Donate with PayPal to help keep UKS online!

Go Back   UKScrappers > Forum > Special Forums > Cutting Machines - chat, help. templates > Cutting Machine Chat

Notices

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (0)

How not to use a Cameo?

I have just received the latest edition of a cardmaking magaizine that I subscribe to. (I don't think I can give the name here) On the last page is a lovely "Thank You" card, The first instruction tells you to: Select the Flower and Leaves Design from the Silhouette Cameo software. Resize to 12 x 9cm. Insert a white gel pen into the blade holder. Add tape around the neck of the pen so that it fits snugly (Obviously, the writer des not know about pen holders!). Press "cut" to draw the design onto grey card. USING A CRAFT KNIFE, cut around the design!!!!
    What? Why would they think that anyone would buy a Cameo to draw? Given that the Cameo appears as the first item on the "Shopping List" for the instructions, I wonder what the writer was really thinking?

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Have a look in this section.....cards. toppers, & atc's........lineart designs for cards and toppers. There are beautiful designs done with a pen

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    good one Bendog,
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (1)
    Doreen, isn't Bendog meaning why cut round the drawing with a craft knife, not the fact of the Cameo drawing?
    Grace I'm getting there, 1 step at a time

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (25)
    Ooops sorry Bendog I read that wrong. Thank you Grace, trust me to get it wrong LOL.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (19)
    The proof reader must be rubbish!!!! lol

View Gallery

It really looks to me that the writer seems to intend that you use the Cameo for the drawing and, because it would take a few more lines to explain how to do an offset on the design which you would then cut out also using the Cameo, cut it out with a craft knife - the time they quote for making the card is 35 minutes - I think it would take me that long to cut the design with a knife and that is before I started to actually do all the other matting, layering and using ribbon on the rest of the card. It is rare to see anything for the Cameo in any of the magazines, apart from, maybe, a review. It is a shame that people reading this will not know what is really possible.
    Just to add one more thing, they also failed to mention that it is a paid for file they are using.
    Last edited by bendog; 26-03-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

Oh Dear It Sounds like Who ever Wrote it was only trying to get accross the Pen function part of it!! May well have been Written before the pen holders where out on the market!! Plus it may have been edited by a none crafter For the mag... to try and make it seem more reader friendly to a complete novice!!

Most if us (well I do..) use a pen for drawing a card design or topper And THEN use the blade to cut it out!!

Write in to the Mag Hunny or Email them Pointing out There Errors!! You never know.. they may send you a freebie Gift!!

View Gallery

I bought my pen holder with my original Craft ROBO in 2009 and the article specifically mentions a CAMEO in the "Shopping List" and that has only been available here since the end of last year.

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

I got my pen holder too with my original robo.. it wasnt classed as am accessory back then... I dont think....

Have you emailed the mag yet?

View Gallery

Yes, I have emailed the editor of the magazine. I wonder if I will get a reply? This is what I wrote.

"First of all: it is a beautiful card.

However:
    In the Shopping List, the first item is: Silhouette Cameo Machine. This is an item that costs £289 (if they had one in stock) from the suggested site where it is sold as a Cutting Machine. I was quite excited to see this as I have owned a Cameo since last November when I purchased it as a replacement for my Craft ROBO. It is unusual to see anything in a magazine for Cameo owners at all.
    The first item in the instructions is to “Select the Flowers and Leaves design from the Silhouette Cameo Software”. It does not mention that this is a paid for file available from the Silhouette Store at $0.99. (neither does this appear in the Shopping List).
    Continuing with the first Instruction it says “Insert a white gel pen into the blade holder. Add tape around the neck of the pen so that it fits snugly.” Silhouette have a pen holder that actually fits in the blade holder to allow you to do this properly.
    After telling you to draw the design onto grey card, the instructions go on to say: “Using a craft knife, cut around the design”. Now I certainly did not buy a machine costing almost £300 to use a craft knife to accomplish what that machine is actually designed to do! Looking at the finished card, I would also suggest that the person making this did actually use the Cameo to achieve the perfect result they have.

It is obvious that space was limited for this article, but it would have been so much better if it had shown what a Silhouette Cameo could actually accomplish by giving it the space it deserved. The Cameo and the Craft ROBO are great machines with a flexibility missing in many of the others available and it would have been really good for those of us who own and love our machines to have been given the opportunity to refer those who are unsure of whether the machine is for them to the fact that one of the most popular cardmaking magazines in the UK had shown some of its capabilities."
    Last edited by bendog; 27-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.

View Gallery

Trader Rating: (24)
    Quote Originally Posted by tazzy View Post
    I got my pen holder too with my original robo.. it wasnt classed as am accessory back then... I dont think....
    I got mine included too with my original Robo - it was only with the later machines it became classed as an optional accessory, probably because they'd started offering the extra large bore one as an alternative.
    Rosemary

PS Bendog I hope you get a reply, and I'd hope they might either print your letter or add a correction, explaining that you do actually use the machine to cut your designs!
    "The main reason people buy those machines [Craft Robos] is to cut out words and lace doily patterns for their scrapbooks."

View Gallery

I got a reply as follows: "Many thanks for your email. We always welcome feedback, both good and bad, so I’m glad you got in touch.

Firstly, please accept my apologies for the errors in the description of this card. While we try our utmost to ensure the steps and shopping list for each card are accurate and clear, it is the designer who provides the information for this – how they made the card and with what materials – and the steps are put together based on this information. Unfortunately, in this instance, it seems the information provided was not as clear as it could have been, which has resulted in the confusion within the steps.

However, we’ll certainly consider more cards made using the Silhouette Cameo Machine following your comments."

Dedicated Scrapper
    View Gallery

At Least they Replied!! and seemingly passing the buck to the designer of the card...
    plus the last sentence Was That an invite for you to send in one of yours With correct information????