been in Florida - still there actually but waiting in the airport to fly home! What is a gelli plate and do I need one? Can't wait to gt back to my journal I've really missed it, but sometimes a break inspires and rejuvenates you dunnit?u. At least I hope so!

View Gallery

Hi Rosie, hope you have a good flight home are you bringing contraband?

The best way I can describe a Gelliplate is like a reusable Lino printing system... You take the plate (block? Flat rectangle, either A4 or A5 size) and cover it with paint, then use various stamps, textures, etc to work onto the surface, which effectively impresses the gelli. Then you place your paper ontop and brayer over, revealing the negative of the design

Hopefully Vicki will have some professional wordage that explains it better...! Xx

Personal blog *

View Gallery

ooh, hope you had a nice time in Florida Rosie. So does that mean you've missed all the glorious sun we've had here and landed just in time for the rain and massive drop in temperature.

Gelli Plates - ermm, do you need it? No idea - do you? Would you want it - possibly.

All it is is a gelatin plate - you can make them yourself in a baking tray so that you get a nice flat surface. They're great for mono printing (which you can also do in a fashion just using a sheet of plastic) I loved print making when I was in college, mainly large lino block cuts and etchings, but I need a decent sized and weight of press. Mono printing is simple and quick.

So why I have dished out the cash for some.... because I'm lazy!! These, from what I hear as I still haven't done more than open the packets and go "ooooooh", clean up easily and are in nice neat packets to store them, plus I won't lose any baking trays to make one. And I can't be bothered to faff about making my own - or I would have done by now. They are expensive. Kid you not when I repeat - they are expensive especially when you work out the cost of making your own. "But" they should last me a looooong time assuming I look after them which bring me back to the nice little storage packets.

I suspect that they may not be for you though Rosie as you do need to use paint with them. You can use dyes and sprays but they do two things, firstly puddle on the surface more which means seepage on your prints which you may or may not mind, secondly stain your plates. Although staining doesn't stop the plates working for me it does inhibit my view of what I'm working on top of them. Although logic tells me the colour staining doesn't interfere my eyes will scream...stop...that's a crappy mess! Then again that's close to what I come up with half the time anyway

Did that help - or did I just babble on... better get on with some housework so then I might stand a chance of being able to play on Friday.

View Gallery

Told you!
    Actually Vicki, have you a link to the DIY versions you referenced please? Would be interested in having a look

Personal blog *

View Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by leanie View Post
    Told you!

I go on a bit sometime don't I?!

I don't have a link, it more old knowledge in my head. Somebody is bound to do have a YouTube on making your own or blogged a recipe for them. I'd have to go on the hunt to find it myself (another reason for not bothering...ah, that lazy gene strikes again gotta love it)

View Gallery

I've been googling but coming up nothing on gelli plate, will try googling monoprinting perhaps

Personal blog *

View Gallery

Try gelatin printing as Gelli Plate is the product name that this the manufacturers have given their product.

View Gallery

I was just coming back to say I'd found it under that, thanks Vicki! Except I got sidetracked and now am gng to do some home screen printing I think too x

Personal blog *

View Gallery

oooh fabulous!

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    I can see listening to Vicki is going to get me in a lot of trouble with my bank manager! I'm on a stash, not bank busting mission at the moment Boom, Boom

I'm not going to the retreat as I had a look and thought I might have to be a bit of a drawer - I'm more of a splodge it on and see what happens AJ'er! Think of me as the two year old who has been given a few bottles of paint, but with a bit more knowledge and a lot more stash.

My current favourite technique is layering paint and removing layers using masks, water or just baby wipes. Probably saw it on You Tube which is my bestest and worstest friend at the same time! What's everyone else's current fav technique?

I'm part of a points collecting group now so I really should get some pages done and uploaded. Does anyone know where I can get a keyboard cover so I don't have to clean up first?

PS. The name comes from my two cats, although I only have one know Tigger and Taz - I didn't want to be seen to have a favourite, lol

View Gallery

Sounds good

Personal blog *

View Gallery

I have looked at that retreat before and thought how fab it looks. I love the work of some of the artists involved, but in all honesty it's a wee bit pricey and it's quite a distance for me to get there. I do love just getting away, even if it's for a day to get all arty farty. It's a guilt free way of indulging myself.

I am going across to Dyans next month to do a canvas for the day for that exact reason, and I know I'll enjoy the company. It's something I could easily do myself at home, but that's not the point of me going. Sometimes I just need to escape the day to day and being at my desk isn't far enough away from it.

I'm not sure I have a favourite technique as I tend to use several at a time.

Oh - listening to me - yeah, it could be dangerous for your pocket... think how I feel running a shop. Or rather you should see DH's face when I say "I'm going to start stocking....." Good job he loves me!

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast